Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic 70s/80s ambient synth stuff...

Administrator

England

Classic 70s/80s ambient synth stuff...

I posted this on another forum this morning, but wondered if you guys had any thoughts/comments....

Just had my Squeezebox playing my "Electronic Abient" genre this morning, which includes all the classic ambient stuff from the glory days of ambient synth music. ie: When synth music was new and we had some amazing inventive music coming out.

I think some classic examples of this are:-

Jean Michel Jarre:-
    - Oxygene: How can synths from 1976 sound so amazing, and of course the music to this day still stands out as totally original and wonderful IMHO!
    - Equinoxe
    - Magnetic Fields

Kraftwerk
    - The Man Machine: An amazing album. How can a bass (Man Machine) sound so good in 1978!

Tangerine Dream
    - Exit
    - White Eagle
    - Poland

Edgar Froese
    - Pinnacles

Sometimes, when I hear some of this music, I travel back in time to sitting at my Commodore 64 or Amiga, programming away I'd always have this sort of stuff playing on my record player when doing that sort of thing!

Anyone else got such fond memories of this genre/era/time?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Green Desert is my favourite Tangerine Dream track. This version is heavily, HEAVILY edited down to fit within the YouTube 10 minute time restriction, the original track is nearly 20 minutes:

So atmospheric. You can feel the sun beating down upon the bleached plains...

Undisclosed
    Tangerine Dream is great.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I listen to this stuff while I'm writing my horror screenplay, and if I ever complete the movie, I intend to use it as a temp soundtrack during editing.

In fact, I used some TD to score a short video I made of me an a friend exploring some underground tunnels:

So atmospheric...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I listen to this stuff while I'm writing my horror screenplay, and if I ever complete the movie, I intend to use it as a temp soundtrack during editing.

In fact, I used some TD to score a short video I made of me an a friend exploring some underground tunnels:

So atmospheric...
    Beautiful track! "Remote Viewing" from "Exit" (see OP).

Another (quite famous) Tangerine Dream track...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Tangerine Dream is one of my favorites! I've got Poland, Force Majure, Stratosphere, and Phaedra all on vinyl. Perfect for any time I need to get some writing done.

Super Moderator

Germany
    I always liked Vangelis

This one is fave:

Dying

United States

Extended keyboard intro in that second one.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I always liked Vangelis

This one is fave:

Amazing track, if only how those same four notes in the bass line make up the entire song all the way through!

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post

Extended keyboard intro in that second one.
    Bit glam rock don't you think?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Bit glam rock don't you think?
    Shame on you. Neither Deep Purple nor Rainbow were anywhere near glam rock!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Shame on you. Neither Deep Purple nor Rainbow were anywhere near glam rock!
    Sorry, but electric guitars + real drums + silver outfits, doesn't equate to "classic ambient synth stuff" to me
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Sorry, but electric guitars + real drums + silver outfits, doesn't equate to "classic ambient synth stuff" to me
    You win there.

Super Moderator

Germany
    This is more performance art than ambient synth, but I love it nonetheless.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    This is more performance art than ambient synth, but I love it nonetheless.

Classic!
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Absolutely f***ing awesome 80's abient synth!

-Carl Sagan