Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: World War Z News!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It was a great performance regardless of his death. True, his death may have helped non-fans take notice, but he was getting praised for the role before his death. If he was still around today I think that role still would've garnered him huge appraisal.
    I agree with you, it was a good performance, but I think we can both agree that he would've never garnered the attention he did for the role had he not died. Believe me, I don't think it's right, but we all know people are more valuable/famous dead than alive. Know what I mean? I think due to that fact, it got so blown out of proportion it ruined that movie, his character in particular, for me. Matter of fact, I still think BB was better than TDK and everyone calls me nuts for saying that. So be it. I'm nuts then!

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    You have no idea how hard it is to get good conversation and opinions outside ouf this place.
    Los, scarier words have never been posted.

United States
    Let me preface by saying I'm not a Batman nerd...

I like Keaton as Batman. I think he captured the introverted everyman nature. He also conveyed a barely contained depth of pain which must be part of the character. All the later Batmen were cast for their super hunkiness, and that is a major detraction for me. Kilmer was horrible. His attempts to portray inner pain just came off as wooden. Bale seemed... I don't know... pretty but shallow. No real sense of Batman there for me. I will say, however, that I didn't watch Batman Begins, so I may be missing out on the development of Bale's Batman.

I like Nicholson as Joker. He had showstopping charisma mixed with an on-the-edge sociopathic flair. He sold me on the sane madman as villain. I thought Ledger's performance was ho-hum, dead or otherwise.

In general I thought Dark Knight was ho-hum. I only hope the next 14 iterations of Batman are good.

Like i said. Good to be back and thanks for the concern everyone. This place has got a hold on me. I couldn't leave if i wanted to.
    Just in case no one else has the guts to tell you... we all cheated on you while you were gone. Every ... single ... one ... of us.

Welcome back darth!!
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Just in case no one else has the guts to tell you... we all cheated on you while you were gone. Every ... single ... one ... of us.

Welcome back darth!!

Well, that would explain the smell of sex that was in the air when i got back lol.

Thanks bud.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

England
    I can't say that I have.

Thanks for the concern. I appreciate it, really. If one thing my mom taught me that I never forgot:

You have to appreciate what people do for you because no one really has to do anything for you.

I was actually laid up in a hospital for a week and a half with a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot) in my leg. Very dangerous stuff.

I finally ggot up the strength to get into work today. The fact that the bills are piling up isn't helping either. If it was up to me I would have taken this week off too.

But agian, thanks for the concern. It's good to see you guys again too.
    Woah. That is some serious stuff man. Good to have you back with us.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Bale seemed... I don't know... pretty but shallow. No real sense of Batman there for me. I will say, however, that I didn't watch Batman Begins, so I may be missing out on the development of Bale's Batman.

See Batman Begins. BB and TDK are the same story and you have to see the origins in BB to gain a better appreaciation of TDK, imo.

I can't believe you saw TDK without BB. That's like seeing Aliens without Alien.
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Jul-2010 at 08:49 PM.

United States
    Let me preface by saying I'm not a Batman nerd...

I like Keaton as Batman. I think he captured the introverted everyman nature. He also conveyed a barely contained depth of pain which must be part of the character. All the later Batmen were cast for their super hunkiness, and that is a major detraction for me. Kilmer was horrible. His attempts to portray inner pain just came off as wooden. Bale seemed... I don't know... pretty but shallow. No real sense of Batman there for me. I will say, however, that I didn't watch Batman Begins, so I may be missing out on the development of Bale's Batman.

I like Nicholson as Joker. He had showstopping charisma mixed with an on-the-edge sociopathic flair. He sold me on the sane madman as villain. I thought Ledger's performance was ho-hum, dead or otherwise.
    Well said. I also really digged Michael Keaton as Batman. I've always thought Keaton is an extremely underrated actor and is quite talented. I enjoy his work (especially his darker work). I think his portrayal of Batty was more human and realistic than the secret ninja of Bale. Michael Keaton seemed like an actual person as Batman, Bale didn't seem as human and more like a caricature (IMO). I don't agree with Ledger's performance as Joker being "ho-hum" -- I thought he was fantastic in the role, but comparing anyone to Jack as the Joker is like comparing anyone to the one and only William Shater as playing Jim Kirk. Just can't compare.

Nicholson is just a class act all together. I'm wondering if Nicholson or Keaton ever made any public announcements about their opinion on Bale's and Ledger's interpretation? I'd love to hear their thoughts on their young padawan's (especially Nicholson's views on Ledger as Bale). Anyone know?

I think comparing Keaton and Bale as Batman are a bit like comparing Connery and Moore as 007 (eh, Timothy Dalton kicked all their butts! ). It's all a matter of perspective for what you look at in the character to make the decision as to who your favorite is going to be.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    but comparing anyone to Jack as the Joker is like comparing anyone to the one and only William Shater as playing Jim Kirk. Just can't compare.
    I prefer Chris Pine's version of Kirk over Shatner's. Shatner has always been a wooden actor and his vocal patterns are enough to make me consider suicide. Mother Fucker needs Hooked on Phonics, a vocal coach, or something.

Nicholson is just a class act all together. I'm wondering if Nicholson or Keaton ever made any public announcements about their opinion on Bale's and Ledger's interpretation? I'd love to hear their thoughts on their young padawan's (especially Nicholson's views on Ledger as Bale). Anyone know?
    Nicholson hasn't made a statement about the films, but when asked about Ledger's take on the character and his death, Nicholson replied with "I warned him". Whatever the fuck that means...

Keaton said he liked the real world approach to Batman Begins. He still loves the gothic world he and Burton created, but he also admired how Nolan made the character believable. Can't find the videos now, but I saw them a few years back.

Anyway. I still like Burton and Keaton's Batman. It was legendary for it's time. Got it on Blu Ray and watch it regularly. But Nolan and Bale's take is much more true to the source material. On top of being more true to the comics, it's also grounded in a reality where you can believe it's possible. It's explained how he goes from an orphaned child to a masked vigilante, where as Burton's batman is just THERE. There is no explanation as to how he got the skills, the knowledge, the vehicle, the suit, etc.
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Jul-2010 at 09:09 PM.

United States
    I prefer Chris Pine's version of Kirk over Shatner's. Shatner has always been a wooden actor and his vocal patterns are enough to make me consider suicide. Mother Fucker needs Hooked on Phonics, a vocal coach, or something.

Nicholson hasn't made a statement about the films, but when asked about Ledger's take on the character and his death, Nicholson replied with "I warned him". Whatever the fuck that means...

Keaton said he liked the real world approach to Batman Begins. He still loves the gothic world he and Burton created, but he also admired how Nolan made the character believable. Can't find the videos now, but I saw them a few years back.

Anyway. I still like Burton and Keaton's Batman. It was legendary for it's time. Got it on Blu Ray and watch it regularly. But Nolan and Bale's take is much more true to the source material. On top of being more true to the comics, it's also grounded in a reality where you can believe it's possible. It's explained how he goes from an orphaned child to a masked vigilante, where as Burton's batman just DOES. There is no explanation to how he got there.
    Interesting tidbit: Shatner's frequent pauses in the original series were actually due to his issues with having to read the queue cards. Due to the filming schedule he wasn't able to memorize his lines and frequently had to rely on reading queue cards. He had to squint to read the cards and.... his.... hesi-ta-tion and... stresses... between words was due to this. It has become a staple of the character though.

I think the "I warned you" that you mention is actually a bit eerie. Perhaps Jack had his own Martin Sheen/"Apocalypse Now" moment with becoming the Joker and attempted to warn Ledger that if he got too far into the character it would take him to a very, very dark place?

As far as the atmosphere/city being more believable in BB and TDK I agree 100%. It was more like a real place with the dark, gritty, feel to it. But the character of Batman being more realistic from Bale as opposed to Keaton? Eh, I'd have to argue with that. Keaton seemed real as an individual as opposed to a secretive ninja. Plus, sometimes mystery is better.

Just my ever increasing change on the matter.

j.p.

Undisclosed
    I always get annoyed in the Burton Batman vs. Nolan Batman debate. I like both versions for different reasons. I really don't see why one has to be crowned as the better film. Nicholson's Joker was awesome, but Ledger's Joker was a completely different monster. As far as I'm concerned, they were both extremely entertaining, so I give them a draw.

As far as World War Z, which story from the book are you looking forward to seeing? I'm having a tough time deciding between the surgeon, the Battle of Yonkers, and the Hollywood celebrity's fortress being stormed by humans.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EDukes View Post
    As far as World War Z, which story from the book are you looking forward to seeing? I'm having a tough time deciding between the surgeon, the Battle of Yonkers, and the Hollywood celebrity's fortress being stormed by humans.
    Downed female Pilot slogging her way through zombie infested swampland aided by mysterious voice on her radio.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Downed female Pilot slogging her way through zombie infested swampland aided by mysterious voice on her radio.
    That's he first one I thought of the other day when I was thinking about different scenes that would hopefully make the movie! I don't know if I'd say it's my favorite, but it's damned memorable.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    My bigger concern with him is that it'll shift the movie toward a blockbuster centered around him rather than a plot driven story.
    Bingo!

Shatner has always been a wooden actor and his vocal patterns are enough to make me consider suicide.
    One can only hope.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    One can only hope.
    Damn, Dub, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't laughing my ass off at this comment, but isn't that harsh even for you?

There should be a book of Dub's witticisms. It would only be thirty pages long collected from years of statements, but it would be well worth the money.

j.p.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    but isn't that harsh even for you?

That's like telling Tony the Tiger "but isn't that overly animated and feline. . .even for you?"
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Enough of this Batman talk...

Being that it's Forster - who did Quantum of Solace - I do hope he shoots the action without the ludicrously "can't see anything" shaky-cam routine. The opening car chase of QoS was a piss take in that respect, and other action scenes - too much shaky-cam ... pull back a bit, and shake less PLEASE!