Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your 10 Most Favorite Horror Films (And Why)...

Scotland
    I don't have the time just yet to go through my top 10, Dawn is the obvious number one for me as it brought me into this genre so beautifully.

Just wanted to make a special mention to the movie Session 9, the Asylum they are hired to clear out is plain creepy, the characters are portrayed very well and the suspense is nicely done.

England
    I enjoyed "session 9" it was pretty neat.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    1.Day of the Dead- The first zombie movie I ever watched at age 9 at my slumber party. I was traumatized and deeply fascinated at the same time. Didn't sleep for a week after and cried when Bub found Logan dead. To this day, all the girls who stayed over that night, remember that sleepover because of that movie.

2.Dawn of the Dead '78- After the Day of the Dead sleepover incident, I was banned from watching any horror movies until I was 12 and this was the next one I watched. I loved it and probably rented it 30 times.

3. Aliens- My brother and I watched it at our Uncles place when we were probably 7 or 8 and we were hooked for years. We had the Alien figurines and played with them all the time. I even bought my brother replacement ones on his 21st birthday. To replace the ones we either broke or lost as kids. I know, I'm the coolest sister ever!

4&5. NOTLD- '68 and '90- Watched them both one after the other and was hooked. I loved all the news broadcasts from the original. It made it feel very real. Night '90 just scared the pants off of me. I was only about 14 or 15 then. I love them both for what they are.

6. The Stand- I read the book first at age 11 and then watched the movie when it came on t.v at age 12. I was oblivious to the cheesy-ness of it and now when I watch it, I look past that and enjoy the movie for what it is.

7. Return of the Living Dead- Loved this movie!! Tar man was epic and I would love to meat Clu, James and Don. They MADE this film what it is, IMHO.

8. Silence of the Lambs- Watched it with my best friend when we were in our teens. Scared us silly.

9. Cujo- Was very frightening to watch as a teen. My neighbour had a St. Bernard and I never looked at her the same way again.

10. Pet Sematary- Sometimes dead is better.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    In no particular order...

Star Wars Holiday Special[/b]

i just got my hands on a copy of this thing. i hadn't seen it since it was aired in 78 and wish i hadn't wasted the time to watch it again.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Horror Movies
    -------------
    (1) GAR's Day of the Dead - Great atmosphere, creepy setting, loved the research/experimentation aspect of the Dead

(2) GAR's Dawn of the Dead - A great romp through post-zombie apocalypse. Had me reliving the moments again and again wondering what I would've done.

(3) Salem's Lot - A great story perfectly adapted to screen. Edge of the seat creepiness, great characters.

(4) The Sixth Sense - The return of storytelling to horror!! What an incredibly inventive and well thought out plot.

(5) The Stand - Epic tale well adapted to screen.

(6) GAR's Night of the Living Dead - The one that started it all for zombies!!

(7) The Exorcist - Based on a true story?!? Hell yes!! And I mean HELL!!

(8) The Amityville Horror - Loved that haunted house vibe.

(9) Dracula (yep, the original) - The one that started it all for vampires!!

(10) Land of the Dead/Dawn of the Dead '04 - that's right, I lumped them together and included them in my top 10 list, but only as a duo - two movies that both have action, great characters, and zombies... and both have plot holes, irritations, and drawbacks... these two movies should be married they fight so much!! Mwwwuuhahahahaha

Movies that SHOULD be called horror
    -----------------------------------
    Mama Mia - romance, musical, Meryl Streep = horror. I sat through this thing in the theater, for crap sake, then had to "discuss" it.
    Star Trev IV - whales, seriously?
    Star Trek VI - searching for peace??

Horror/Comedy
    -------------
    Chopping Mall
    Killer Clowns from Outer Space
    Bad Taste - so unbelievably funny
    Student Bodies - seriously, see this movie
    Army of Darkness
    Bubba Ho-Tep
    Shaun of the Dead
    Frighteners - probably deserves to be good old horror
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post

(10) Land of the Dead/Dawn of the Dead '04 - that's right, I lumped them together and included them in my top 10 list, but only as a duo - two movies that both have action, great characters, and zombies... and both have plot holes, irritations, and drawbacks... these two movies should be married they fight so much!! Mwwwuuhahahahaha
    I know the mods shit kittens when an old discussion is dug up from its grave like Ed and Joey grave robbing in ROTLD2, but, i just got into a reading mood tonight and when i saw that pic for #10 and the following comment I just had to chime in.

I think it is a bloody brilliant idea and they are already sort of married -

CLOSE YOUR EYES MZ - LMAO

But since they spend their life on DVD and Blu-Ray horror packs together since 2007 I just had to chime in on the marriage comment.

Everytime I see that pack in the store I just want to buy it and send it to MZ as a present with a picture of me with the biggest shit-eating grin you have ever sene with a caption card that says...

DON'T CHA JUST LOVE THEM... Aren't they cute?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Everytime I see that pack in the store I just want to buy it and send it to MZ as a present with a picture of me with the biggest shit-eating grin you have ever sene with a caption card

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Yeah that pretty much sums it up
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    Exorcist- one of my top 3 flicks of any genre

Dawn

Omen

Dracula 1931 with Lugosi. Honorable mention to the Mexican version that was filmed at night on the same set at the same time. The Dracula looks like a waiter but Mina is alot hotter.

Bride of Frankenstein- better than the original due to Elsa Lanchester.

The Legend of Hell House. Great haunted house story with very cool cinematography and creepy music.

Night Stalker- great made for tv movie that began the Carl Kolchak series.

Nosferatu- the remake by Werner Herzog. Beautiful locations and cinematography.

The Abominable Dr. Phibes- campy good fun from Vincent Price.

The 9th Gate- by Polankski. Not really that great but anytime its on tv I find myself watching all over again so something must be there. Honorable mention to Polanski's Fearless Vampire Killers done early in his career and with Sharon Tate in the movie also.

Near Dark- almost forgotten vampire flick thats like a cross of The Wild Bunch but with vampires. Nasty goodness.

Super Moderator

UK
    1) As long as something new/related to the thread is being added then fine - it's really only a problem if someone digs up an old-arse thread just to say "I agree" or something pointless ... whereas here new content is being added, so that's fine and dandy.

2) Haven't Land and Shaun been combined in double packs though?

As for that Yawn/Land double pack ... that's always given me the heebie jeebies ... ... just like everytime I look at my super awesome 4-disc Ultimate Dawn DVD and see the 2-disc Director's Cut Yawn04 disc stuck beside it (alphabetical organisation, natch).

If that's a marriage, it's a marriage forged in hell.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't see why the two pack thing is an issue. There are endless combinations of movies out there in two packs. These two are both Universal and both zombies. It makes since they are combined.

I once saw Zathura packed in with Ghostbusters. It all boils down to what company owns what. Doesn't mean anything about the actual content...

United States
    True, but it gives Dj an opportunity to poke MZ with a stick.

*wads up newspaper and smacks Dj on the nose*

NO! Bad, Dj, BAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I don't see why the two pack thing is an issue. There are endless combinations of movies out there in two packs. These two are both Universal and both zombies. It makes since they are combined.

I once saw Zathura packed in with Ghostbusters. It all boils down to what company owns what. Doesn't mean anything about the actual content...
    But in reality they should have put Shaun and Land together. Any PR man with a brain in his head should have figured that much out since Shaun is a giant love letter to ole uncle george

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    True, but it gives Dj an opportunity to poke MZ with a stick.

*wads up newspaper and smacks Dj on the nose*

NO! Bad, Dj, BAD!

Well back in the day we used to have sticks, but they took them away... must be the lead paint.

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

As for that Yawn/Land double pack ... that's always given me the heebie jeebies ... ... just like everytime I look at my super awesome 4-disc Ultimate Dawn DVD and see the 2-disc Director's Cut Yawn04 disc stuck beside it (alphabetical organisation, natch).

If that's a marriage, it's a marriage forged in hell.
    Must have taken a cue from my marriage.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    But in reality they should have put Shaun and Land together. Any PR man with a brain in his head should have figured that much out since Shaun is a giant love letter to ole uncle george
    I agree with that, but in this case it appears they wanted a horror collection 2 pack. Shaun wouldn't fit that bill.

For a laugh....go to walmart(.com) and look for 2 pack dvds. Some of the combinations are mind boggling...

Super Moderator

UK
    How dare you, bassman, answer a question with such patent common sense and reasonableness!

That particular pairing just creeps me out *picks nose* ...

Also, not only is Shaun a love letter to Uncle George, Land features a cameo by Pegg & Wright (with a special feature dedicated to their time on set) ... so there's a link there beyond both being under the same studio ... even though Bassman's common sense answer makes sense, the inner nerd in me goes into a grumbling Gyro Robo type freak (reference to this - http://robotchicken.wikia.com/wiki/Gyro-Robo_News_Hour).