Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: So I let my son watch the original Nightmare on Elm Street

United States

So I let my son watch the original Nightmare on Elm Street

Now, let me start off by saying that the original NOES was the one and only film that really disturbed me as a kid. It came out in '84, and I was the ripe young age of 13. My mom took me and a friend to the theatre to check it out, and I was never the same. I spent a week sleeping on a concrete floor in a bedroom in our basement because I was petrified of the "Johnny Depp" fate. Top this all off with a double-dose - the following weekend was my birthday, and what stupid idea did I have? Yeah, "lets go see it again!" Bad idea. Disturbed me just as much the first time as it did the 2nd.

Fast-forward a few decades. My son is now 14. I finally sat down with him and let him watch the original in all it's uncut glory. I told him beforehand how much this movie bothered me as a kid, and that I was only a year younger than him when I saw it for the fist time. I figured it was time he checked it out (he's a major horror movie fan, but being the kind of parent I am, I don't just let him watch "anything" uncut - it depends on the content of the film). So anyway, we sit down and watch the movie from beginning to end in a nice dark room on my big screen with the audio CRANKED through my surround sound system. FYI, we were watching the Infinifilm version, which has the DD5.1 mix on it (mixed well, too).

So we watch the movie, and when it's over, my son turns to me and says "That movie scared you that much? Why?"

It's amazing, but I'm having a hard time comprehending how he didn't find anything that "scary" about the film. He's only a year older than I was when he saw it, yet, it had nowhere near the impact on him that it did me. I'm not sure if it's because of the environment he saw it in (I have a 50" LCD, so it's a decent sized screen, and my audio/surround setup is pretty damn good for a home theatre) or if it's just.... well, I don't know! While some parts of the movie are dated, I didn't think the FX or anything were THAT dated to make him think "wow, the effects just suck in this"

I think I mentioned in several other threads that certain movies were just done in the right time in our lives and wouldn't have the same affect on us had we saw them at any other point. I'm starting to think that was the case here. Either that, or I was just a MAJOR wuss when I was a kid, I don't know. Most horror movies didn't have a scare-the-ever-living-shit-out-of-me affect when I was a kid, but NOES did. I can't explain why, I just know what it did - and here, my son at 14, is asking me why I thought the movie was as scary as it was to me.

I was pretty surprised to say the least.

To be honest, I can't think of one movie that has bothered him so much that it completely freaked him out. I wonder why that is? I mean, we do watch a lot of horror movies, and he checks out a lot of SyFy flicks (I know, 99% of them suck, but still, he gets a kick out of 'em) - do you think it's a desensitization issue? Or perhaps he's just not moved by scary flicks?

I'm sorta baffled by this one.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Hmm... it could be that NoES isn't that far removed from movies you'd see on the Sci-Fi channel.

It could also be that you were caught kind of unawares the first time you saw it, whereas your son has probably been told time and time again how scary it was and has imagined something much more disturbing than any movie could deliver on.

Or maybe he was a little scared by it, but is now too far into his teenage years and full of bravado to admit it to his dad.

United States
    NOES was made to scare little girls (just messing with ya)

I can't believe he is in high-school. That is insane. Just think, in 4 years he will be an adult. How is that for scary?

Undisclosed
    Hes prolly seen much "scarier" and violent things that you are just unaware of.
    but being the kind of parent I am, I don't just let him watch "anything" uncut
    My parents would have said the same thing but they were completely incapable of actually carrying out this claim. I mean hell, by the time I was in third grade they couldnt get me to do anything. They were incapable of punishing me as well, would take all my belongings, lock me in my room, send me to bed without supper, spank me, yet my responce to this was *hmm now I can do whatever I want no punishments left"....

Following is a digression from the topic.
    I remember once (third grade or younger) my parents made me sleep in their room because I was being punished. I had to sleep under their supervision because I would run away constantly. I ask to go to the bathroom right as my dad left the room to get water. My mom says ok and then I bolt off...my mom screams for my dad to catch me but since hes in the kitchen by now he cant see me open the front door and close it(without exiting) I then hide in the closet next to that door. Eventually they are both looking for me outside I return to my bedroom and sleep under the bed. Lol they spent like hours that night looking for me in the woods near my house(a place I often ran away to). Man I was such a rascal (sociopath).
    My point being the stuff he has been exposed to already is a different style or language of scary. In this sense I just dont this older stuff is likely to resonate with a younger crowd to the degree that they find it scary.

This all being said perhaps I am unqualified to give a meaningful opinion the only movie that I have ever found scary throughout my entire life was Lost Highway...

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

United States
    First - hey, fulci!

All valid points, and I'm sure you guys are right - it's a desensitization issue. He's probably seen more gore on the SyFy channel than he saw in the original NOES (barring the Nancy slaughtering scene.. ).

It might've just been me too, like krakenslayer said too - although I seem to remember having seen a lot of horror movies when I was around that age. There was just something about NOES that freaked me the fuck out in a major way, and I'm surprised my son, who is darn near the same age I was when I saw it, was completely unaffected by it.

Strange how that works.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    It might've just been me too, like krakenslayer said too - although I seem to remember having seen a lot of horror movies when I was around that age. There was just something about NOES that freaked me the fuck out in a major way, and I'm surprised my son, who is darn near the same age I was when I saw it, was completely unaffected by it.
    I guess, a horror movie can be like a woman - what works for one guy, can do nothing for another. It's personal all down to personal taste and chemistry.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I know one thing that scared the LIVING HELL out of him.

The night the zombies attacked the car when we were shooting Deadlands 1. He was freaked the fuck out and Connor had to take his place the rest of the movie. So if Freddy didn't scare him I sure as fuck will always remember my zombies scared the shit out of him.

Far as I am concerned my job was finished.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Well, yeah Dj, but that was a bit of a different situation. You're talking about being in a live situation with living (sorta.. lol) people vs. watching a movie on tv.

Either way, you're right - that scared the ever-living shit out of him.

Is it wrong I'm laughing at that?!

United States
    Doesn't matter what he may or may not have seen on Sci-Fi or whatever. Gore does NOT equal scary. Never has or will. And everything on Sci-Fi is just plain stupid, not scary.

Nightmare on Elm Street isn't supposed to be scary when you watch it. It's supposed to scare you later, when you're lying in bed in the pitch black. When you're about to fall asleep, and dream, where the villain lives.

Bust in on him about half an hour after he goes to bed, and see what happens. You'll see if he's actually afraid or not.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Doesn't matter what he may or may not have seen on Sci-Fi or whatever. Gore does NOT equal scary. Never has or will. And everything on Sci-Fi is just plain stupid, not scary.

Nightmare on Elm Street isn't supposed to be scary when you watch it. It's supposed to scare you later, when you're lying in bed in the pitch black. When you're about to fall asleep, and dream, where the villain lives.

Bust in on him about half an hour after he goes to bed, and see what happens. You'll see if he's actually afraid or not.
    OH HELL YES LOU!

DO THAT... PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY SET YOUR CAMERA TO NIGHT VISION MODE AND FILM IT!

Then share it with us here on HPotD

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Well, yeah Dj, but that was a bit of a different situation. You're talking about being in a live situation with living (sorta.. lol) people vs. watching a movie on tv.

Nope... I giggle all the time at that.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Of course not. You're supposes to laugh at things that embarass your kids.

Think of it as the equalizer for all the shit they put you through as a parent but are oblivious to.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States

Then I have some short-circuits somewhere, 'cause not only did it scare me later, it scared me while I was in the theatre watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Of course not. You're supposes to laugh at things that embarass your kids.

Think of it as the equalizer for all the shit they put you through as a parent but are oblivious to.

lmfao, you just went up 10 notches on my likeability scale.

United States
    Whoa, wait.

He's 14, right? Well, DON'T look at him when you come charging in. At that age, he may be doing something you'd rather not witness. That slipped my mind earlier.

Scotland
    Whoa, wait.

He's 14, right? Well, DON'T look at him when you come charging in. At that age, he may be doing something you'd rather not witness. That slipped my mind earlier.
    Yeah, and if you capture him doing it on camera you might even get arrested.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I first saw Nightmare around that age and it never really scared me, either. I've been saying for years that it's actually a shit film and somehow people forgive it...