Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: phelps &westboro baptist church.

United States

phelps &westboro baptist church.

you all hear this yet. a father os a fallen marine sued them for protesting in front of the church where his son was laid and won 5 million, now the courts are saying that he has to pay for phelps and his sh.tty churchs court cost. he said he's not paying til he hears from the supreme court. sorry to say this, but i hope that church burns down with all those assholes in it. they protest when our fallen servicemsn and women come back dead. don't see how people like that can call themself americans.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiekiller View Post
    you all hear this yet. a father os a fallen marine sued them for protesting in front of the church where his son was laid and won 5 million, now the courts are saying that he has to pay for phelps and his sh.tty churchs court cost. he said he's not paying til he hears from the supreme court. sorry to say this, but i hope that church burns down with all those assholes in it. they protest when our fallen servicemsn and women come back dead. don't see how people like that can call themself americans.
    phelps and his entire legion of asinine morons ought to be tossed into a pit with rabid wolverines.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    I saw an interesting documentary on Phelps and his 'congregants' from Westboro recently, but I can't recall the name of it. While I agree that their misguided teachings are filled with hate and filth, and while I may not personally like it, their ability to speak their mind is protected under freedom of speech. Where I have a problem with their rhetoric is where they are able to spew their insanity. I think it should be illegal for protestors to protest within so many thousand feet of a cemetery (especially during a funeral) -- while I agree people should have freedom of speech this is just crass and crude. It's also a remedy for someone else other than the funeral celebrant to end up dead in the long run by someone who will eventually snap back at them.

Second, I've long been a proponent that I don't believe degrading, burning, or destroying the American flag should be allowed under freedom of speech. Flag burning and degredation should be outright banned as destroying the symbolism of this great nation is far more vile to me than hearing an idiot yelling out lewd language from their vile ideology on the side of the street.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Second, I've long been a proponent that I don't believe degrading, burning, or destroying the American flag should be allowed under freedom of speech. Flag burning and degredation should be outright banned as destroying the symbolism of this great nation is far more vile to me than hearing an idiot yelling out lewd language from their vile ideology on the side of the street.

j.p.
    I've burned lots of flags!!! Like in one day I burned around 40 something of them!! . . . . . . . .In Boyscouts!!!

It is the proper way to dispose of old flags in a flag retirement ceremony.

http://www.scoutingbear.com/USA/flagret.htm
    Last edited by clanglee; 31-Mar-2010 at 10:09 PM.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Clanglee:

I stand corrected, good sir. I'm against IMPROPER burning of the flag and all disrespecting of the flag.

Damned semantics...

j.p.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Clanglee:

I stand corrected, good sir. I'm against IMPROPER burning of the flag and all disrespecting of the flag.

Damned semantics...

j.p.
    I knew what you meant. . .I just like being difficult.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    burning an easily replaceable flag is nothing compared to showing up at a soldiers funeral and marching around proclaiming he's a faggot whos burning in hell.
    You can argue good ol' boy sacrilege of a flag if you choose, but it is just a material dyed a certain colour, you imbibe it with whatever meanings you wish. if its burned its insulting, but not the end of the world.

You only bury your loved ones once. would you rather it be this way you say goodbye if it saved a precious flag?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    burning an easily replaceable flag is nothing compared to showing up at a soldiers funeral and marching around proclaiming he's a faggot whos burning in hell.
    You can argue good ol' boy sacrilege of a flag if you choose, but it is just a material dyed a certain colour, you imbibe it with whatever meanings you wish. if its burned its insulting, but not the end of the world.

You only bury your loved ones once. would you rather it be this way you say goodbye if it saved a precious flag?
    Read my first paragraph above. I never said that it was appropriate for them to spew their filth at a funeral. There should be laws against them (technically, I think there actually are laws now against any protests within so many feet of a funeral) doing this in inappropriate places. I don't agree with what they are saying but I respect the right of people to proclaim their beliefs no matter how messed up we think they are for their ideas. I agree with you though that there are certain times/places where the only appropriate thing to do is keep your mouth shut in respect -- especially to the men and women who gave their life to protect our country.

Sometimes common sense should supersede the inalienable rights of citizens.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 31-Mar-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Undisclosed
    http://www.whtm.com/news/stories/0310/721261.html
    This is going to the Supreme Court. The SC doesn't take many cases, so this means they're going to send a message with this one.

Also, check these guys out http://www.patriotguard.org/

I think they formed as a counter to the shit Fred "I have no dick" Phelps and his flock of vile underlings were doing. The PG reved their bikes to drown out the screeching WBC cunts and held US and military branch flags to hide their signs.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooley View Post
    http://www.whtm.com/news/stories/0310/721261.html
    This is going to the Supreme Court. The SC doesn't take many cases, so this means they're going to send a message with this one.

Also, check these guys out http://www.patriotguard.org/

I think they formed as a counter to the shit Fred "I have no dick" Phelps and his flock of vile underlings were doing. The PG reved their bikes to drown out the screeching WBC cunts and held US and military branch flags to hide their signs.
    I know how those families feel. I'm a proud son of a vetianam vet and was lucky he came back in one peice(except the bad memories) and i would stand up to any one that says shit about anyone that served in any war. i was in the army reserves for only a year(fractured my ankle)after 9/11 i tried to re-up but was told i was too old.(bummer)

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Fred/God (same thing, in their religion) hate fags only because they cause his shrivelled trouser snake to twitch in ways he doesn't understand. A visit to a San Francisco bath-house ought to exorcise most of his demons. Or send him to jail - it will amount to the same thing in the end.

Regarding flags, it seems to be only Americans that have this almost superstitious respect for the flag. Outside of the forces, you'd be lucky to find anyone in the UK who thinks the flag is anything other than a sign to show people what country you're from at sea, sports events, etc.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 01-Apr-2010 at 07:26 AM.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Fred/God (same thing, in their religion) hate fags only because they cause his shrivelled trouser snake to twitch in ways he doesn't understand. A visit to a San Francisco bath-house ought to exorcise most of his demons. Or send him to jail - it will amount to the same thing in the end.

Regarding flags, it seems to be only Americans that have this almost superstitious respect for the flag. Outside of the forces, you'd be lucky to find anyone in the UK who thinks the flag is anything other than a sign to show people what country you're from at sea, sports events, etc.

Yeah totally.
    There was a Louis Thereoux documentary on it...it was really interesting and he got to hang out with the family quite a lot. The overall conclusion is that they're all morons, homophobic, racist morons who are BORED with their pointless lives and thusly have sought to impose their opinions on people in the sickest way that they can gain recognition from it.

I mean, picketing the dead's funerals - and what a wishy washy reasoning too - God hates homosexuality therefore brought on 9/11 for America - that's the most bizarre, plucked out of the air mentality that pervades this entire bloodline. But it didn't need to make sense for these people really, did it? They would do it anyway.

It's the same ilk of people who believe Harry Potter is witchcraft and should be banned. MORONS.

The freedom of speech thing is really tough. It's a similar thing to what I was saying in the Japanese R@p3 game thread in Gaming section - we have this power within us to see or do things which are well within our freedoms as human beings - but should we? Isn't it scary how we no longer have the ability to draw a line between right and wrong? This freedom of speech argument doesn't help - because on paper it's a beautiful thing yet when given to uneducated morons, they exploit it for whatever political gain they can manage. That's the catch with this whole thing, instead of a massive rejection, outrage and eventual pressure on these people to stop what they're doing, everyone is being complacent about it because it's easier to claim it's their right to do this shit in the name of freedom of speech.

This means there is no counter argument or action that can stop these people doing what they are doing. WE ALL KNOW right now that what these people are saying is not only bullshit, it's fascist and downright ludicrous - and fascism on it's own is one of those ironic paradoxs where their right to freedom of speech gives them licence to be fascist pricks in public.

Personally I wouldn't say ANYONE is fascist for stopping these people from either breeding, or speaking publicly. There's got to be a loophole to stop morons from doing this shit - for instance incitement to racial/sexual hatred would be a crime in the UK. They could certainly say what they please publicly but to do it at a funeral is inciting and provoking violence at the very least. They should be banned, sorry - but it's only because we all KNOW these people are wrong, let's not pretend they actually have ANY validity in ANY argument. They don't. And yes, I do feel qualified to say that confidently and anyone who doesn't needs to seriously consider the line between right and wrong and act accordingly. There are grey areas, but not this one.

You all know what I'm saying is right, it's just you're very quick to create grey areas in the name of freedom of speech - it's a natural thing but I'm saying the higher moral code of fully functioning adults should be able to see quite easily that what these people are doing is nothing but an insult to the principles of freedom of speech - and something needs to be done.

As for the documentary - they picketed a funeral and out of a car window came a mcdonalds milkshake which smacked a 5 year old member of that family right in the head.
    A perfect example of how this family's poisonous nature has not only infected this poor child's mind, but also he's become a victim of their hatred before he even knows what a "f@g" is. Where is social services? Who is looking at this situation and saying "right, this family are willfully creating hateful, disturbed children which isn't a positive, progressive or educational background in which a child should be raised".

It's all about this word "tolerance".
    The biggest fallacy I can see from the US is that you have to tolerate ANYTHING in the name of freedom. That doesn't mean you have to tolerate intolerance. Nope. You can reject that because YOU are not allowed to be intolerant and neither should these people - just because they have this wishy washy opinion based on hatred, fear and disgusting behaviour - you don't have to tolerate that in your society. They are not tolerant, why should you be tolerant to them?
    Gay people don't impose themselves on anyone like this, therefore even if you disagree - you're bound by your freedoms and social stigma to tolerate the culture.
    These people however, do not tolerate anything that isn't f**ked up like them. That doesn't mean you have to be OK with it - they are going against the very principles set out by your country - tolerance, respect, and freedom. They are hurting these principles, so they should be defended - don't tolerate the destruction of something good.
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 01-Apr-2010 at 08:06 AM.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    http://twitter.com/meganphelps

One of these people are on the twitter, its horrifying to see this level of indoctrination in this day and age, i have no doubt that the boss hogg of this clan would have a full hitler youth going on if he could get away with it.

lets face it he's about there already.

Canada
    Well, I would personally verbally abuse, and attempt to stop someone I caught trying to burn a Canadian flag. It is just plain old disrespectful in my opinion, as I love what our flag represents with every ounce of my being.
    I guess it also stems from me being raised in a military family, but I know plenty of others that are like me in that regard.

As for the WBBC, I really can't add anything to this conversation that hasn't already been stated, but I know for a fact that if any motherfuckers attempted to picket a military funeral, especially one where one of my family was being buried, I would probably just wade into the middle of them and punch, kick and step on whatever was closest to me.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    flag burning means nothing to me...its your flag, you paid for it...someone out there is making tons of money selling ready to burn flags....I'd make a killing in the middle east selling Union Jacks and American flags if I could survive long enough!!!

It only hurts when you attach meanign to it and I don't do that - however it's easy to see how a person part of this institution would be offended by it - its something they have put a lot of effort into, and to see someone symbollically raising a finger to it must feel quite shit if you've just lost a brother or father in an armed conflict and idiots like the topic of this thread are picketing soldier's funerals and burning flags. It's kinda like throwing bacon on a mosque, you gotta respect that it's JUST NOT ON.

But as I say, me personally i couldn't give a rats ass.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.