Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Doom is still the best FPS ever:

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Why Doom is still the best FPS ever:

This is an article written by Bioshocks lead designer. Very interesting.

http://vectorpoem.com/news/?p=74

By the way, I played Doom for the first time back in 1993 and I've been hooked ever since. I play through Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom about once a year.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Doom 3 however is shit. Im not a fan of doom but its a pretty fucking important game and i can completely understand why people love it, it just isn't for me. doom 3 however, is for no-one, its a poorly made piece of crap that relied on a ,at the time, impressive lighting mechanic to cover its many, many flaws.

fuck doom 3 i hate that game, i just, i hate it so much.

-i'll leave you to your thread now.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I actually enjoyed Doom 3.

With all the FPS games tearing up the market, why haven't they been turning out any new Doom games?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

With all the FPS games tearing up the market, why haven't they been turning out any new Doom games?
    Doom 4 is in production right now. It's supposed to take place on Earth ala Doom 2.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Doom 3 was great. An excellent horror FPS. But not much like the original Doom games, which are the best FPSes ever. Hands down. Face it and accept it.

Super Moderator

United States
    Yeah, Doom was a bit out of my wheelhouse when it was at its height of popularity, so I never got into it, but I did enjoy some of the iterative knockoffs (the Star Wars one comes to mind) and--of course--appreciate what the game has done for the industry in general and shooters in particular.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 07-Apr-2010 at 02:43 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Doom II was fantastic for all the reasons mentioned in that article. I actually remember when someone at work showed me the shareware version of the first Doom (which was a step up from Wolfenstein 3D). What an amazing game it was at the time. Truly groundbreaking. And the level editor was like nothing before. Doom II brought together everything that was great about Doom and coalesced it all into greatness.

Doom 3 however, as hellsing says, was shite and then some. It relied on lighting effects and "surprise" ambushes to incite anxiety in the player. The very first level of Doom 3 was great - the one where the demons invade and you battle through your own guys as they are turned demonic. That was novel. The rest was just level after level of crap being thrown at you from random directions in nonsensical avenues. How many times did you walk into a room and know that some wall or grate or ceiling tile was going to explode with baddies, and there was nothing you could do to prepare for it? The game was stupid after level 1. No storyline. No strategy. Nothing of value.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Doom 3 however, as hellsing says, was shite and then some. It relied on lighting effects and "surprise" ambushes to incite anxiety in the player. The very first level of Doom 3 was great - the one where the demons invade and you battle through your own guys as they are turned demonic. That was novel. The rest was just level after level of crap being thrown at you from random directions in nonsensical avenues. How many times did you walk into a room and know that some wall or grate or ceiling tile was going to explode with baddies, and there was nothing you could do to prepare for it? The game was stupid after level 1. No storyline. No strategy. Nothing of value.
    Thats about right. it felt half finished, rushed with no proper direction. It was also a big problem with the original half life. you got to a certain point and like an actor in a student film you wonder what your motivation is and just what the character is doing there. However valve did a big turn around and gave a much more engaging story for its sequel. Honestly i dont have higher hopes for doom 4 than i did for prey.

Though i kinda enjoyed prey as a budget shooter so who knows?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Storyline? Strategy? Motivation?

It's a first person shooter. I'm not an avid gamer, but FPS's have always been about just that - Shooting. When I buy a game such as Doom or Halo I expect to go around shooting shit with a few side missions along the way. Motivation? Your motivation is to blast your way through and finish it. I guess I'm just not that deep into video games like some of the younger folk...
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Apr-2010 at 03:18 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    obviously not, but beyond the meathead exterior shooters like halo, gears of war or resistance HAD a story you were interested in, who were the forerunners, where did the locust horde come from? what made the chimera virus? I dont play any game just so i can play murder i need some semblance of plot behind it. it doesnt have to be big, or clever. just enough so i know that 6 hours in i know where i am and why i am there.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm with Bassman (and the article) here. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. Most FPSes these days are dull and feel EXACTLY the same. Heck, even Dead Space (altough not an FPS) feels EXACTLY like Doom 3.

I liked Doom 3 for what it was. If you didn't, meh. I had a blast playing it. To me it was great, not shite.

But still the points about how abstract FPSes went out the window pretty quick is interesting. I find games that focus on gameplay much more interesting than those who are hampered by realism. As ALL FPSes are these days.

EDIT: Oh! Except Serious Sam. Those were some ace games.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Nuff said.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Heck, even Dead Space (altough not an FPS) feels EXACTLY like Doom 3.
    same page there dude. add resi 4 controls to doom 3 and thats dead space.

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm gonna join Ned and Bass on this one, I really enjoyed Doom 3. I've played that through five times, and it scared the bejesus out of me when I originally played it in 2004 - funny story ... when at uni and my housemates were trying out magic mushrooms, I was staying well out of it (which was sensible anyway as I was the "straight" guy to reassure them throughout) ... anyway, I got tired of their warblings and went to bash out a bit of Doom 3, when one of them came upstairs freaking out about "a big clock" ... he then tried to relax in my room, but the horrors of Doom 3 freaked him out even more and he demanded I stopped playing it and come downstairs to help straighten them out.

Anyway, Doom 3 was essentially a remake of Doom. It was supposed to feel old school, and just be a spiffing shooter. Unfortunately, it seems like that new Wolfenstein game didn't handle the "old school" vibe particularly well as I've only heard it's "meh" at best.

I'm rather interested to see what Doom 4 is like, I'd quite like to play that on PC too - so hopefully it'll be just as open to a wide range of specs as Doom 3 was (which I found to be generally quite efficient and good looking on a range of settings and rigs).

Doom is still a classic ... gotta love that shotgun too.

Canada
    Doom 3 felt nothing like Doom. Doom was you being a badass macho motherfucker running around punching demons to death, and literally kicking the collective ass of hell. You butchered thousands of hellish monstrosities like they were nothing. Doom 3, was you walking around a dark station, shitting your pants in fear at pretty much anything that made a noise. They are nothing alike, except in name. Not saying that it was a bad game at all, but It has about as much right being called Doom as Dawn 04 has being labeled as a remake of Dawn of the Dead.

I did enjoy it though, as it was incredibly atmospheric, but again, it wasn't really Doom.

Time to boot up Doom 2 and run through that bitch again though.
    Last edited by mista_mo; 07-Apr-2010 at 04:22 PM.