Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Wake - (original video game)

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Alan Wake "The Signal" DLC Teaser Trailer

Update:

But like the article says, it gives no insight on what's to come.

What a gyp.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...r-Trailer.html

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    well, beat alan wake for the first time last night. definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of these sort of games.

real quick, here's a run-down of my major gripes/praises:

bad:

camera is pain in the ass at times.
    character animations look a bit out of date
    controls pissed me off at times (i'm used to games where you can crouch, sprint/dodge button both using LB, unable to climb small fences, etc)

good:

awesome soundtrack
    very eerie and spooky atmosphere, really draws you in
    neat gameplay mechanics (using light to weaken enemies)
    memorable characters/settings

bout to start it up again on a harder difficulty setting next week, and am looking forward to some free DLC...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

How Collectibles Nearly Destroyed Alan Wake and Why Gamer DNA Is At Fault

The writer makes some good points here.

I can't tell you the amount of times I get distracted from the game in an effort to collect those things.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...-At-Fault.html

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    yeah, tell me about it. everyplace i went to, i was always joking around (in alan wake voice aloud) about "maybe somebody left their thermos laying around" or "any absent-minded coffee drinkers been here lately?"

i think i nabbed about 75 of 'em on my first time playing, going to hit up youtube and go back and get all of them and the manuscript pages.

the radio and tv collectibles were fun and added to the story, along with the manuscript pages, but those fucking thermoses...ugh.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    the radio and tv collectibles were fun and added to the story, along with the manuscript pages
    Tell me about it. I would have homicidal maniacs lurking outside the house and would still listen to them to their completion.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    the coffee thermoses are a leftover from the sandbox version where you had to drink them to keep alan wake longer and to get him to run faster and do things like start generators faster. They were kept in to add an exploratory element. i whent for them from the off because i was gonna explore every nook and cranny anyway and only had like 6 left at the end. Whereas a friend of mine only had 20 because he beelined for the checkpoint direction on each map and just ran to each one.
    I don't think it was an experience ruiner, the lambda caches in half life 2 where much more irritating.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah I was wondering what the thermoses were supposed to be for once upon a time - they still should have allowed some kind of purpose in them, like make you run faster for longer and have better aim - so you'd use less bullets on enemies, say. Something to make it worthwhile.

I was never distracted by the thermoses, but there's little point in them. Now the radio and TV shows I specifically searched out as they added to the overall story - and I got them all ... Achievement points, thank you.

Undisclosed
    Alan Who?

I just started the game, btw.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Alan Who?

I just started the game, btw.
    Better get a move on. The DLC will be here in a few weeks.

United States
    Well, I finally finished it (with some help from my son) - excellent game. Yes, it has a few flaws, but they make it all up with the atmosphere, intensity, and excellent story thoughout.

A+, and cannot wait for the DLC to hit...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Well, I finally finished it (with some help from my son) - excellent game. Yes, it has a few flaws, but they make it all up with the atmosphere, intensity, and excellent story thoughout.

A+, and cannot wait for the DLC to hit...

It does seem as if our kids have a knack for gaming huh?

I believe the DLC comes out the 27th.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post

I believe the DLC comes out the 27th.

I do hope the DLC eventually comes to disc!

Undisclosed
    I have been trying to get into this game, but I am just not feeling it. How long is it? I got past the part with the birds.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    I have been trying to get into this game, but I am just not feeling it. How long is it? I got past the part with the birds.
    Pretty much every part has birds.

There ae 6 chapters in all.

i'm curious though. What about it is ruining the esperience for you?

Are you playing it properly like with all the lights turned out and stuff?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Mine doesn't just have the knack, he's a freakin' genius! I've seen that kid finish games in hours instead of days - ones that should have taken him days.

Of course, when I was a kid, I'd do the same thing - but our games were much less complicated than the stuff that's out there now. Well, at least some of it.