Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo's next handheld.. the 3DS

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was thinking about picking up a DSi XL... but now with this news, I guess I should wait.

By the way, that video is not a tech demo - that's a game that's already out.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I was thinking about picking up a DSi XL... but now with this news, I guess I should wait.

Cool. I might pick it up used at some point to check out the effect in person.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

dude i would stick with a ds lite and wait and see. Friend of mine whos tech crazy scoffed at me not getting a dsi and sticking with my lite, but then he found out the i has half the battery life of the lite, cot 50 bucks more and didnt have a gba slot anymore so that was thousands of games out of the picture. The xl is basically the dsi for the elderly, and its advertised as that. for one thing its a larger screen with the same number of pixels, so all those shittier ds games just look shittier. its massive and doesnt fit in your pocket easily and the battery is just about up to the ds lites again.

Honestly the rule of handheld purchases' today is get the dslite or the psp-3000. all the other versions do is add problems or take stuff away.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    dude i would stick with a ds lite and wait and see. Friend of mine whos tech crazy scoffed at me not getting a dsi and sticking with my lite, but then he found out the i has half the battery life of the lite, cot 50 bucks more and didnt have a gba slot anymore so that was thousands of games out of the picture. The xl is basically the dsi for the elderly, and its advertised as that. for one thing its a larger screen with the same number of pixels, so all those shittier ds games just look shittier. its massive and doesnt fit in your pocket easily and the battery is just about up to the ds lites again.

Honestly the rule of handheld purchases' today is get the dslite or the psp-3000. all the other versions do is add problems or take stuff away.
    B-b-but I like the big screen! And it has a built-in camera and WEB BROWSER!!!1!!1!one!!1

Seriously, though. I do like that stuff. I had a DS Lite before and loved it, but always wished the screen were a bit bigger. I don't mind the low battery life and the fact that it can't fit in my pocket because I usually just play DS in bed anyway.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    B-b-but I like the big screen! And it has a built-in camera and WEB BROWSER!!!1!!1!one!!1

Seriously, though. I do like that stuff. I had a DS Lite before and loved it, but always wished the screen were a bit bigger. I don't mind the low battery life and the fact that it can't fit in my pocket because I usually just play DS in bed anyway.
    Come now Mike, WUT are you browsing on a ds? easier to hold that in one hand than a lap top sir, suits you sir, wink wink, nudge nudge.

-also, everyone knows the ds is for use in the bathroom, EVEN GIRLS:

-also, the psp is for playing whilst sitting upside down on a sofa, head by the floor, feet by the head cushion. if you aint sat like that in over a decade you arent living.

Super Moderator

Germany
    This is a demo of a different piece of tech, but it shows more clearly what I think Nintendo may have in mind:

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Now that would be cool. I must say I'd have to atleast give that a chance.

Also, let's keep in mind that the tech is just emerging. It normally takes a few iterations of a new product for the devs to get it right.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Great. Nintendo makes another system that appeals to children...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    Great. Nintendo makes another system that appeals to children...
    wait.

THE COMPANY BEHIND SUPER MARIO, PIKMIN, COOKING MAMA, ZELDA AND POKEMON TARGET KIDS?!?

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Undisclosed
    Man I cant wait to play that game were you have a bb in a box with a maze filled with holes on a nintendo handheld!
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Every game system appeals to children especially ones off massive corperations that advertise theirs as 'mature' and 'adult' and throw in destructive and violent games. Say what you want about Nintendo (or what your told to think by Sonys viral marketting) but they are up front about what their all about.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Looks like Ars Technica likes it. Here is a hands on preview:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...works-well.ars

And here is the image if you aren't interested in the preview itself...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Yeah im totally eating my hat on this. i expected shit, a minor upgrade. when it totally blew me away. i probably want this more than any console since maybe the dreamcast or ps2.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i probably want this more than any console since maybe the dreamcast or ps2.
    Same here, the software lineup is incredible so far. Dead or Alive, Metal Gear Solid 3D, Pilotwings, Mario Kart, Ocarina of Time, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, New Resident Evil, Street Fighter 4...just great stuff.

PSP is pretty much finished, methinks.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Same here, the software lineup is incredible so far. Dead or Alive, Metal Gear Solid 3D, Pilotwings, Mario Kart, Ocarina of Time, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, New Resident Evil, Street Fighter 4...just great stuff.

PSP is pretty much finished, methinks.
    Yeah, the current 3 consoles are all a base of taste, but the 3ds literally outdoes the psp in every technical way. unless the psp2 shows up and blows us out the water with its divine magnificence- who will look between a psp and 3ds and think psp is the one to buy?

No-one.