Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Most overated horror movies...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That's like saying Gone With The Wind should have been Atlanta burning for 4 hours....
    I fail to see the problem with that, either. What's your point?
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 29-Jun-2010 at 12:56 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I fail to see the problem with that, either. What's your point?

And to think you've helped DJ's flicks along. If this is all we got, the genre and movies in general are fucked.

United States
    And to think you've helped DJ's flicks along. If this is all we got, the genre and movies in general are fucked.
    Apparently, it's working, so perhaps you should re-think your position.

At least in Dj's movies, we don't have 30 minutes of awesomeness surrounded by 2 hours of a bullshit love story that has nothing to do with the premise of the flick.

If you're gonna call it "Titanic" make it about the Titanic. If you're going to call a movie "Deadlands: The Rising" or "Deadlands 2: Trapped" you make it about zombies.

Seems like one group of us got it right and the other failed miserably.

Next!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If you're gonna call it "Titanic" make it about the Titanic. If you're going to call a movie "Deadlands: The Rising" or "Deadlands 2: Trapped" you make it about zombies.
    How is it NOT about the Titanic? The love story plays out ENTIRELY on the ship. Through that we get to see the ship, how it was operated, and the class system. We're familiar with the ship and when it sinks, it's like losing a character.

So if we were to get picky with it...the film is in fact about the ship. It's almost the only set piece. But maybe it would've been more to your liking if the ship was completely empty? "No passengers. Just start at the collision and lets watch some shit get wet!"
    Last edited by bassman; 29-Jun-2010 at 01:11 PM.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ok, first off lets leave my films out of it. You cannot compare a $10k and $6k zombie flick to a $200,000,000 film about one of the scariest disasters in the last 100 years.

However, I am not against the Jack and Rose love story in Titanic, it's just that I just wanted to know about the ship sinking and I think JC could have easily re-created all of it without the Love Story. Just my opinion.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

How is it NOT about the Titanic? The love story plays out ENTIRELY on the ship. Through that we get to see the ship, how it was operated, and the class system. We're familiar with the ship and when it sinks, it's like losing a character.

So if we were to get picky with it...the film is in fact about the ship. It's almost the only set piece. But maybe it would've been more to your liking if the ship was completely empty? "No passengers. Just start at the collision and lets watch some shit get wet!"
    They could have also just told the story from a survivors POV without all the mushy stuff.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 29-Jun-2010 at 02:29 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    You enjoy your mushy love story, bassman, and I'll enjoy the 30 minutes of awesomeness that is the ship sinking. Then you can go back to crying in your popcorn about leo and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Ok, first off lets leave my films out of it. You cannot compare a $10k aned $6k zombie flick to a $200,000,000 film about one of the scariest disasters in the last 100 years.
    Actually Dj, we can in this case, and here's why: your title accurately describes your flick. Had TITANIC accurately describe itself, it would've been, as I said, "Bullshit Love Story on a Big Boat Named Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    They could have also just told the story from a survivors POV without all the mushy stuff.
    My point exactly.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 29-Jun-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You enjoy your mushy love story, bassman, and I'll enjoy the 30 minutes of awesomeness that is the ship sinking. Then you can go back to crying in your popcorn about leo and friends.
    You know....it's not so much the love story itself that I enjoy(although it is well done), but the way the ship is shown to the audience during that time. As Jack and Rose go through their little adventures, we're also being shown different portions of the ship and how it worked. Including a lot of the historically accurate characters.

That's what I enjoyed most about the first half of the film. Actually seeing what it was like to be on the ship BEFORE it started to go down.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You know....it's not so much the love story itself that I enjoy(although it is well done), but the way the ship is shown to the audience during that time. As Jack and Rose go through their little adventures, we're also being shown different portions of the ship and how it worked. Including a lot of the historically accurate characters.

That's what I enjoyed most about the first half of the film. Actually seeing what it was like to be on the ship BEFORE it started to go down.
    again, this could have been done without all the goddamn mushy stuff.

Now anytime Kate Winslet wants to show her tits and Bush... there are plenty of her other "R-RATED" films I can watch.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    again, this could have been done without all the goddamn mushy stuff.
    Could it even be called a movie with it removed? It just would've been a documentary...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Could it even be called a movie with it removed? It just would've been a documentary...
    A decent writer could have made a movie out of it.

It could have been narrated from the captains log, something.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    The story in Titanic is the loss of people, not the loss of a ship. Without the characterization there is no emotional hook. You see who the people are and get a feel for their mindset. That setup is crucial setup for the harsh transition to tragedy and death.

If you want a factual depiction of the tragedy itself watch the History Channel's series on the Titanic. The one with John Chatterton is amazing and timely. It shows several snapshots of the people who were on board at the time, interviews with survivors, and really explores how the ship went down and how the way it went down likely affected the people's emotions on board. The technical detail behind the scientifc speculation as to the ship's demise is fantastic. On the whole, it's way better than any dramatization of it.

And DJ - we will compare everything you do from movies to postings to turds you leave in the bowl if we wish to and even if it makes no sense at all we'll draw conclusions and sling opinions.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    The story in Titanic is the loss of people, not the loss of a ship.
    I think it's both. The Titanic was the largest passenger steamship in the world at the time - and it was on it's maiden voyage it sank. Yes, I agree the loss of life is more imporant than the loss of the ship, but the ship's stature and importance plays a massive role in the story.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Great things about Titanic as it sits now

Kate Winslet
    Kate Winslet naked
    Billy Zane - he did do a great job at playng the snob
    The ship hitting the burg, sinking and peril in which the passengers went through. I have to say that JC nailed the tension and fear in that last hour of the movie pretty well even I admit I was on the edge of my seat... and I knew what would happen.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    I think it's both. The Titanic was the largest passenger steamship in the world at the time - and it was on it's maiden voyage it sank. Yes, I agree the loss of life is more imporant than the loss of the ship, but the ship's stature and importance plays a massive role in the story.
    I agree with that. It's very similar to the Mall in Dawn '78. The Mall was a character in the movie. The way the place affected the plot and characters made it something you cared about. I think the ship in Titanic was the same. To that end you have to spend some time on it, give it depth, show how it relates to the story. Just like Dawn '04 didn't do with the mall.

...fear in that last hour of the movie pretty well even I admit I was on the edge of my seat... and I knew what would happen.
    I was soooo surprised when it sunk at the end. Man, I never saw that coming!!
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Ireland
    It should have been JUST the ship, sans the crappy romance that was tacked on. i could have done without the 2 hours of Leo and Katie making eyes at each other and cut the iceberg.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....