Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Most overated horror movies...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    You've NEVER heard talk of 'Don't Look Now'? Really? It's even on Bravo's list of 100 scariest moments...
    You watch Bravo?!?

Ireland
    No, but it's the same list as Channel 4's.

yourself

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Bravo is the one that has all those reality show about millionaires, hair cuts, fashion models and all that, right?

Anyway....I was just messing with you. I'm surprised they had a top horror film list.

Keeping with the subject of the thread....I'm going to be the bad guy that throws this one out there: Dawn of the Dead.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Bravo is the one that has all those reality show about millionaires, hair cuts, fashion models and all that, right?

Anyway....I was just messing with you. I'm surprised they had a top horror film list.

Keeping with the subject of the thread....I'm going to be the bad guy that throws this one out there: Dawn of the Dead.
    Haven't a clue Bass. Don't get Bravo here. At least i don't think we do. Don't watch much TV. I'd say it would be the British version of Bravo though, if we do.

'Dawn of the Dead'? Yeh, I agree. Not a patch on the original...
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 15-Apr-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

I actually saw that one year. Look out for it around halloween.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    'Dawn of the Dead'? Yeh, I agree. Not a patch on the original...
    Actually....I meant the original. It's a bit overrated, imo. I love it in a so-bad-its-fun kind of way, but I really think it gets more attention than it deserves. The only real attention it deserves is that it set the bar for "modern" zombie films. Until Day, that is. Day still has it's bar set firmly in place.
    Last edited by bassman; 15-Apr-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Ireland
    Actually....I meant the original. It's a bit overrated, imo. I love it in a so-bad-its-fun kind of way, but I really think it gets more attention than it deserves. The only real attention it deserves is that it set the bar for "modern" zombie films. Until Day, that is. Day still has it's bar set firmly in place.
    Yeh I know, I was messing with ya

United States
    Oh I agree with you, not every zombie/horror film can be the greatest horror film ever made like "Day of the Dead" is, but I still think that "Dawn" 78' is a very good horror flick. I've hung out with several friends before that really enjoyed everything about it except for the clothing of course ("Dear God man, is that polyester they are wearing while running? The horror man! The horror!" -- this from a girl I was 'hanging out' with (ahem) there for awhile).

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Oh I agree with you, not every zombie/horror film can be the greatest horror film ever made like "Day of the Dead" is, but I still think that "Dawn" 78' is a very good horror flick. I've hung out with several friends before that really enjoyed everything about it except for the clothing of course ("Dear God man, is that polyester they are wearing while running? The horror man! The horror!" -- this from a girl I was 'hanging out' with (ahem) there for awhile).

j.p.

I think that most of what turns people off about dawn 78' are the effects. It's a great story and ,imo, if the film were remade shot for shot with today's technology it very well might be the greatest horror/zombie film of all time.

But as it stands, i agree, day has set the bar. It's remarkable how well that film has aged. I've said it before, it's embarrassing that it has better effects than Land, a film that was made 20 years later.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Ireland
    True.

And when I do my "Underrated" list. It'll be at the top.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I think that most of what turns people off about dawn 78' are the effects. It's a great story and ,imo, if the film were remade shot for shot with today's technology it very well might be the greatest horror/zombie film of all time.
    I get what you're saying and I agree if DONE right, it could be one of the greatest horror films of all time (I think the original one is anyway). The problem is, I don't think it could be done right in today's time and age. For one, a director could be tempted to throw in entirely too much CGI (personally, I'd say little to no CGI at all, I usually hate most CGI) which will just take away from the realism of the picture. Then if you get someone like Michael Bay you'd just throw the story to the wind and have a bunch of helicopter chasing scenes and blowing stuff up and scantily clad girls running around for 2 hours. Second, could they cast the actors they needed to play the roles based on their talent or because they sell movie tickets? Good God, could you imagine us having a re-make with some busty blonde with no acting ability playing Frannie? Or George Clooney as Stephen or Laurence Fishburne as Peter? They'd want to cast some big names that wouldn't necessarily be effective in the roles (although, the one 'bigger' actress that I think would do a great job as Frannie would be Naomi Watts, I think she's better than sliced bread).

I just don't know that a really great horror gem like "Dawn" would be given the time of day by most major studios today. Sure, it could still be made, but you'd have to go with an independent production studio/distributor in order to do it and would have a hell of a time coming up with the budget in order to do it right. Sadly, most major studios have given up on attempting to make good horror films (much less good films in general, IMO) that are character-driven stories instead of CGI and gore and brutality replacing story and characters.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

England
    The Texas Chainsaw Masacre has some genuinely disturbing scenes in it IMO (like when the boys are trying to get their dead father to bash that girls brains out with a hammer...that is really messed up).

The original Dawn is a bit campy in parts (Peter busting out at the end to the "hero" music is fucking hilarious and not grim/horrific/tense in any way shape or form). That said, I still love this movie and it is still my favorite GAR film. The effects don't matter to me to be honest, the film pulls me in and demands that I watch it.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Ireland
    Yeh. I think the grandpa stuff is dreadful, even for the time and the budget. It's laughable.

Laughable too is the end of 'Dawn of the Dead', I had friends rip the piss out of me during a viewing of that, like I directed the bloody thing. Personally, I would have ended the film with Peter and Fran blowing their heads off.

The piefight too is bloody terrible.

It's why 'Day of the Dead' is the greatest thing he ever did. Entirely straight, no crap.

Why audiences didn't like it, I have no idea. People booed according to Lori Cardille.

Morons.

Undisclosed
    In no particular order...

1. Don’t Look Now

One word. Boring. Unbelievably tedious so called horror film, that has managed to earn itself an incredible reputation, mostly due to its ending, which I personally found laughable. But, love or hate the ending, the viewer has to trudge though a ridiculous amount of tedium to get to the punch line.

2. Night of the Hunter

Utterly ridiculous “classic” where Robert Mitchum chews up the scenery and featuring some of the worst lines of dialogue in movie history. Some people say Laughton filmed it deliberately this way. I don’t care. It still makes for an awful film. Laughton’s only director effort…thank god.

3. Halloween

For some people, the most horrifying film they ever saw. Or, at least that’s what they say. It may claim to be the first slasher (it’s not, ‘Psycho’ is), but that still doesn’t stop it from being simply an OK film. The performances are generally ok too, the two main stars being the best, but it still feels twice the length of it’s 90 minute running time, because so little happens.

4. Rosemary’s Baby

Another bore fest. A “horror” film with no horror. While competently directed, it’s still a terribly boring film and ends up being somewhat laughable at its conclusion. Notoriously devoid of shocks or creepiness, Polanski (himself incredibly overrated) should have taken a leaf out of his own book and made the film more like ‘The Tennant’, or the earlier ‘Repulsion’.

5. The Blair Witch Project

Brian Griffin summed it up very well. “Nothing’s happening, nothing’s happening, nothing’s happening…it’s over. A lot of people in the audience look really pissed.” One of the greatest gimmicky films, since ‘The Tingler’. William Castle would have been proud. I’m happy the guys who made this (on a shoestring budget) made a ton of money from it, but really, it’s fans would make you old.

6. The Ring

Oh dear…Asian horror as a whole is one of the most overrated genres ever. Most of the films generally follow the “nothing happens for an hour, then bam” rule and they are tedious in the extreme. This film, which sparked the current cycle, takes that rule to its heart. It contains one genuine shocking scene early on and then nothing for ages. But, its worst sin is its villain. A girl that comes through the telly and frightens people…ha ha…fuck off.

7. Phantasm

Another OK movie that has managed to garner a reputation that’s all out of proportion to what it deserves. While not an awful film, it certain doesn’t deserve the laurels that it has gained.

8. Scream

Oh, where to start with this. Wes Craven must have popped his eyes out of his head when the zeitgeist on this got a hold. I’ve never understood the popularity of this incredibly tame flick. It’s slasher-lite and boring as hell, featuring two non-entities as its starring roles. Just…rubbish…and what’s worse is it spawned sequels!

9. The Hills Have Eyes

Another Wes Craven failure that again has managed to get a word of mouth reputation as a gory and horrifying horror film. Banned in some countries, I’ve never been able to figure out why. It’s completely inept and notable ONLY for introducing the world to Michael Berryman. Part II is even worse! Craven, actually, has managed to gain a lucrative horror career on the back of some of the most overrated films in the genre, beginning with ‘The last House on the Left’, itself a terribly overrated film right up to the awful ‘Scream’ franchise. Mind boggling, when you consider that his only really good film was ‘A Nightmare on Elm Street’.

10. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

THERE! I said it!

Actually, I love this film, but again it’s a movie that has been elevated to a status totally unbecoming of its content. It contains some truly stupid scenes and some rubbish, rubbish makeup (Grandpa anyone?). Some of the acting is beyond a joke, even for a film of its type (Franklin) and the worst crime is that it simply doesn’t deliver the goods promised by the eye-catching title. On saying that, it does feature one of the most memorable movie monster introductions ever filmed and when Sally gets hung on a meathook, its hard not to squirm. Problem is, it goes rapidly downhill when the rest of Leatherface’s family are introduced.

Special mention should go to the following…’Witchfinder General’, ‘The Amityville Horror’, ‘The Evil Dead’, ‘Donnie Darko’, ‘The Thing (1958), ‘Hellrasier’, ‘Friday the 13th’ , 'Hostel' , ‘The Birds’ and any Universal / Hammer film or Corman’s Poe movies.
    One problem we have is a generation gap, and the fact that a couple of these movies rely on atmosphere to get you through. Secondly, there are folks who go to movies and those of us who love movies, so 'Don't Look Now. " works quite well in that regard.
    The same with Rosemary's Baby, which unfortunately has become dated, but on an elemental level is still quite effective.
    Both Hills and Texas Chain Saw succeeded, again it's the times, in pressing certain primal buttons in the audience. I like the latter one somewhat better, especially after we're dragged into the house along with our heroine and Hooper keeps pressing in on her reaction to the lunacy around her.
    Phantasm ... is a silly fun film, with far too many sequels, and a memorable villain in Angus Scrimm (haven't met another tall man quite like him )but it's such an over the top goof you can't help but enjoy it.
    In regards to Psycho being the first slasher film, possibly, but Halloween clearly molded the way that films were packaged for almost twenty years after (notice the difference in execution and the level of graphic violence between the original Halloween and it's first sequel )
    Psycho is still amazing, and oddly enough the Tony Perkins produced sequels weren't too shabby.
    Scream was too slick and self indulgent for me, like a movie buddy who keeps nudging you in the ribs at key moments "You see that? You get the joke? "
    Yah, Wes, we get it.
    Now, Blair Witch, is not a film to be separated from the hype, since it was the whole package (Internet, two Sci Fi specials, a Showtime special, and several books ) which made it fun and added a level of credibility to the project. The second movie even did something unexpected ( and fairly cool. ) which was to goof on the whole reality vs fiction aspect of the first film. This pisses some folks off ... which makes me smile.
    If you really want to see the witch, rent Darkness Falls ( stupid movie, ultimately. )
    Oh, and everytime someone says 'This is a Horror Film, this isn't a Horror Film.' (like all Sci Fi is Space Ships and Ray Guns. )I always recommend this little tome from 1992 entitled 'Horror Writers on Horror Film; Cut! ' as Clive Barker waxes eloquently on how hopelessly narrow our definitions are, and how other types of films might actually be pretty Horrific (Marathon Man was one of his favorites )
    But like with any genre of film, if you take it too seriously, that's when your enjoyment of it goes down hill pretty fast.

Wayne Z

United States
    Everything there can suck it, except Phantasm. It's kind of cheese, but the sequel was pretty dang sweeet.