Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any groovy plans for Halloween?

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I'm trying to figure out a costume for my five-year-old. He wants to be Darth Vader, because this is The Year He Learned About Star Wars. My wife doesn't want him to be anything "evil," so we're thinking about making a kick-ass Lego minifig costume for him, because this is also The Year He Got Into Legos. Perfect compromise -- Lego Darth Vader? :P
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Undisclosed
    With Judy Ridley and other NOTLD alumni attending Chiller Theatre in NJ, Halloween just became really groovy.

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    I'm trying to figure out a costume for my five-year-old. He wants to be Darth Vader, because this is The Year He Learned About Star Wars. My wife doesn't want him to be anything "evil,"
    Darth Vader isn't "evil." Just have him go as the Uncle Fester unmasked ROTJ version of Vader and all will be kosher with the missus.

A George Lucas costume--now that would be pure evil.

United States
    Hey everyone, JP here with a friendly reminder...

Eight more months to Halloween, Halloween, Halloween, eight more months to Halloween, Silver Shamrock! It's almost time kids, remember to be tuned in at 8 o'clock for the big giveaway and have your masks on!

So, with it only being eight months away, is everyone getting as excited as I am? My hope for Halloween this year is that we get a new season of "The Walking Dead" to kick it off with hopefully another exciting special longer episode for the new season. I'm lining up a ton of new horror films for this year in patient anticipation, and I'm sure there will be at least another 5-6 horror films released between now and then I'll be able to line up for the festivities of that evening.

Of course, I'll be off from work for vacation as it's the greatest holiday of the entire year and I plan on enjoying every minute of it. While I won't have any spare money (still have to get my car fixed) this year for any special trips to Monroeville or any other special pilgrimage locations, I do intend on enjoying it with some fine films and some fine beer and I hope to check out some haunted houses this year.

Anyway, has everyone lined up their plans yet?

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Every year I always plan to go as White Mr. T. but never do. I pretty much have the whole thing planned out, I just need the T-hawk.
    I usually end up going as a zombie.
    This year perhaps.......................?

United States

goddamn i hate that annoying song....please stop, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Eight more months to Halloween, Halloween, Halloween, eight more months to Halloween, Silver Shamrock! It's almost time kids, remember to be tuned in at 8 o'clock for the big giveaway and have your masks on!

uh, i plan to graduate, find a job, enjoy the summer, look into med school, etc....maybe around sept i'll weigh in with some plans, but holy crap, talk about enthusiasm....

United States
    So, here we are, my most favorite time of year!

Every year I've started doing a horror film fest for my own self (my dad is going to join me for part of it as he's a horror fan like I am and I have some other friends hanging out at some other times as well) and I'm looking forward to my Second Annual Halloween Horror Marathon that will begin on Halloween this year.

I have an impressive slate (or at least I hope so, I'll find out either way) of horror or horror-esque films I've been saving all year for this special holiday event (Halloween for me is like Christmas for other people, I look forward all year to it!). This year I have lined up 14 films:

"The Changeling" (with George C. Scott, a classic for sure but I've never seen it so I'm looking forward to it).
    "Orphan" (I had this one lined up for last year but never got a chance to get to it)
    "Rifftrax: Night of the Living Dead" (looking forward to what laughs they can have at the classic, I generally love all the Rifftrax stuff).
    "Dark Night of the Scarecrow" (another classic from 1981 I've never seen recently released on DVD in the last year or so).
    "Insidious" (I've heard great things about this film, so I'm looking forward to it).
    "YellowBrickRoad" (I've heard shitty things about this one, but I'll find out I suppose.)
    "Super 8" (very excited to see this one!).
    "Apollo 18" (I've been looking forward to this one all year!).
    "Final Destination 5" (because these films are entertaining to me in a good laugh sort of way).
    "Paranormal Activity 3" (these films are very enjoyable for a good scare to me).
    "Let Me In" (it's an American remake so I'm a big "eh" on it but I've heard great things about it).
    "Doghouse" (it's supposed to be funny in a crazy women with rage-like virus killing all the men).
    "The Ward" (John Carpenter, let's hope it's better than his last 4-5 films!).
    "Vanishing on 7th Street" (the trailer makes it look interesting).

Overall, I think I have a fairly impressive line up of films for my film marathon I'm counting down the days for -- I'll have vacation for the weekend so the Halloween will kick off for me with an episode of "TWD" on Sunday night on the 30th and I'll launch into my film marathon from there with a case of beer and anticipation for some hopefully good scares.

I'm already starting to prep for next year ("Take Shelter" is on the list for next year for the marathon as is Oren Peli's "Area 51" if it is ever released, the Toronto Film Festival "The Day" which I've heard good things about, "The Cabin In The Woods" if ever released, "The Darkest Hour", "The Divide", and I'm sure many others which will come out between now and then) as it's an all year event planning the holiday out.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 22-Oct-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: aye
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Super Moderator

UK
    A few comments on some of those movies - I really enjoyed Super 8. A blockbuster with heart, a quality script, and a lovely dose of nostalgia ... and a kick arse train crash sequence ... and numerous references to zombies.

Let Me In - totally and utterly superfluous. If you're going to see a version of that story, watch the original movie - Let The Right One In - the American version would be a pretty good film on it's own, however the good comes from the original movie, and that shadow looms large over the remake ... a remake which is almost entirely pointless. Watch the original first - trust me.

Doghouse - nothing amazing, and certainly no Shaun of the Dead, however it's good guys-night-in fodder. Pizza and a couple of six packs would be ideal accompaniment to the movie. It's a bit 'lite bite' but it's also a good bit of fun - and Emily Booth is in it, which is a plus for UK genre fans.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    heading to a party in the woods as frank rossitano from 30 rock. the only costume other than hobo i could imagine having to intentionally dress down for gonna bring my projector, another guys bringing his generator and sound system, and anothers bringing some kegs and a bbq. Gonna sit in the woods in the dark eating durgers, watching bad horror films and having general hallows end good times.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    heading to a party in the woods as frank rossitano from 30 rock. the only costume other than hobo i could imagine having to intentionally dress down for gonna bring my projector, another guys bringing his generator and sound system, and anothers bringing some kegs and a bbq. Gonna sit in the woods in the dark eating durgers, watching bad horror films and having general hallows end good times.
    Damn, that sounds pretty nifty. As far as I know there's three fifths of sod all happening in my neck of the woods.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    watching "son of frankenstein" and "rosemary's baby" like i have for the last 20+ years.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Went to a costume party on Friday. I dressed like DMC, in his Adidas getup. Pics later.

Next Saturday is the usual cover show that we have in Philly, at a warehouse. This time around is The Ramones, Suicidal Tendencies, JFA, The Melvins, Green Day, Rudimentary Peni, Beastie Boys, and The Dwarves.

Then my cover band is doing en Exploited set on Monday at a house show.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Went to a costume party on Friday. I dressed like DMC, in his Adidas getup. Pics later.
    Wasn't it you that dressed as Rudy from Used Cars last year? That was so simple, but at the same time such an awesome costume.

Anyway....nothing special for me this year. Again.

With the wife out of town taking care of her post-brain aneurysm mother, i'm left alone with the youngin'. Probably going to strap on the old proton pack for a quick session of neighborhood trick-or-treating, then come back to watch horror movies and hand out candy. Looks like my days of hard halloween partying are behind me now.
    Last edited by bassman; 23-Oct-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: .

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Wasn't it you that dressed as Rudy from Used Cars last year? That was so simple, but at the same time such an awesome costume.
    Yes sir, that was me! I went two ways with that costume - Used Cars and also when he dressed like that in Big Trouble In Little China as a disguise. "Boy, its raining dogs and cats out there!"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Yes sir, that was me! I went two ways with that costume - Used Cars and also when he dressed like that in Big Trouble In Little China as a disguise. "Boy, its raining dogs and cats out there!"
    Used Cars is an awesome movie that i fondly remember.

"that's too fuckin' high!"
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Darth Vader isn't "evil." Just have him go as the Uncle Fester unmasked ROTJ version of Vader and all will be kosher with the missus.

A George Lucas costume--now that would be pure evil.

Seriously tho, Darth Vader is just a misunderstood little kid with a bit too many midichlorians in his bloodstream. It's true!

I think hellsings plans sound awesome, I wish I could do something like that. It's been years since I actually took the time and planned something nice to go with Halloween. Horror film marathons, dim lights (or dark woods) seem like the awesomest thing ever. And beer.