Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: So, what happens to most of the members here?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Okay, I was taking in the context of what Moon specifically said: "ANY director who really sustained that fierce, burning hunger & passion that made them great in the beginning of their career..."
    Well, in that case, what about Play Misty For Me? High Plains Drifter? His first two directorial films and they're both killer.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Well, in that case, what about Play Misty For Me? High Plains Drifter? His first two directorial films and they're both killer.
    I'm not saying that Clint Eastwood is not or hasn't been a good, or even great, director, but I don't think he fits the criteria of someone who was a great director in their youth and maintained it throughout a directorial career. That's all. I don't think of him as being a talented & prominent director during his 20s or 30s. It's something he blossomed into in the latter half of a very long career in film in general.

I just think it's an invalid comparison for what Moon was talking about, that's all.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I'm not saying that Clint Eastwood is not or hasn't been a good, or even great, director, but I don't think he fits the criteria of someone who was a great director in their youth and maintained it throughout a directorial career. That's all. I don't think of him as being a talented & prominent director during his 20s or 30s. It's something he blossomed into in the latter half of a very long career in film in general.

I just think it's an invalid comparison for what Moon was talking about, that's all.
    Okay, I get what you're saying. I always forget how old he is. I mean he was FOURTY ONE when he made Play Misty For Me in 1971!!! I always think of him as being in his 20's when that was made.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Okay....fair enough. Although I do think Clint has been a great director from the start. Drifter is one of my favorites.

Scorsese work for ya?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I disagree... about it being a young mans game... Ridley Scott is in his 60's I believe, maybe even 70. Richard Donner... same deal, Spielberg, when doesn't have indy ducking in a lead line fridge, Hell even Tony Scott churns out some good films and he is up there too.

Quite a few old farts in the game still making A-list entertainment.
    Not saying all of the above & more (like Scorsese for example) aren't still making decent movies, just that I don't know if the output in the latter days of their carreers can match any of the films that made them when they were fresh out of the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Yeah but Ridley Scott, while still making decent movies can't quite get too the level of Blade Runner or Alien. Donner. . .meh. . . . .Speilburg I'll give you. . his films don't have the energy they used to have, but he has definitely grown up as a film maker. Maybe that's the problem. . these guys lose a lot of their young passion and energy and imagination. . and trade it in for wisdom and technical wherewithal and greater storytelling ability. I dunno.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Two words. Clint. Eastwood.
    Mmmm...yeah...Clint probably would be the exception. I wonder if that would have anything do with that other than a few films here & there he concetrated more on his acting career earlier in life & didn't settle in more of a directing role until later? Plus a lot of the movies he's been making for a while have been smaller, quieter, character driven type things, which actually probably benifit from the wisdom of years & a more mature ponit of view.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking on older filmmakers (trust me, other than maybe a Fincher or Nolan I'm having a hard time coming up with many names of younger guys whose work thrills me either).

I just am having a hard time thinking of any that have made movies spanning a lifetime that I felt were consistant across that lifetime. All the names I could come up with seemed (IMO) to have done their best work early, peaked at some point, & may have worked (or be working) consistantly through out, but their latter work just wasn't (isn't) as exciting to me.

Which (to bring it back full circle) is the point I was trying to make re:GAR.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    GAr is like Orson Wells.

Both Hit their professional peaks very early in their careers and never really came close after that.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Clint directed "Gran Torino" in 2008 if u didnt see that movie u sure missed a good one!!!

How has everyone been doing? I hope all is well with you guys?
    Yes, I am back!! I never said I was leaving for good, just needed a break!
    It's been a long long Summer!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Back from the dead.

Noice!

Good to have you back homie.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"