Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: So, what happens to most of the members here?

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    rotten bodies that arent kirsty alley.
    Speaking of whom, Star Trek 2 was on TV the other night. Her career was all downhill from there IMHO. Too bad it was her first acting role! Wonder how things mighta been different if she hadn't passed up the Saavik role in ST3.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Come on....no love for Look Who's Talking?

Undisclosed
    Test for Echo. Some folks simply don't need to find it on HPOTD.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    GrimStories name is Tom Martin.

Hahaha, Very nice.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    GrimStories name is Tom Martin.
    I don't get it!

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I don't get it!
    Your name is not Tom Martin.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Your name is not Tom Martin.
    I get it!

Twitching

United States
    Just been thinking about this,
    I spend a lot of time here on HotD and over on Rise. Of late I've been wondering what the deal in the downturn % of interesting threads/contributions on both sites is.

I'll be perfectly honest and admit my own interests aren't terribly broad. Survival Horror, some grittier Sci-Fi, Sword and Sorcery-type Fantasy...strategy games, the occasional MMORPG (which I generally lose interest in quickly because World of Warcraft so dominates the genre that NO ONE ELSE put in decent investments, regular support of their craptastic low-budget games)...and books of the same genres that I watch movies of.

That said, I hang around mainly for the occasional interesting thread in Dead Discussion. Can't really bring myself to regularly talk about Romero's downward spiral embodied in his 3 most recent films, and the Fiction Discussion section is pretty much a closed-circle community.

Most of the time I lurk though, because it seems like 75% of the time when I add a Dead Discussion reply the thread continues on as if I'd never posted. It's cool, no one had anything they felt like replying to, but it doesn't encourage you to keep adding replies to that thread either.

Bottom line belief for me: People stick with forum communities where they establish circles of friends with multiple interests they all share. Otherwise there simply isn't enough draw to keep you from moving on to the next thing to momentarily catch your attention.

Then again, sometimes it feels difficult to "become a regular" here. ::shrugs:: Probably just my misperceiving the nuances of what's going on.

So yea, there's my .02 about lurking & what gets people motivated to remain and take part in a forum long-term.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    sometimes it feels difficult to "become a regular" here. ::shrugs::
    I think most long running communities online have that feel, but--for what it's worth--it took a long time to feel like people here even knew I was a returning, regular posting member. I think this is just the way it is with online, high-turnover communities, no one wants to get to close to the F.N.G., because he'll probably be gone quick enough.

They say if you're gonna stop posting in the HPotD, it's better to stop in the first few weeks. The logic being you don't suffer that much.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    is it just me, or has activity around here lately almost came to a crawl? maybe everyone's having great spring weather and spending more time outdoors or something, but it just doesn't seem like a lot's been going on, even among some of the more active members...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    is it just me, or has activity around here lately almost came to a crawl? maybe everyone's having great spring weather and spending more time outdoors or something, but it just doesn't seem like a lot's been going on, even among some of the more active members...
    thats the season, the last like 7 months have just been snowstorms and flash floods, now its finally sunny people are outside. simple as.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    is it just me, or has activity around here lately almost came to a crawl?
    Nope, not just you. I've noticed it the last...I dunno...month or so, it's been really bad. I was planning on staging an intervention, but didn't know who to confront.

Perhaps we're just in a lull, with there having been so many zombie films the last few years (comparatively speaking), some people may have gotten their fix and aren't jonesin' the way they were a few years back. I also wonder if some people have grown a bit disillusioned with Romero after his recent outings. Then again, I think most sites have a life cycle and we may be experiencing a regular downturn...perhaps we have to kidnap some new blood.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I first came across the site in 1999 and trolled the original boards and fiction section for years. I wrote some fiction, met alot of fun people, but sometimes life intrudes.

For those not around at the time, there was a huge flamewar and alot of regular contributors left and never came back.

I don't post alot because it's rare to find something that I really want to talk about. Or something that isn't already mentioned by someone else by the time I finish reading through all the pages, so I figure if I have nothing more to contribute that I should just shet my mouf.

There have been alot of really interesting threads lately though, I especially like the timeline discussions and the what if you were transported into the movie. (was gonna crack wise about the last action hero golden ticket but someone beat me to it)

And honestly, I kinda feel like some kind of thread killer, every time I post something, it's either ignored or the thread fades into obscurity.

*shrug*
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by childofgilead View Post

And honestly, I kinda feel like some kind of thread killer, every time I post something, it's either ignored or the thread fades into obscurity.
    Okay, he's posted in this thread people. Clear out. Can we get a lock from the Mods?

I know what you mean, I used to feel that way too sometimes (on occasion I still do). I think there is a tendency for people to banter more with people they know and/or feel comfortable/friendly with. Perhaps we can all make more of an effort to be a bit friendlier. I'm a Pisces. What sign are you?

I guess, quite often we tend to have running jokes or back and forth in our threads that run topics offtrack and sometimes opinions and posts fall through the cracks. Hey, I sympathize...I've dropped some real fortune cookie zen and been ignored and then made a silly joke in another thread later and that's what engenders a response. Then again, just because we do not get a response doesn't mean what we wrote wasn't read, thought about or appreciated (or scorned, for that matter).

Anyway, I hope you still post when the mood strikes, CofG.

United States
    You're probably right about people not knowing me and stuff and having their own in jokes and what not..scary thing is..I got the joke about Tom Martin.
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los