Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: World War Z News!

Undisclosed

World War Z News!

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/169...war-z-progress

There's several zombie films in the works right now but none of them have anything close to the potential promise of "World War Z" based on Max Brooks’s best-seller.

However there was fear that the project had become stalled in development in recent months and may not make it into production after all. Not so says the author.

“Paramount just renewed the option for World War Z, for half the time and twice the money, so that might signal interest” said Brooks in a recent interview with Fear.Net (via Sci-Fi TV. So where does it stand right now? "We still got our director, Marc Forster, who's raring to go. Were all waiting on Matt Carnahan's new draft, which should come in a month or so.”

Brooks says part of the hesitancy is the expense in portraying a global apocalypse - “You can't do a cheap and dirty World War Z. It's a world war, and I think that makes studio executives nervous. I think it limits its options, so that's running against it.”

The more I hear about this the better I like it. I hope they do spend the dough to make a great movie!!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    “Paramount just renewed the option for World War Z, for half the time and twice the money, so that might signal interest” said Brooks...
    Best news I've heard all...afternoon (got some really good news this morning), but this is the best zombie news I've had all week!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You know, I really hope that this is truly epic. The genre sorely needs it and the master is apparently incapable of delivering that.

Last night i saw a film set in the old west with Chris Catan in it for christ's sake!

Zombies are in danger of becoming comical fodder for slapstick humor (Zombieland, great flick tho but not what i consider a zombie movie, ok maybe that was a bad example but you get my drift).

There needs to be a serious foray in this, perhaps a trilogy that breathes new life into it because truthfully everyone that comes out now days is total crap. (forgive if a couple slipped my mind)

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I remember reading a production blog about WWZ and I think it was the director that said Paramount is nervous because the film was budgeted out at $100,000,000+ which they felt was to risky for an R-rated zombie film.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    You know, I really hope that this is truly epic. The genre sorely needs it and the master is apparently incapable of delivering that.
    This.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Glad to hear it's still rolling along and I like Forster's work.......

BUT....The Walking Dead is my numero uno upcoming dead adventure.

United States
    “You can't do a cheap and dirty World War Z. It's a world war, and I think that makes studio executives nervous. I think it limits its options, so that's running against it.”
    Yeah, cause making a world encompassing movie is sooo hard.

*cough* 2012 *cough

Or is it hard to make a world movie WITH plot?
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Or is it hard to make a world movie WITH plot?
    Sadly that's probably the case.

We live in an ADHD age.

If the original dawn were released today it would be a colossal flop. Just think about that.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Administrator

England
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/169...war-z-progress

There's several zombie films in the works right now but none of them have anything close to the potential promise of "World War Z" based on Max Brooks’s best-seller.

However there was fear that the project had become stalled in development in recent months and may not make it into production after all. Not so says the author.

“Paramount just renewed the option for World War Z, for half the time and twice the money, so that might signal interest” said Brooks in a recent interview with Fear.Net (via Sci-Fi TV. So where does it stand right now? "We still got our director, Marc Forster, who's raring to go. Were all waiting on Matt Carnahan's new draft, which should come in a month or so.”

Brooks says part of the hesitancy is the expense in portraying a global apocalypse - “You can't do a cheap and dirty World War Z. It's a world war, and I think that makes studio executives nervous. I think it limits its options, so that's running against it.”

The more I hear about this the better I like it. I hope they do spend the dough to make a great movie!!
    Fingers crossed!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Too bad that nobody will give Romero the same budget bestowed upon on latecomers like Zack the Hack so then you'd know exactly what he's actually capable of delivering.

And I'm not so certain the genre is in "need" of anything. It just is.

England
    Great news. Take your time gentlemen. No need to rush this one
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Too bad that nobody will give Romero the same budget bestowed upon on latecomers like Zack the Hack so then you'd know exactly what he's actually capable of delivering.

And I'm not so certain the genre is in "need" of anything. It just is.
    Zack had $22,000,000 to make the DAWN remake. Romero got $18,000,000 to do Land. While $4,000,000 may seem like a lot it is not. Zack made the better movie with about the same amount of money.

If Romero can make Day look as great as it does for $3,000,000 and make DAWN looks as awesome as it does for $500K, why couldn't he outshine Zack Snyder with less money. Romero has always been known as the director that knows how to stretch every dollar... one of the traits I use as a filmmaker, something I learned from George, yet in this instance his long awaited film turned into a disaster.

I wanna know what happened to the Romero from Night Dawn and Day. The one who got me into the genre and made me immerse myself into his world.

Granted I am much older now, and things change, but I never expected it to change so drastically he is regulated to DTV work with the amount of cheese found ina sci-fi flick.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Zack made the better movie with about the same amount of money.

If Romero can make Day look as great as it does for $3,000,000 and make DAWN looks as awesome as it does for $500K, why couldn't he outshine Zack Snyder with less money.
    Quit being so dense. Romero did outshine Zack the Hack with less money when making the same movie in a mall setting.

The DAWN remake is hardly "epic" in any way, shape or form. The mall scenes look like made-for-TV fare with just a handful of actors.

Let's see Zack the Hack do LAND with $18,000,000.

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I wanna know what happened to the Romero from Night Dawn and Day. The one who got me into the genre and made me immerse myself into his world.
    I'll tell you exactly what happened to him: he's now making movies with people from Zack the Hack's generation i.e. people that have no idea about the craft of actually making films. They sit behind computers all day and push buttons.

What you should be asking is where's Michael Gornick, where's Tom Savini, where's John Harrison, et al?
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 23-Apr-2010 at 12:40 AM.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Glad to hear it's still rolling along and I like Forster's work.......

BUT....The Walking Dead is my numero uno upcoming dead adventure.
    And if The Walking Dead is the success that it hopefully will be, maybe the studio execs will jump on the bandwagon and throw money at WWZ. Fingers crossed for both, because if done right, WWZ could be what we've all been waiting for since Day Of The Dead.
    Kill 'em All

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Quit being so dense. Romero did outshine Zack the Hack with less money when making the same movie in a mall setting.

The DAWN remake is hardly "epic" in any way, shape or form. The mall scenes look like made-for-TV fare with just a handful of actors.

Let's see Zack the Hack do LAND with $18,000,000.

I'll tell you exactly what happened to him: he's now making movies with people from Zack the Hack's generation i.e. people that have no idea about the craft of actually making films. They sit behind computers all day and push buttons.

What you should be asking is where's Michael Gornick, where's Tom Savini, where's John Harrison, et al?

First off lets not compare 30 years ago with today. And don't call me dense because I understand the entire process of what does need to occur. My whole point is that if Romero was good with lower budgets 30 years ago there should be no reason why he couldn't be as good with them today.

I read the LOTD script before the film went into production and what was on paper was a hell of a lot better than what ended up on screen. Hell I will go bold as to say my film, Deadlands 2 is better than Land of the Dead, and way more fucking epic and I only spent $6,000.00

Survival is even better than LAND, not by much, but it is better.

Don't use the excuse that Romero is working with Zack Snyder generation film crew. He is the director, he should be able to convey his vision to the crew and they should be able to execute his vision.

I would like to know what happened to Mike Gornick, because I think Mike would have been a better cinematographer than Miroslaw. The Cinematography in LAND is horrible, and if you wanna call the DAWN remake a made for TV movie... then LAND is made for SYFY. LAND had absolutely no business being released in theaters. PERIOD! That film is such a mess, so corny, so completely and utterly stupid, it should be ashamed to call it self a DEAD film.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!