Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ad's blocking search?

Administrator

England

Question Ad's blocking search?

It's been brought to our attention that some users are possibly having problems with the new banner ad on the forums obstructing certain parts of the navigation bar. Eg: entertainment, search, user cp and other links.

We have tried to replicate this problem, which is the first step to remedy it, but we have been unable to, I've looked at this through every style available on the forums and using both firefox and internet explorer.

I would appreciate it if those having problems could provide us with more details, such as what style and what browser they are using.

Once i know exactly what's wrong, i can fix it.

Thanks.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm using IE and the Green style. Although today the search seems to be working. Looks like you may have already fixed it...

United States
    Firefox with the Ad Block Plus addon. You'll never see another website add again.

Super Moderator

United States
    I've had this problem before using firefox where the search menu 'drops down' behind the ad and I just went to replicate it for a screen shot and it didn't happen. The option was 'dropping down' in front of the ad this time.

If it happens again I'll try and remember to post a screen print.

Were changes already made to possibly rectify the issue?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pidemiC View Post
    Firefox with the Ad Block Plus addon. You'll never see another website add again.
    And this poor webmaster doesn't get a few cents a year

Go on... Disable it for this domain

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I've had this problem before using firefox where the search menu 'drops down' behind the ad and I just went to replicate it for a screen shot and it didn't happen. The option was 'dropping down' in front of the ad this time.

If it happens again I'll try and remember to post a screen print.

Were changes already made to possibly rectify the issue?
    Was it a specific add (eg: maybe for Descent 2 for example)? At the moment the only advert being shown is generally the MySpaceTV one... That will change shortly though...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I've had the same problem with the menu bar drop-downs coming down behind the ads.

(The ads in this case were for Wisconsin tourism)
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Was it a specific add (eg: maybe for Descent 2 for example)? At the moment the only advert being shown is generally the MySpaceTV one... That will change shortly though...
    Well, I actually had the problem several times, though it wasn't a big deal so I didn't pay much attention to which ads were involved. I do, however, have the distinct impression it was multiple ads.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Still have the banner ad for Wisconsin tourism/American Players Theatre dropping down EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. that a new page loads.

I swear, I'm trying to specificly NOT move the mouse arrow over it. Doesn't seem to make a difference. It's really frustrating. ('Specially since I like APT. Great theatre)

I use IE for my browser - is that the problem?
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    Read my response regarding Firefox.

Administrator

England
    Read my response regarding Firefox.
    A 90 pixel high area is too much to ask, in exchange for a bit of revenue for the site

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Still have the banner ad for Wisconsin tourism/American Players Theatre dropping down EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. that a new page loads.

I swear, I'm trying to specificly NOT move the mouse arrow over it. Doesn't seem to make a difference. It's really frustrating. ('Specially since I like APT. Great theatre)

I use IE for my browser - is that the problem?
    Can you send a screen shot to me? ie: Press "Print Screen" and email it to me neil{AT}homepageofthedead.com
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    How does me not seeing the ad cause the site the lose revenue? I wouldn't click on it anyways.

Administrator

England
    How does me not seeing the ad cause the site the lose revenue? I wouldn't click on it anyways.
    Because, it's all done on a per view basis

To those who say they're having problems, if it was instead at the very top of the foum, do you think that would solve your problems? eg: With it conflicting with the search?
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Time to do a HPOTD Fundraiser to get rid of ad's for the next year or so.

Come on people time to kick in for the site to be ad free.

$20 per person.

I of course get the program suggestion discount of $20 off.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Time to do a HPOTD Fundraiser to get rid of ad's for the next year or so.

Come on people time to kick in for the site to be ad free.

$20 per person.

I of course get the program suggestion discount of $20 off.
    In all seriousness, do the adverts really cause anyone any real headache?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    In all seriousness, do the adverts really cause anyone any real headache?
    at first they were irritating, now i not even notice they are there.