Thread: Is Uwe Boll intentionally trying to be horrible?

United States

Is Uwe Boll intentionally trying to be horrible?

I wasn't for certain if I should post this in "horror" (the word "horror" in association with Uwe Boll means a completely different thing: i.e. 'Oh dear God the horror of watching this!') or in the media section. Please feel free to move me if I posted in the wrong place.

So, I was thinking about it, and I was wondering if Uwe Boll is intentionally attempting to be the single worst director of all time -- making Roger Corman and Ed Wood look like Bergmanesque film directors. I'm going to go out on a line (not really) in stating that "House of the Dead", "Alone in the Dark", and "Bloodrayne" are some of the worst pieces of shit ever created in the history of film. What makes them even worse is that some of these films have otherwise decent actors (Ben Kingsley, what the hell is your excuse, man?).

I just wonder if it's an agenda Boll has to make the worst films ever created. Is the man intentionally trying to usurp Ed Wood's throne? What do you think?

Anyway, I'm a little hesitant in posting this. I'm afraid that he may come on here and challenge me to a boxing match for saying such things.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i cant remember the specifics but uwe's gig is basically a massive tax break thing so that the movies production recompenses him an insane amount of money, i think boing boing posted a long essay on but yes he is intentionally bad because german filmmaking allows him to make a frankly obscene fortune on it.

That said im pretty sure he actually enjoys filmmaking, to the point where he will fight people and not jsut say so on the internet and lets face it, he makes millions doing what he loves and beats the shit out of people who call him out on the internet. thats a goddamn action hero right there.
    Last edited by Danny; 19-Apr-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    yeah cos we all solve our problems by challenging people to boxing matches
    It's just a display of his ego and machoism as a way of paving over the gaping holes in his talent.
    The guy is a waste of space, but action hero he is not - complete thug and talentless hack, yeah I'll go for that
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Good, bad, what's the difference? In a world where something like Birdemic is getting international acclaim, Boll all of a sudden doesn't seem out of the ordinary. Even if his films are shit, they still make money so more are sure to be coming at us.

Great Britain
    I'm sorry to say but House of the Dead is a Guilty pleasure of mine its mental.

United States
    Is he trying "intentionally" to be horrible? My guess is no.

He's just horrible, period.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I think we've all been had by Uwe Boll myself.