Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Alan Wake - (original video game)

Super Moderator

UK
    Well I've already got it for the Xbox360, so that's not an issue - but I don't have my Quad Core linked to the internet (which is downstairs, on the other side of the house) ... and actually it doesn't have Windows 7, so I can't get DX11 graphics on games that I play on it anyway ... so there's little point in using it for games. I'm just glad that Alan Wake is getting another shot, and this time on the PC market (which at one time it was to be exclusive to )

But I don't like Steam for the faffy nature of having to sign on the internet at all to be able to play a game you've legally bought. I think it's a flawed and annoying system - doubly so for those who don't have a gaming PC linked to the internet - anytime I've used it I've not liked it. I'm old school - a CD/DVD code is more my style. However seeing as I have an Xbox360 that sort of thing isn't an issue ... however DLC and XBL related updates and content is an issue, as yet again I don't have that connected to the internet.

All this thinking about "connectivity" and they all forget about the people who cannot get/aren't "connected".

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I think it's a flawed and annoying system
    As would anyone else from the 18th century

doubly so for those who don't have a gaming PC linked to the internet
    Haven't we been through this before? Get some homeplugs? Sorted! Steam is excellent in that it keeps the game fully upto date/patched automatically. And Steam does have periodic good deals, which are just a few clicks of a mouse away...

Then on the multilpayer front, it of course helps organise group games for you and your friends etc etc
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah but like I said - no DX11 for me - and my internet just keeps getting slower. Sod off would I want to attempt downloading a 7.5gb game or whatever via the internet - physical media, baby!

Plus - it's nothing but spend-spend-spend ... I don't need Steam nor what it offers, so why bother?

Blu-Ray and HD offered me much more - so I got in on that instead.

United States
    But I don't like Steam for the faffy nature of having to sign on the internet at all to be able to play a game you've legally bought. I think it's a flawed and annoying system - doubly so for those who don't have a gaming PC linked to the internet - anytime I've used it I've not liked it.
    That, and downloading ANYTHING from Steam, regardless of your internet connection speed, is slow as dogshit. Perhaps others don't have that problem, but with 10mbit up/25mbit down, I should be downloading from their servers at lightning speed (like everything else) and that's not the case.

I. HATE. STEAM.

Sod off would I want to attempt downloading a 7.5gb game or whatever via the internet - physical media, baby!
    Damn right. Physical media is the way to go (if you can).

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    ^^

I love this game, it's one of those titles I can get really obsessed with and seek out as much further information on it as I can.

I didn't love that commentary however by those two smart-arse dimwits ... the bit where they take the mick out of the platforming bit (where you move the logs to form a bridge) and then immediately screw it up by their own incompetence made me laugh and roll my eyes simultaneously - even moreso as one of the commentators had already played the game (so you'd think he remember how to do that part properly!) Their commentary was generally piss poor, getting certain information mixed up or misinterpreted ... plus they sucked at it (like so many of IGN's staff whenever it comes to playing any game ... if it's a racer they're crashing into walls all the time, if it's a shooter they're constantly shooting people in the foot or missing entirely, if any thought or exploration is involved they're all over the place ). Anyway ... /rant on IGN's reviewers/commentators

The game itself though - love it.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Makes me want to play it all over again.

Will you be getting yourself a copy, Neil?

Super Moderator

UK
    Alan Wake has now sold over 2 million - sweet!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-has-a-future/

I was bummed when the initial sales were like 145,000 units - but then again that was the same week that Red Dead Redemption came out. Now, I bought both games brand new (in the UK AW came out one week ahead of RDR), but I'm sure many gamers just went for RDR and didn't get into AW until a long way down the road - picking it up on sale prices, which is somewhat pertinent to the discussion in the thread about the retailers Game ... so it's good to see it's shifted a nice chunk now, even if it did take a while.

Hopefully this news will eventually bring an announcement in the shape of, oh I don't know, Alan Wake 2? I certainly hope so - I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for just that.

Super Moderator

UK
    Fan of the in-game show "Night Springs" (sort of like The Twilight Zone)? Joystiq has posted all of the episodes, including three never-before-seen ones.

http://www.joystiq.com/tag/night-springs/

United States
    Fan of the in-game show "Night Springs" (sort of like The Twilight Zone)? Joystiq has posted all of the episodes, including three never-before-seen ones.

http://www.joystiq.com/tag/night-springs/
    Sweet! Thanks for the links to that, MZ.