Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any groovy plans for Halloween?

United States

Anyone have any groovy plans for Halloween?

Hey, I know this is 6 months early, but I know I personally always try to plan my Halloween's out early as it's my most favorite holiday of the entire year (being the horror fan that I am).

This year I'm trying something different that I think is going to be a regular tradition for me that I'm going to begin this year. New horror films that are coming out that I'm really looking forward to seeing are going into the back of my rental queue so I can rent them over the Halloween weekend to watch. I also take vacation time from work during Halloween, so I'll be off for about 6-7 days during that time-period. So, the cool thing is I'll have like 10 new horror flicks to watch during the weekend that I haven't seen yet to really enjoy the atmosphere and fun of the weekend. So far, I have lined up: "Trick 'r Treat", "Carriers", "The Orphan", "Moon", "Pandorum", "The Box", and "I Sell The Dead". I'll also be adding "The New Daughter" w/Kevin Costner once it comes out. I'm also hoping to add at least two more films between now and Halloween for that weekend. It's also tradition for me to always watch: "The Nightmare Before Christmas" (my most favorite Halloween film) during the Halloween holiday as well.

I know that there's a convention also going on up in PA. for Romero fans. I've thought about possibly attending that if my finances are where they need to be for that weekend. I figure that it would be fun as hell and hopefully I could meet some more folks here from the board to hang out with and raise some absolute hell during that weekend. So, this is something I'll also look into doing. If not, I'm sure that I will come up with some other good plans (hopefully a Halloween party or two) to also partake in for that weekend.

Anyway, I'm starting to get really excited for it, as it has always been my most favorite time of the year. Anyone else have any big plans or regular Halloween rituals you'll be doing?

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    wow, jp, that is a bit premature! (that's what she said! j/k)

anyways, i didn't make it to the living dead fest last year, funds weren't available since i got back in school. i have my heart set on going this year, however. if something comes up and i can't make it, me and three of my buddies from work have discussed getting all geared up like alex and his droogs from a clockwork orange and getting super-shitty and causing minor levels of havoc.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Is Moon considered horror?

As for Halloween...I don't do too much anymore. Take the kid around, maybe hit a party for a minute, then go home to hand out candy for the rest of the night while sipping on some Jack and watching the dead trilogy. It may not be the greatest in the world, but I love it...

And damn dude....6 months in advance?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Is Moon considered horror?

As for Halloween...I don't do too much anymore. Take the kid around, maybe hit a party for a minute, then go home to hand out candy for the rest of the night while sipping on some Jack and watching the dead trilogy. It may not be the greatest in the world, but I love it...

And damn dude....6 months in advance?
    Nah, I think it's Sci-Fi, but usually Sci-Fi and horror are closely related ("Aliens"). I'm really looking forward to seeing it regardless. And yeah, I know it's in advance, but it's just such a fun time of the year (especially for we horror nuts).

j.p.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I suppose you could find some horror aspects in Moon, but for the most part I would say it's more of a straight forward sci fi. The horror levels are no where near Alien.

I'll put it this way....I wouldn't have Moon reserved for a Halloween viewing, if I were you. You could find something to better fill that slot. Not that Moon isn't good - I love it. But I personally wouldn't find it to be a good halloween flick. My two cents...

United States
    Alright, folks, only 4 more months away! I'm getting excited!

Okay, so I took up Bassman's advice and watched "Moon" already -- it was impressive. Anything that Kevin Spacey does is usually quite good and I was impressed with the film. Certainly not a good "Halloween evening" showing though. I watched "Pandorum" too -- and it was rather disappointing (unfortunately). So, these are the films I have lined up for this Halloween (so far): "Trick 'R Treat", "The Orphan", "The Box", "Carriers", "I Sell The Dead", "The New Daughter", and "The Crazies" (remake). I also have a few classic films I haven't seen (or don't remember seeing) as well: "Don't Look Now" with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie and "The Changeling" with the late and great George C. "Patton" Scott as well as the Rifftrax version of "NOTLD".

My plan for Halloween as of now is to watch these many horror films over the Halloween weekend and drink copious amounts of alcohol. So, not too different from any other weekend really...

I am going to be off several days for my annual Halloween vacation and I really want to make this year special (for a change). I think we should all plan out a road-trip to PA. I'd love to visit the Monroeville Mall and the Evans City Cemetery and as many of the other sites as possible. A Halloween pilgrimage, you could say. A planned road-trip for HPOTD members who could make it would be fantastic.

Isn't there also a horror convention over the Halloween weekend up there as well? Is the Living Dead fest still on? I'm definitely considering coming if it's something we could plan out as a grand event. It would be perfect to plan it all out together for a pilgrimage/trip.

Anyway, only four more months, we're down to the line people... don't make Dr. Rausch call you a dummy! Plan it all out now, let's make this Halloween unforgettable as the greatest Halloween ever.

(As a side note, if we have another attempted virgin sacrifice this year, Gary, try to find a woman that's a little more 'fresh' so the sacrifice can actually be legitimate ).

j.p.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    dress up like the killer from scream, fill a pumpkin full of fireworks, nothin' special. y'know, the usual.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    dress up like the killer from scream, fill a pumpkin full of fireworks, nothin' special. y'know, the usual.
    Setting fire to paper bags full of dog shit on people's porches? That kinda thing?

United States
    Although it's a little early...

(By that I mean that no contract has been signed --but one of our crew is a manager at the venue)

My puppet crew will be performing our Night of the Living Dead Puppet Show at the Oriental Theatre in Milwaukee. Halloween Night, 2010.

On this stage right here:

(I've posted this pic before in the movie theatre thread awhiles back)

We've already got a couple of local vaudville/oddball opening acts lined up. We decided to do One Big Show instead of a multiple-weekend run at a bar somewhere.

I'm pretty stoked about this...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Whoa man. NICE venue. No doubt you're excited.

Too bad it's so far away, otherwise I would be there.
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Jul-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Setting fire to paper bags full of dog shit on people's porches? That kinda thing?
    Nope, normally i throw a diaper full of indian food at white cars owned by local dickheads.

United States
    Whoa man. NICE venue. No doubt you're excited.

Too bad it's so far away, otherwise I would be there.

Yeah, This is the one I'll finally insist that my folks drive into town to see.

As for out-of-town visitors...Sheeeit, Bass, just bring a sleeping bag!

Me coucha es su coucha.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Undisclosed
    Chiller Theatre in New Jersey. Can't wait.

Undisclosed
    Heading to ZomBcon in Seattle. Max Brooks, G.A.R., and Bruce Campbell are suppose to be there. Three days of zombie awesomeness, and it'll be my first convention.

Undisclosed
    Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper in Concert Oct. 20th!