Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Free Online Zombie Novels?

Twitching

United States

Any Free Online Zombie Novels?

Hey,
    Was wondering if anyone had or knew of any sites with free Zombie novels, aside from Dead Meat. Seems like nearly all I was aware of have (good for them) gotten publishing deals and become pay-to-download.

So, anyone?

Super Moderator

United States
    Hmmm, some of the best ones that were originally posted piecemeal have been successfully published by their respective authors and may or may not be available online legally. I'm thinking about Monster Island and its sequels, Plague of the Dead and Day By Day Armageddon. I think they have all been pulled down and I know of no high quality free works of such size from my little wanderings about the web (discounting he fine materials on this forum, which I assume you've sifted through thoroughly).

You're primarily looking for full length stuff only of novella size or larger? I could start looking, as--frankly--I could use some good full length zombie fiction to add to my reading list for my commute.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 15-Apr-2010 at 02:44 AM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Twitching

United States
    ::nods::
    Hit the nail on the head. I read all the Monster Island/Nation/Planet books back when they were free (+13 Coffins). Then there was the one with the Flu that zombified people, with the guy hiking to Seattle to find his kid in his dead wife's car he saw on TV as the plague began. Read Autumn, but haven't gotten to the sequels, and Reign of the Dead (not its sequels either).

Could definitely use some new novella+ length material. Just haven't found many decent pieces of fiction lately. Even Old Reliable (the fiction section here) has tended more towards short-length stories of late. Not subscribed, so I dont burn my few read-slots per week on stories shorter than medium, and only mediums in a pinch.

Thanks man, look forward to seein what you come up with

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    This was a pretty good read. Kinda of a cross between I am Legend and zombie genres. The download is free

http://www.lulu.com/product/hardcove...ection/5201327

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Hey,
    Was wondering if anyone had or knew of any sites with free Zombie novels, aside from Dead Meat. Seems like nearly all I was aware of have (good for them) gotten publishing deals and become pay-to-download.

So, anyone?
    Well, there's obviously stuff basically fitting that description in the Fiction Section!?

eg: "Then and Now", "Warriors" or (in script format) "Carnivores"...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dying

United States
    Uh....

http://www.brokentype.com/nation/

Monster Island, Nation, and Planet all still work for me.

Speaking of which, how are Nation and Planet compared to Island? I've only read island, and it was pretty solid. Are the other three worth reading? Are they much better?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    Speaking of which, how are Nation and Planet compared to Island? I've only read island, and it was pretty solid. Are the other three worth reading? Are they much better?
    Well, it's all going to come down to taste, but if you liked Island and you want to see how it all started (or all ended, actually), well...I truly enjoyed Nation and have re-read it a few times.

Planet will take a bit more patience and a deeper attachment to the series, the characters involved and tolerance for the mythos and ideas Wellington worked up in his first two entries. It was not as strong as either of the first two, I felt, but I still read it over a single day and evening glued to my PC screen (I don't even like to casually read off a screen).

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Twitching

United States
    Agreed,
    I ended up enjoyed the entire Monster Nation + Series. Really enjoyed the ending.

Just finished Empire. Pretty good, but definitely leaves you dying for the sequel.

Found my zombie fiction access.

United States
    Apparently David Moody's ebook Autumn is no longer a free download.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Twitching

United States
    ::nods::
    Most of the originally free-to-read survival horror novels are no longer free. Monster Nation + Sequels, Autumn, Empire, Plague of the Dead aka The Morningstar Strain, Day By Day Armageddon, Twilight of the Dead.....

I mean, I'm glad these guys/gals got published, but it sucks that there's a current lack of available decent-quality zombie novels that aren't 10-15$ each at a minimum.

Even the Pirates don't do much with novels of this type. Amazon has literally hundreds of zombie apocalypse novels listed, but I can't afford to buy books when I visually devour 500-600 pages in 4-5 hours of reading.

Then there's the very rare zombie fiction archives around. Unfortunately, most seem defunct, or are at the very least not receiving a great many long zombie apocalypse stories. (Just not a fan of short stories and/or anthologies. Can end up deeply intrigued by characters, situation or world-setting that there's simply no more of to satiate that hunger.)

Guess I'll just have to hope that a new crop of zombie novel writers publish some more free-to-read books online, because all the current mainstays have at a minimum established themselves with Permutated Press.

United States
    If you live in the US and are near a large public or university library, get what your looking for using Inner Library Loan. http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=wo...g_bks&q=zombie

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    You can get the first two chapters of "Behind a Veil of Darkness" at Http://zombiefictionandothertales.com

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Re: Any Free Online Zombie Novels?

Hi everyone! I couldn't figure out how to delete this post, so I'll just update it to say that my "free zombie novel" is no longer fully available online. "The Return Man" will be published as a paperback in March 2012 by Hodder & Stoughton.

Thank you to everyone who visited and encouraged me! (And sorry to anyone who clicked this link recently and felt bamboozled when they got there. That must have been annoying.)

--- Vincent

P.S. For anybody who's still interested, there are free chapters online, as well as my blog about zombies, horror and writing. And if you're reading this before August 21st, 2011... check out the free contest to win a character named after YOU in the actual published novel!

www.HireTheReturnMan.com

SYNOPSIS:
    Four years after the zombie apocalypse, Henry Marco is a professional "corpse tracker," hired by grieving survivors to find resurrected friends and family in the Evacuated States --- a deadly wasteland of 40 million hungry corpses. Whether you've lost your wife, your husband, your child... just sign the contract, and Marco will return your suffering loved one to the beyond. Or he'll die trying.
    Last edited by vmzito; 04-Aug-2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Accepted for publication -- no longer free
    Forty million hungry corpses. If you're only looking for one... HireTheReturnMan.com

United States
    I actually read the morningstar strain after making the mistake of buying it.

Biggest mistake of my life.

Some things should stay free. Like Herpes, and that book.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Apparently David Moody's ebook Autumn is no longer a free download.
    Yeah, that used to be my go to one to recommend. which i still do, shame the final book never came out and that shitty non brit movie adaption did.

Think i might still have the free online version of autumn around, wonder if its kosher to upload to mediafire or not.