Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo's next handheld.. the 3DS

Twitching

Undisclosed
    RE Mercs and Revelations are alot like 4 and 5.

I have been watching a few MGS3 videos on Youtube and now imagine what 3D will do for the cutscenes, for bosse The Pain and The Fury and for events like The Sorrow. It would stink if they gave up 3D halfway through after Snake loses a eye...

United States
    New OoT trailer, can't wait for this:

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Sony dropped a bomb on Nintendo at their press conference they announced the PS Vito, a portable PS3, with the Wifi model costing $250, but Nintendo launched a nuke when they presented all the software coming to 3DS including Super Mario 3D and - out of nowhere - Luigis Mansion 2. What do gamers want more, PS3 ports or inventive takes on classics from the N64, PS2 and Gamecube?

United States
    While I think the Vita priced @ $250 makes the 3DS look overpriced, the software lineup this Fall has me seriously cutting back on my 360 purchases.

Anyone in Europe pick up OoT 3D today? I'll be grabbing it tomorrow, as it seems to be the definitive version. 95 on Metacritic so far:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/t...critic-reviews

The 3D effect is supposed to be the best so far on the system, as well.
    Last edited by CoinReturn; 17-Jun-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: link

United States
    Netflix now available

The new Netflix application for Nintendo 3DS displays movies and TV episodes in 2D on the system's upper screen. Users will soon have access to an additional library of select movies that can be viewed in 3D without the need for special glasses.
    From what I've watched, picture quality is good considering the screen resolution, and the sound quality is great. I guess having Netflix on another mobile device isn't a bad thing.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I downloaded the E3 trailers and am really looking forward to Metal Gear Solid 3 the depth was great, much better then the 3D in Resident Evil Mercs and Revelations.
    Kid Icarus just blew me away.

United States
    Holy shit! Nintendo is dropping the 3DS to $169.99! A much more fair price, imo:

neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438813

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESSWIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.
    A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.
    The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.
    Luckily for us early adopters, Nintendo isn't leaving our dicks flapping in the wind. Those of us who bought it @ $250 will be treated with 20 free virtual console games.
    Last edited by CoinReturn; 28-Jul-2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Damn phone

Undisclosed
    I finally bought one. I purchased the special edition Zelda bundle, a copy of Super Mario 3D Land, and a carrying case at Best Buy this morning.

United States
    You made a good choice on the Zelda bundle, that themed 3DS is beautiful. How far are you in Mario? It's deceptively easy at the beginning, but the challenge eventually ramps up big time.

Undisclosed
    I am only at the beginning of the second world. I have been playing the new Assassin's Creed game, which I just beat. I have only played Mario 3D very briefly, but I did mess around with the other features and downloaded : Super Mario Land "Gameboy", Link's Awakening DX "Gameboy Color", and Dr Mario.

I am very impressed with this handheld so far and the 3D in Mario 3D is a nice change. I have read that Zelda : OoT 3D is superb in visual quality.

I lucked out with the Zelda bundle. There were plenty left when I arrived, but late in the evening, the 3DS crapped out on me. The blue on light was lit, but I had a dual black screen. It worked fine earlier, so I let it charge. I picked it up, so I could check out the shop channel and it would not work. I drove back to Best Buy and they had three left on the table with a couple of Mario bundles as well.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    These past few months I bought for 3DS
    Starfox 64 3D - Not that impressive and very short, it is suitable for a handheld with the option to revisit any mission but there's so much missed opportunity for example the original idea for Starfox 64 was to have four players, I think it could have been achieved in 2011 on a portable as powerful as 3DS with all these WiFi options.
    Super Mario 3D Land - It's Mario Galaxy Lite and perfect for 3DS with a combo of 2D and 3D gameplay.
    Resident Evil Revelations - This one really shows the 3DS potential, single player is like they took Lost in Nightmares and expanded on it I really like the controls, I dont have a circle pad pro but found using the gyroscope for aiming more then sufficient though I have t turn to 3D off to do it. Raid mode is brilliant, it's portable RE5 minus splitting up.
    Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D - This has been universally panned but I think their being too picky, MGS3 is all there with a few revisions. I like to customise camo suits with the photo, it also allows you to walk with aiming and shooting and many character models have been enhanced. It would have been more ideal if it had gyroscope aiming but it's Kojimas first 3DS game and the button controls aren't all bad.

I have high hopes for 3DS and hope both Revelations and Snake Eater have legs in sales to provide more of those types of games, they haven't done that bad though and there are contributing factors such as MGS3D's value next to the HD collection and Revelations might be a indicator survival horror is a dead genre.

Undisclosed
    I enjoyed Resident Evil: Revelations, but the 34d was blurry. When switched to 2d the graphics are comparable to RE 4. I liked the 1st person-view. Btw, Punchout! NES is on their shop channel.

United States
    Kid Icarus is receiving some great reviews, can't wait to pick it up on Friday:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/kid-icarus-uprising

And yeah, I picked up Punch-Out, that game features some truly timeless gameplay. I've gotten up to Piston Honda but he keeps knocking me out.

Undisclosed
    Piston Honda is a chump in both fights. A tip for beating him quick. After he hops around and moves forward during his special attack, hit him in the stomach for a KO.

-- -------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Piston Honda is a chump in both fights. A tip for beating him quick. After he hops around and moves forward during his special attack, hit him in the stomach for a KO.
    I forgot to add. I have beaten Piston Honda in under a minute in the 1st found.

Undisclosed
    New games coming soon to the U.S. : Kingdom Hearts 3D; New Super Mario Bros 2; Castlevaniva-Lords of Shadows sequel; a new Fire Emblem, Paper Mario Sticker Star. To name some. 2012 is looking good for the 3DS.