Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So, what happens to most of the members here?

United States

So, what happens to most of the members here?

I just noticed at the top of the page that there's apparently 2,097 members here at HPOTD. Of those 2,097 people I'd say a good 30 of us post regularly (that's being conservative for an estimate). Another 20 will peek their head in once a month or so and throw up a single post or two. So, it makes me wonder: What happened to the other 97% of people that are supposedly members here?

In reading through older posts, there have been a ton of older members that have just "disappeared" off the face of the earth. They used to post regularly but then just... gone... Then of course are the more entertaining characters that have been here and have gotten themselves banned. Then there are the people that come by and create an account and throw up 3 or 4 posts and then just well, disappear again. It makes me wonder why people come by a message forum to create an account just to never come post at it or bother to check it. I suppose quite a large percentage of the people that come here to read and lurk (I did this for quite some time), but that begs the question as to why they'd bother to create an account if they were only going to lurk/read anyway without ever commenting. Hmm... I'm perplexed.

Anyway, this is for you lurkers/folks who have disappeared or haven't posted in ages. Where are you? What keeps you at bay from enjoying the insanity of we fine HPOTD kinsman/brothers/sisters here that you have abandoned? Is it life or is it the exhibition of fine individuals and characters that we have amassed here as a refuge from life that you don't feel like participating?

And for those of us that are "regulars", what keeps us coming back and participating here? What is it about HPOTD that you enjoy here moreso than any other board?

C'mon, there are about 2,000 of you lurkers, speak your mind...

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 09-Apr-2010 at 05:59 PM.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

England
    Yeah there is a lot of members as opposed to posters, I guess a lot of them see their first decent zombie film, get all excited about the genre, find this board & start posting all over it, then the excitement wears off, their interest wanes & they stop posting! ive done that before on plenty of forums relating to bands or club events that ive been into at different points in my life, same with myspace & other social network sites that ive joined, been all over, then not used anymore. I dont really know whats kept me around here as im not uber interested in zombie films like I used to be (still enjoy them though), I just kind of like this forum & feel an attachment to a few other long term posters that have been here a while

Super Moderator

United States
    It's been pointed out to me before that a lot of the extra low or no post count users are just registered for access to the fiction section.

The rest...well, pitchforks and torches can do wonders for removing unwanted elements Plus there's a lot of people who post not just every few months, but like a few times a year at most. A few others get deployed or even sent to prison and we don't hear from them much till they are back in regular rotation in society. Then there's the lot of short-termers who probably feel they don't fit in after a short stretch.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Fiction Section used to be a hot area, I believe. Never cared much for it, but I think that's where most of the memberships come from.

The rest just fade away. Or go to jail.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Imo, there has to be more than just zombies that keep a person here. As was already eloquently stated that wears off and what's left after that?

What's left after a person busts their geek nut? A flacid soul where once stood an arect, eager member. (Wait what are we talking about here again? )

Seriously though, I'm in it for the comrodery. We already have something in common off the top but it leaks into other areas. I think most are just excited that they've finally found a place where they won't be made fun of or looked at like they have 3 eyes when wanted to talk zombies.

Take philly for example. He rarely posts outside of dead discussion for whatever reason. It's been my observation that those of us with broader interests who wish to discuss and post in other forums are the more "regular" members.

Through this interaction a bond forms and I know that this has been discussed before and it might be crazy but i consider you guys my actual friends that I make reference to in everyday life.

We disagree at times but what do you expect? We come from very diverse backrounds and locations and view life very differently. It's actually a testament to us that we can actually come together and disuss things as civily as we do.

I'm a Puerto Rican From NYC, Bassman is a white guy from Georgia and we get along great. Go figure right?

So, I can't really say why others do what they do, but speaking for myself, it's simple. It's the people.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I'm a Puerto Rican From NYC, Bassman is a white guy from Georgia and we get along great. Go figure right?
    You Lazy Yank.

Darth does have a good point. Most regular members are here for a nice community and "friendships". And as I've said before, this is definitely one of the coolest boards I've ever visited. You guys know I'm a nut for GB but hardly post on those boards due to most of those guys being douchebags. Not the case here at HPotD. I also often talk about this place in my daily life. My wife knows some of you guys by name and doesn't even question it when I bring you up.

I would even go far out there and say that MOST of the regulars aren't here for zombie talk at all really. Sure we still talk about it from time to time, but that's not what really draws us back.
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Apr-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I would even go far out there and say that MOST of the regulars aren't here for zombie talk at all really. Sure we still talk about it from time to time, but that's not what really draws us back.
    Come for the zombie goodness, stay for the flame wars?

Not that there are flame wars here like there used to be (thank god...I mean, thank mods).

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    And for those of us that are "regulars", what keeps us coming back and participating here?
    You know, I've been asking myself that question for around nine years now and still haven't found an answer.

Maybe we're like those zombies in Dawn that feel the need to hang around the mall.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    Maybe we're like those zombies in Dawn that feel the need to hang around the mall.

Nah...it's simply the sense of community I find here:

Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Undisclosed
    I may be a new member.. but I know how that goes.. I have to admit I do fall victim to being a lurker from time to time lol... but for the majority I like to post and get to know people from the horror community. Especially since my friends and family think im a freaking nut lamo.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    I just noticed at the top of the page that there's apparently 2,097 members here at HPOTD. Of those 2,097 people I'd say a good 30 of us post regularly (that's being conservative for an estimate). Another 20 will peek their head in once a month or so and throw up a single post or two. So, it makes me wonder: What happened to the other 97% of people that are supposedly members here?
    Is that unusual, though? Gladwell's Law of the Few states that in any activity, 80% of the work will be done by 20% of the participants. Had he considered Internet message boards, I imagine the ratio would have been even more lopsided. I don't think I've ever belonged to a forum where the great majority of posting wasn't done by a small minority of members.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    I post when something catches my interest or I feel like something should be discussed.

I've been coming here for a few years and is my second longest running forum membership (next to dune2k.com which is around 10 years)
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by billyray View Post
    nah...it's simply the sense of community i find here:

one of us, one of us, one of us

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    honestly i love the tight nit community, its like cheers, but involves way more banter about rotten bodies that arent kirsty alley.

2000+ regulars all posting constantly would suck youd try and post a reply to something and get it buried in at LEAST 200 dickheads FLAMAN/TROLLAN.

no thank you.

Canada
    GrimStories name is Tom Martin.