Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Editing HD footage?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Thanks, man. You've been a huge help.

I've been doing yet even more research and have decided to save a little more money and pickup Canon's HV40. It's $650 on Amazon. It has native 24p, 24p in 60i, and 30p as well as an accessary shoe, a manual focus ring, and a mic input. Everything I've been looking for. The only downside is that it records to Mini DV instead of an SD card, however, for the price and picture quality, I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

I've been watching YouTube videos people shot with the camera straight-out-the-box and it looks completely incredible. Here are a couple:

Last edited by MikePizzoff; 15-Apr-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Got the HV40, PJ! Thanks for all your help. I couldn't be happier!

http://www.vimeo.com/11352643 - My first footage!

Undisclosed
    Hey Mike - that footage looks AWESOME!

I looked up some specs on that camera - it has a native 24p mode - very smart of you to get that. Now you can work at actual 23.98 OR 60i.

Good luck. I'll have to check out that camera myself.

pj
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh

Undisclosed
    Im a little late to the conversation but Apple ProRes is a good idea...I highly suggest just making proxy files and then swapping back in your source files when your done.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by PJoseph View Post
    I just edited my entire Ghostfacers webseries which was shot on five different HD formats - and had up to 5 streams of HD. I had HVX footage, and four other forms of long-gop had that I converted to DVC Pro HD - they were all fairly bulky, but it worked great.

I used FCP, but I'm sure Premier could handle it easily. It's a hardware issue. I would recommend switching to the higher graphics card (in your power settings) - that definitely helped.

pJ
    I didn't realize you were behind those. I've been working on the latest Supernatural DVDs/BDs at work and sat through the 10 Ghostfacers webisodes yesterday. Oh man, you guys sure cast some hotties (especially that Ambyr chick).

Anyway, when I was working in VOD we used Apple Pro Res HQ and it looked better than other formats for HD and BD when I was working with it. So I will back Cooper up on that digital format.

Undisclosed
    Hey TC - just read your post. That's so funny! Yeah, my company produced those for WB. My partner and I co-wrote, co-directed with AJ and Travis, and we produced it. (and as you saw, I cut them) It was a lot of fun - it took us 2 years to get it off the ground!

Now, I'm off to something else, but I had a really great time. Super excited they are on the DVDs because I made the cutoff for delivery in the nick of time. Plus, many fans will get nice copies of the series now! I loved working with everyone at SN and Wonderland - really had a great time working inside the sandlot of Supernatural and being able to have the freedom to really expand the Ghostfacers characters - it was a blast.

And yes, Mircea was great.

pJ
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh