Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Avatar 2, 3, 4 & now 5 (films)

Super Moderator

UK
    That's cool, but I'd rather see Michael Biehn return to the JC fold.

Administrator

England
    Stephen Lang, who played Colonel Miles Quaritch, is - even though he died - back in Avatar 2, 3 and 4

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Steph...els-39968.html

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Hopefully with some new writers on board they can boost the story up a little bit, freshen things up, make it less predictable/done before, which the first film did suffer from (even though I really enjoyed the movie!) ... as for Quaritch, maybe after he got killed in #1 his body was consumed by Ewa or something and he's like part of the eco system or something weird like that ... ... or the military clone him.

Bit of a wait though, 2016 through 2018 ... three of them back-to-back eh? He'd best get the balance right, otherwise you'll end up with three off-kilter films (Matrix 2 & 3, anyone? Even though there was plenty to enjoy in those films, they were inferior to the first for the same reasons in both sequels).

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    as for Quaritch, maybe after he got killed in #1 his body was consumed by Ewa or something and he's like part of the eco system or something weird like that ...
    Yes, like Weaver maybe!?

Or maybe he's another twin
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Can't wait to see how they bring him back into the story.

Psyche.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Lang is awesome to me, so I don't really care how he's back. I'll be glad to see him again.

I'm still surprised we don't see him in more leading roles. Even though his character in Avatar was one big cliché, the guy is awesome...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Lang is awesome to me, so I don't really care how he's back. I'll be glad to see him again.

I'm still surprised we don't see him in more leading roles. Even though his character in Avatar was one big cliché, the guy is awesome...
    I hadn't realised initially, but he was the flabby newspaper reporter guy in Manhunter - quite a physical change - in Avatar he's a hell of an intimidating physical presence.

Now ... how can they improve with the sequels? Get Michael Biehn, Bill Paxton, and possibly even Lance Henriksen on board!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Now ... how can they improve with the sequels? Get Michael Biehn, Bill Paxton, and possibly even Lance Henriksen on board!

Aliens reunion!

Administrator

England
    Filming in New Zealand for December 2016, 17 and 18 release...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/James...ots-40718.html
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    So now a fifth film is planned as well - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36052818

The first sequel is due in 2018, with follow ups in 2020, 2022 and 2023.

Speaking at CinemaCon, Cameron said: "We have decided to embark on a truly massive cinematic process.

"I've been working the last couple of years with a team of four top screenwriters to design the world of Avatar going forward: The characters, the creatures, the environment, the new cultures.

"So far, the art I'm seeing, is in pure imagination, really far beyond the first film. It's going to be a true epic saga."
    Personally, I'm more interested in these than Star Wars for example...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    If they can pull it off then good on them, but really, another four movies now?! Might that be a smidge presumptuous? The 3D fad has waned quite a bit since 2009 - when Avatar was the movie for everyone to go and 'try out this new form of 3D' (me and a bunch of mates did that very thing). Since then 3D viewing figures are down (look at Star Wars TFA), so the 3D gimmick isn't going to return them the profits they saw beforehand. The hoopla surrounding the film has died down quite a bit, too, so they'll really have to get people amped up for new flicks (#2 coming out nine years after #1). I'm sure they'll bring along something entertaining, and I'm glad that they seem to be working hard on the scripts - it has to be said that Avatar wasn't particularly original on that front - but it did have spectacle and a fascinating world to explore.

We'll see how it goes, I guess ... still quite a ways off ... I just hope they're not biting off more than they can chew and, should the worst happen (i.e. film 2 or 3 flops big), I'd not want the overall story to get cut off before it's finished.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 15-Apr-2016 at 09:26 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Hmm. Well, if Cameron has this much faith in the project, there must be some value to it.

I'll be the first to say that I found Avatar 1 to be a dull film. Not only was the plot paper thin, it was a textbook example of just showing off state-of-the-art technology. I even found the actual designs to be lackluster. Geez, wow, look at that horselike creatures that functions just like a horse... But in space. Or how about the space-pumas? Or the space-dragon? I don't see why it got so much credit for it's designs. In addition, the human designs were boring to. There's your run-of-the-mill scifi Mech, there's your average sci-fi Verticopter...

But still, the man isn't incompetent. But had Avatar been 2 hours long instead of 3, it would have been a much better film. And maybe what we're getting here is the story for ONE film stretched out over FOUR films?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Hmm. Well, if Cameron has this much faith in the project, there must be some value to it.

I'll be the first to say that I found Avatar 1 to be a dull film. Not only was the plot paper thin, it was a textbook example of just showing off state-of-the-art technology. I even found the actual designs to be lackluster. Geez, wow, look at that horselike creatures that functions just like a horse... But in space. Or how about the space-pumas? Or the space-dragon? I don't see why it got so much credit for it's designs. In addition, the human designs were boring to. There's your run-of-the-mill scifi Mech, there's your average sci-fi Verticopter...

But still, the man isn't incompetent. But had Avatar been 2 hours long instead of 3, it would have been a much better film. And maybe what we're getting here is the story for ONE film stretched out over FOUR films?
    I enjoyed Avatar... It's not the "bad film" many people seem to want to proclaim it to be (IMHO), but it certainly isn't a super classic

I think Cameron made the film look so effortless, people almost under estimate the story/work within it IMHO.

Anyhoo, here's hoping Cameron's future Avatar films improve on the first
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    So he's shooting all four concurrently in effect - http://famousmonsters.com/archives/22748

It’s not back-to-back. It’s really all one big production. It’s more the way you would shoot a miniseries. So we’ll be shooting across all [AVATAR scripts] simultaneously. So Monday I might be doing a scene from Movie Four, and Tuesday I’m doing a scene from Movie One. … We’re working across, essentially, eight hours of story. It’s going to be a big challenge to keep it all fixed in our minds, exactly where we are, across that story arc at any given point. It’s going to be probably the most challenging thing I’ve ever done. I’m sure the actors will be challenged by that as well. It’s like, ‘No, no, no, no, this person hasn’t died yet, so you’re still in this phase of your life.’
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Crikey!

Well, as long as everyone keeps beat sheets to track their characters and references those against their scripts, that should be a big help in keeping them on-track. Likewise for Cameron & Co.

It's gonna be a big old thing to pull off, but seeing as Avatar 2 is out in a couple of years they'd probably shoot most of that up front, wouldn't you think, before they get into 3 and 4 and 5, which would probably more likely be the ones they do more 'all over the place'. I wonder if Cameron got the idea from Peter Jackson doing LOTR and The Hobbit flicks, where they were jumping back and forth in the timeline for production reasons and cast availability.

As for a challenge, well, we all know JC loves a challenge, so he should be capable of pulling this off.