Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Free Online Zombie Novels?

Undisclosed
    ---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Here is my zombie novel website link...if you visit could you pls. sign my guestbook and let me know what you think? I am finished with Chapter 16 now....Thanks much!

http://solar-flare-zombie-novel.webs.com

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

I LOVED that book!
    [/COLOR]
    Last edited by living_dead_grl; 09-Nov-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: accidentally posted twice

United States
    Okay, I'll go first...

Your overall site design is spot on. It's user-friendly and macabre enough to set the mood. (Right up until the use of the bright yellow winky face at the end of your Homepage and About Me Section, anyway. I would lose those.)

I was two pages in before the music kicked on. I didn't mind, but I found myself muting my computer as I tried to read. As a 'veteran' HPotD poster, I'll share a secret with you: Zombie fanatics like the music to be an option. It's a good mood setting tool as you navigate a site, but becomes a distraction as you settle in to read.

On to the novel... I found your premise to be fairly unique and backed by enough fact to be realistic and believable. It was a fresh take on a done-to-death genre.

However, I didn't have much interest by Chapter 3. Sorry. In chapter One you had the character listening to "Fear the Reaper" as he played Left4Dead, while waiting for the horde to burst in. In Chapter Two, your character is reading "The Zombie Survival Guide"... It all felt over-played. I lost interest quickly.

Overall, I enjoyed your writing style (the line: "Add the fuckin’ moans & they got a goddamn BAND..." was fairly brilliant), but I found the characters to be two-dimensional and overly prepared for the Zombie Apoc.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I'm currently writing a zombie story.
    It's free.
    You can check it out by visiting the link in my signature.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    My website might be what you're looking for. http://www.adriansundeaddiary.com/

We get about a hundred daily readers, which is pretty hot in my opinion. Enjoy.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Behind a Veil of Darkness

I have a series of interconnected stories about the subsidiary characters of "Behind a Veil of Darkness" at http://zombiefictionandothertales.blogspot.com. Have you ever wondered what the supporting characters of a book were doing before they met the main character? What about after the characters go their separate ways? Basically that's what these short stories are about. There are about 85,000 words in the collection, so far, stop by and check them out.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    yea theres two that are currently going on

http://adriansundeaddiary.com/pt/Nov...-2011/blog.htm

and

http://whatzombiesfear.com/2011/11/02/2-32-followed/

both are really good reads

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPhilbrook View Post
    My website might be what you're looking for. http://www.adriansundeaddiary.com/

We get about a hundred daily readers, which is pretty hot in my opinion. Enjoy.
    I am one of them!!!!

-- -------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

http://whatzombiesfear.com/2011/11/02/2-32-followed/

But only four entries!!
    "No Day But Today"-RENT

Fresh Meat

Aaland

What Zombies Fear

My novels are free as I write them. I post new stuff every other or every 3rd night at the latest, depending on how long that particular chapter is.

The first book in the series "What Zombies Fear" is 2.99 on kindle, the second book is about (as of 11/18/2011) 85,000 words, with roughly two weeks left of writing. Once the 2nd book (WZF: The Gathering) is complete, I'll leave it online for free for about a month while I write the opening stages of the 2nd book, then I'll pull it off and people will be able to read the 3rd book as I write it. (Rinse, Repeat).

There's just no money in web ads, unless you plaster them all over your page, but then you lose readers because there are ads everywhere. For me, putting my books out there while I write them, in 'rough draft form' satisfies my desire to let people read my books for free, and then putting them on Kindle after they're written, edited, polished, and print-ready satisfies my wallet slightly. (Although, at $2.99/book, its not a huge meal for my wallet.)

Thanks to whoever mentioned me, I just wanted to clarify a little bit of how/why I personally choose to take down books after they're written.

Hope that helps, and hope to see you reading over at www.whatzombiesfear.com!

United States
    I've been in the process of cleaning up my zombie ... blog? Memoir? ... Don't even know what to call the thing. I've got six chapters down, they're very short. Written in first person using Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide rules.

My question would be... wait to push the chapters when there's 50k+ words or get a following by posting chapters every other day or so? What are readers looking for? I'm happy with both but from the sound of this thread I'm in the minority.

Also, I use cursing liberally. Is this a mistake? I began writing in stream-of-conciousness and I'm embarrassed to admit that the f-bomb is dropped almost every other word. My, my, but my vocabulary is limited.

I'll provide an example. The following is taken from the first chapter and is the introduction to our hero/anti-hero:

"I don't consider myself an especially bright man. No, not by a long shot. But you'd have to be one dumb motherfucker to get yourself into the kind of spot I've gotten myself into.

I can hear them. Outside, I mean. I hear them making those fucking annoying moaning sounds they're so goddamn fond of. Zombies. Fucking zombies. I swear to Christ. Zombies. When you get into a pickle like I am now and you don't have a gnat-in-a-sandstorm's chance of making it out alive except for an act of God or sheer dumb luck, the ridiculousness of zombies hits you. Yeah, when you're nice and safe in some rat's-ass nest and you've had your drink and you've had your meal and you've had your smoke, you can reason it out in your head. Yeah, zombies can be real. Sure, a virus that keeps the body animated after death. I get it. But here, now, with them standing just outside of whatever corner you've backed yourself into it really hits you how ridiculous the whole situation is. Fucking zombies.

I wouldn't even be in this situation if I wasn't such a bleeding heart dumb-shit."

Again, I ask... too much?

Fresh Meat

Canada
    If you're still looking for more free zombie reads, I've collected up a bunch of stories around the net. They're all listed here:

Awesome Online Zombie Stories

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    Last edited by Karsten Kluge; 01-Feb-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: .

Fresh Meat

Aaland

What Zombies Fear

Thought I'd post a quick update, What Zombies Fear #1 is available on the site for free all the time now. People can still buy it for kindle if they prefer to read that way, but the entire first novel is free on my site.

As always, I post chapters in rough-draft form to the site as I write them. The series is currently (8/19/2012) on chapter 11 of book 5. All of book 5 will be available for free until it's finished and edited. Usually I'm 5 or 6 chapters into the next book before the previous book comes down, ensuring that there is always a fair amount of free content. Each book stands alone, but there is a central theme/story that spans all of them.

Thanks to everyone who reads,

www.whatzombiesfear.com

Fresh Meat

Aaland

www.rundextrun.com

Here's an ongoing free one that's getting a ton of attention. It's got a cool diary format of a regular dude trying to survive the ZA, some crazy and lovable characters, a neat military twist and reason for the ZA, and it's often pretty funny too!

www.rundextrun.com

I highly recommend.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    http://whenthedeadrise.cmfick.com/

When the Dead Rise is a free online short story collection about the spread of the zombie apocalypse. While there are only 4 volumes, I have many more planned. A new volume is released at the end of each month and is available either in PDF or HTML formats.

Being Attacked

Aaland
    Tales of Zombie wars & All things Zombie are good sites..Go and check it out!