Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo's next handheld.. the 3DS

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, it's a shame that a portable device with such potential turned out to be such a clusterfuck.

What's the psp lifespan at now? 5 years?

if it hasn't happened by now then it probably won't.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed
    Im getting one mostly because im a slave to two franchises MG and RE but mark my words this has wii fad written all over it. 3d is cool and all but on that shrinky dink screen it will quickly loose its luster. Unless they decide to do something crazy like have some hd out port or adapter(which wont be 3d but has more power under the hood the the wii) this thing is just gonna fade out*. Im far more interested in what lies ahead with things like playing Killzone 3 in 3d with move. And for the record Microsofts shitty e3 show was used for mass market PR... they know they can get the cores attention anytime they want because the core pretty much pays attention to gaming news year round... They will be showing Kinect for the core before launch.

*By fade out I mean loose core support... I doubt it will fade in mass appeal aslong as the price point is right Nintendo and Apple will continue to own the handheld market.
    Last edited by CooperWasRight; 17-Jun-2010 at 06:02 AM.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Twitching

Undisclosed
    A while ago it was rumoured to be 'close to the 360 and PS3 in power' but this could have been a misconception.
    There were demos at Nintendo's conference and on the showroom floor showing:
    Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater with normal mapping, the player was able to play with the camera angle so it was running in real time.
    Resident Evil they had character models on display that looked low poly but highly detailed, the screenshots imply the game will play like Resident Evil 5.
    Pikmin was also shown.
    This handheld has gotten far more support then the Wii did and I think it is basically that only with a GPU with better support for programmable shaders, you can get good vsual results on Wii (check out Gamecubes finest) but devs just don't like TEV.
    The device also has a gyrascope which could be used for aiming but also has the stylus which worked well for aiming in Metroid Prime Hunters.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CooperWasRight View Post
    Im getting one mostly because im a slave to two franchises MG and RE but mark my words this has wii fad written all over it.
    Unfortunately i seems as if gimmicks are what nintendo has been "reduced to. (Although I'm sure they will point out their dominant sales numbers)

But to people like us who really game, stuff like this just doesn't cut it.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Unfortunately i seems as if gimmicks are what nintendo has been "reduced to. (Although I'm sure they will point out their dominant sales numbers)

But to people like us who really game, stuff like this just doesn't cut it.

This statement makes no sense. Differentiate between gaming technologies' innovations and 'gimmicks' of the past, would you kindly?

Nintendo cant make a handheld ps3, they are limited by current technology and what they can actually make handheld. the 3ds is a substantial step up from the ds and psp.
    This isn't even like the wii where you would see a bunch of waggle shovelware. the 3ds displays 3d video without glasses, it isnt a new way to play games, its a new way to immerse the player. metal gear solid will still play like metal gear solid. but in the jungle the trees close to the screen will look close to you and the ones in the distance will look discernibly far away.

Thats not a gimmick, thats just making the game worlds feel less like a flat window. The primary goal of selling a device is making it the most immersive experience possible, be that through multimedia, live connectivity to friends or in this case, making it so something in resident evil jumping out at you is "really" jumping out at you.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Gimmick as in something you don't need and the public wasn't exactly clamoring for being shoved down our throats. Just because it's new.

I resent being told what's the next cool thing. I'll make that decision for myself.

It's like the I pod. "Yes spend 400 more dollars because we added 2 buttons to the side of it and shitty speakers."

These companies sucker the public with incremental upgrades (not saying this is the case here) and basically leaving you with an obsolete paperweight that you paid good money for not long after you bought. perhaps that's more what my gripe is about.

I bought a launch 360 sans hdmi upport. Not even a year later they come out with gues what? An hdmi model. WTF?

How many DS' have come out in the past 2 years now? 3?

Now there's a brighter scree. No now the screen is bigger. No wait! Now there's a camera in it! Stop it already.

Last edited by darth los; 18-Jun-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Gimmick as in something you don't need and the public wasn't exactly clamoring for being shoved down our throats. Just because it's new.

I resent being told what's the next cool thing. I'll make that decision for myself.

It's like the I pod. "Yes spend 400 more dollars because we added 2 buttons to the side of it and shitty speakers."

Another gimmick.

Kinda sounds like videogames 30 years ago.

or tvs 60 years ago.

or cars 90 years ago.

We don't need any of them, or clamour for them before they are out. They just offer something new, and that beats more of the same.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post

or tvs 60 years ago.

or cars 90 years ago.

We don't need any of them, or clamour for them before they are out. They just offer something new, and that beats more of the same.
    Im sorry but 3d on a portable is absolutely a gimmick pure and simple. Its like 5.1 in a car it nifty to say you have it but it is impractical and doesn't really properly take advantage of the tech. I don't give a shit if it is the best 3d you have ever witnessed(it's not according to the E3 consensus) its on a dinky screen... Im sure its cool(according to the E3 consensus) but it is plain and simply a gimmick

gim·mick
       /ˈgɪmɪk/ Show Spelled[gim-ik]
    –noun
    an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.

This is likely not really going to be a blip in the way we play games in the future...This is no great milestone in the gaming evolution...What the Ps3 or 360 is doing in the way of 3d gaming+ motion controls is more likely to be looked back on as part of the evolution in gaming.
    Among the Dead

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This is terrible news considering my GF and I just recently purchased a DSi XL (she's not that into new gaming, so I figured the XL would be better for her). Unless this thing isn't coming out for like a year, then I'm fine with it. But if it's coming out in 2010?
    SHIT.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post

or tvs 60 years ago.

or cars 90 years ago.

Yes, but those items don't come out with upgrades every year that make everything that comes out after that inaccessible to anyone who hasn't bought a new one.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    3DS GPU revealed
    http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=127558

In english: it's Gamecube - Xbox level, not quite Wii level but more developer friendly.
    You won't be seeing Rebel Strike on this but Metal gear Solid 3 with normal mapping is no problemo.

Undisclosed
    These are dated specs on the chip.... Most believe this is from there 2008 or possibly there 2006 chip.

Here is something from there 2008 press sheet... http://i49.tinypic.com/ws4d3l.jpg
    Among the Dead

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

3DS Skipping Holiday Release

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Resident Evil Revelations
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFWPM...layer_embedded
    Metal Gear Solid 3 3DS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msLJPYC2jUY
    Street Fighter 4 3DS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGslprZGEGo

It's looking better and better even though there's alot of ports.
    There's Zelda too but it looks weak, it's like the N64 game with a fan mod, I'm holding out hope that what has been shown is Beta's and that Nintendo will have something at least Twilight Princess quality.

United States
    It seems they're giving third parties a little room to breathe on the day of release in Japan, which I can appreciate, but I was hoping to pick up Zelda with my 3DS. Maybe it will be ready in time for the US launch.

Here's a new video showcasing new titles including Kingdom Hearts, Mario Kart, Starfox, and pretty much every title announced so far:

This thing finally got me interested in Nintendo again, can't wait to finally see the 3D effect when I get it in my hands.