Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Most overated horror movies...

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    One problem we have is a generation gap, and the fact that a couple of these movies rely on atmosphere to get you through. Secondly, there are folks who go to movies and those of us who love movies, so 'Don't Look Now. " works quite well in that regard.
    You've made interesting points there Wayne, as has everyone. This is turning into a fairly lively discussion. I'll address a few of them.

I agree about there generation gap and I undertsand others points about the overseas gap too. But the list purely personal and based on how films have been recieved by the general public and critics. Films relying on atmosphere is not the issue for me. One of the best genre films, to me anyway (and to general approval it seems) is 'The Haunting' and that's pure based on atmosphere. Also, it's the folk "who love movies" who generally form a concensus on a particular rating of a film. In other words, whether it's truly great example or not. 'Don't Look Now' is the perfect example of a film that's rated very highly by most "lovers" of film. But this lover of film thinks that it's way overrated. BTW, this film was actually on TV last night! yes, Roeg's film is atmosphere based, but the actual film contains very little after the death of the little girl in the red dress, up to it's finale 2 hours later. Where it's classic status has come from is extremely difficult to say.

The same with Rosemary's Baby, which unfortunately has become dated, but on an elemental level is still quite effective.
    I think even at the time I would have viewed 'Rosemary's baby' as laughable. I just don't think it's a terribly interesting film and certain not something that I would consider a showcase of the genre.

Both Hills and Texas Chain Saw succeeded, again it's the times, in pressing certain primal buttons in the audience. I like the latter one somewhat better, especially after we're dragged into the house along with our heroine and Hooper keeps pressing in on her reaction to the lunacy around her.
    Well, yes, they succeeded, but that's not the issue. Films succeeding or not is no indication of whether a film is a classic of the genre or wther they are over or under rated. 'Day of the Dead' didn't succeed, but certainly IS a classic and sadly generally under-rated.

In regards to Psycho being the first slasher film, possibly, but Halloween clearly molded the way that films were packaged for almost twenty years after (notice the difference in execution and the level of graphic violence between the original Halloween and it's first sequel )
    Psycho is still amazing, and oddly enough the Tony Perkins produced sequels weren't too shabby.
    According to Carpenter, he says 'Psycho' was a direct influence on his production, so that's good enough for me. But, as I said, there really is no such thing as a slasher film. Nothing has ever been marketed using that term. But, as far as fitting within the bracket...I think 'Psycho' slots in. The difference in violence is a direct result of the negative reviews it recied when first released. People called it boring and lacking a sense of rhythm. It's only when kids started going in droves and word of mouth got going that the film did well. But the "boring" thing got ot Carpenter, it seems. Hence, the upping of violence in 'Halloween II'. Not a project Carpenter wanted to do BTW.

Scream was too slick and self indulgent for me, like a movie buddy who keeps nudging you in the ribs at key moments "You see that? You get the joke? "
    Yah, Wes, we get it.
    I'm still untter bemused at the films popularity. I'm sure Craven was at the time too.

Now, Blair Witch, is not a film to be separated from the hype, since it was the whole package (Internet, two Sci Fi specials, a Showtime special, and several books ) which made it fun and added a level of credibility to the project.
    Blair Witch, I actually enjoyed the run up to. I thought the campaign was very good and I was even OK with the film when I first saw it. My problem is how the film is rated today. Strip away all the bells and whistles and what's left is something that really isn't that good, or memorable. Except for the last scene, I cannot remember a single frame...and I've seen it about 5 or 6 times now.

Oh, and everytime someone says 'This is a Horror Film, this isn't a Horror Film.' (like all Sci Fi is Space Ships and Ray Guns.) I always recommend this little tome from 1992 entitled 'Horror Writers on Horror Film; Cut! ' as Clive Barker waxes eloquently on how hopelessly narrow our definitions are, and how other types of films might actually be pretty Horrific (Marathon Man was one of his favorites )
    Agreed. But, it's part of the human condition to put everything into their little boxes. Horror, is extremely difficult to get right and what's horrifc to a person changes with age. I'm more frightened now by mortgages, than I am vampires or werevolves. That doesn't mean that a movie of that sort wouldn't scare or disturb me. In the right hands, it would (to a degree). Although it's been so long since I've felt genuine tension in a scene and few films have achieved what I believe the great horror movies do and that's a chill down the spine for the entire running time. 'Jaws', 'The Exorcist' and 'Day of the Dead' being three examples of such films. I think the last scene in a film that genuinely had me on edge was in David Lynch's 'Mulholland Drive'. Although not a horror movie, one scene involving a tramp at the back of Winkie's fast food joint, has been one of the few scenes which has got my heart going. I've looked at the scene several times and it still creeps me out.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Actually....I meant the original. It's a bit overrated, imo. I love it in a so-bad-its-fun kind of way, but I really think it gets more attention than it deserves. The only real attention it deserves is that it set the bar for "modern" zombie films. Until Day, that is. Day still has it's bar set firmly in place.
    I get what you're saying. But Dawn was the height of horror in the 80's. What you are calling overrated today is a shadow compared to the love it got back then. If you brought up horror movies people would jump in with Dawn like slashdot posters typing First. So I guess that even if it seems overrated today I think it earned the right to be.

A few I'd drop into the list:
    Hellraiser
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    Anything with Jason in it
    Jaws
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I agree with you picks there. Also, I didn't think Scream was all that great, besides the gut-spilling bit.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Special mention should go to the following…’Witchfinder General’, ‘The Amityville Horror’, ‘The Evil Dead’, ‘Donnie Darko’, ‘The Thing (1958), ‘Hellrasier’, ‘Friday the 13th’ , 'Hostel' , ‘The Birds’ and any Universal / Hammer film or Corman’s Poe movies.
    A special word about Roger Corman ... DA Man, which the spoilt kids don't get. He worked largely in that camp which Grindhouse paid homage to ... The Exploitation Film, started the careers of many a future successful director/producers, and on occasion cranked out some gems among the countless films he made.
    Among them, a nice little supernatural take on reincarnation, The Undead (57) has a crazy shrink send a streetwalker back to a past life in the dark ages where she's to hung for witchcraft ( it stars the original 50 ft woman, allison hayes, best bust among the B-Movie queens )
    Masque of The Red Death(67)was the better of his Poe films, more colorful than his darker attempts, and benefited from the presence of Hazel Court.
    worth a look see.
    While he often worked with next to no money and seriously tight time constraints, Corman still turned out inventive and competent product. Which is why there's little about the man that's over-rated.

Wayne Z

Ireland
    Well neither a) a kid or B) spolit,

I am well aware of what Corman had to work with and what he produced. I still, however, consider his Poe run of films to be generally overrated by critics. I actually liked "Masque of the Red Death" (1964 by the way), which was shot by Nick Roeg, director of 'Don't look Now' (another one on the list). I sought it out after reading a gushing review of it many years ago. I found it to be a somewhat confused mish-mash of several different Poe stories and it didn't really work, but still looks lovely. The vibrant use of that 60's false colour was seldom put to better use.

However, as a "horror" film it's a failure.

It's probably the best of Corman's 8 Poe pictures, but IMO, that ain't saying much.

In saying that, I think Corman was better when he was tackling the less heady heights of the likes of 'Battle Beyond the Stars', or 'Death Race 2000'.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    ... of the likes of 'Battle Beyond the Stars', or 'Death Race 2000'.
    I love both those two movies, btw. I saw Battle Beyond the Stars at a drive-in when it was brand new.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I love both those two movies, btw. I saw Battle Beyond the Stars at a drive-in when it was brand new.

Johnboy in Space.

Undisclosed
    One problem we have is a generation gap, and the fact that a couple of these movies rely on atmosphere to get you through. Secondly, there are folks who go to movies and those of us who love movies, so 'Don't Look Now. " works quite well in that regard.
    Before I finished reading the thread and got to your post I was pretty much thinking the same thing. I think you pretty much nailed it.

I have had many conversations with my younger friends raised on the films that pay homage or in most cases out and out ripped off Carpenter's, Hitchcock's, Polanski's, Craven's, Friedken's, Hooper's and Romero's work (to name a few) and most of them prefer the streamlined contemporary give it to me now,show it all on camera, Subtext...? I don't think my phone gets those kind of text approach of what is so called modern horror. Most of them do not seem capable of appreciating the historical relevance of the "Old" films.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    The Texas Chainsaw Masacre has some genuinely disturbing scenes in it IMO (like when the boys are trying to get their dead father to bash that girls brains out with a hammer...that is really messed up).

The original Dawn is a bit campy in parts (Peter busting out at the end to the "hero" music is fucking hilarious and not grim/horrific/tense in any way shape or form). That said, I still love this movie and it is still my favorite GAR film. The effects don't matter to me to be honest, the film pulls me in and demands that I watch it.
    I just realized something as I reread this thread. You could almost substitute the A-Team theme( the series, not the movie ) for the Hero theme in Dawn. I started playing both in my head ... that's mess up.

Wayne Z
    "You're not just messin with your Life, you're messing with mine. "
    Dawn of The Dead

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Created by Phillyswat...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just realized something as I reread this thread. You could almost substitute the A-Team theme( the series, not the movie ) for the Hero theme in Dawn. I started playing both in my head ... that's mess up.

Wayne Z
    "You're not just messin with your Life, you're messing with mine. "
    Dawn of The Dead

Not exactly, but the "spirit" is the same. I can see where someone would think they're similar.

A team: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyz_2DEah4o

Dawn: Go to the 3 minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G68LnrTO-Z0

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    I've always found that "heroic music" there at the end of "Dawn" to be a bit... well... strangely placed. I like it because it's Peter kickin some zombie tail, but it's just a bit awkward all the same.

"Yay, Peter decided not to kill himself and knocks out some ghouls on the way to the ladder, cue heroic music!"

As far as overrated movies go, I have one to add: "Suspiria" -- see my other thread on this film for details.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    I don't know why, but this made me lmao when I read it.

United States
    Can we still put our list up?

1. Friday the 13th - All of them
    2. Nightmare on Elm St.- All of them
    3. Halloween- All of them.

I guess that is more than eleven. That is about 100 movies if you add them all up, right?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    1. Friday the 13th - All of them
    2. Nightmare on Elm St.- All of them
    3. Halloween- All of them.
    AYE! I thought I was the only one. I don't care for any of these series, either. I've seen most of them and they're okay to watch, but quickly forgotten soon after.

I do like the Halloween remake, though. It's better than the original, imo.