Thread: Deadlands 2 goes back into editing - 05/18/2010

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Deadlands 2 goes back into editing - 05/18/2010

Ok, so we are inking the deal with the new distributor, and I was proofing Deadlands 2 to get it ready for Mastering when I decided I needed to re-cut some of the movie. For the next 4 weeks I will be re-shaping part of the film, but mostly swapping out shots.

During the meeting scene with Jim Krut, Philip Martin and Dave Cooperman, there were a few close-ups that really bothered me and at the time I wasn't totally sold on the wideshot footage, but in going through all the raw footage I found quite a few dolly shots I forgot I had and I am now in the process of re-cutting that entire scene.

I also re-shaped part of the opening, swapping out shots and making the cuts between angles more consistent. I also slowed the opening down a bit to give it more hopeless feel.

The opening meeting between Jim and the other government folks I re-cut the entire sequence and dumped all of the static shots, but one and replaced them with all dolly shots. In all I have re-cut about 11 minutes of the movie

I have also re-color corrected all of the footage up to the 11 minute mark so it is more in line with what i feel a zombie film should look like.

Right now, with the 11 minutes of the movie re-cut it is actually 53 seconds longer than it was before. I estimating by the time I am done with the re-edit the film will probably run exactly 89 minutes without the Helena, Hussy of Horror Intro.

Speaking of Helena, I have removed her intro from the film entirely, but she isn't gone forever. The new distributor has agreed to make Helena and Option you can choose when watching the movie.

New Special Features:

I am going to record a brand new commentary
    I am also waiting to hear from Jim about interviewing him for the DVD.
    Trailers from the flick will be included on the DVD release this time.

Also, the new distributor will be releasing a Deadlands 2 Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - More on that later.

As I make changes to the film I will update this thread accordingly.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Gary's turning into George Lucas on us, folks. Next he'll be adding in a friendly CGI character named Yo-Yo.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Gary's turning into George Lucas on us, folks. Next he'll be adding in a friendly CGI character named Yo-Yo.
    Uh-oh, Meesa tinky dat the zombies is Bombad!

Ah! Dey is eatin me now, okeeday!!

Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Damn Gary, another re-edit?!

All sounds groovy though ... but damn ... how many re-edits has DL2 had? I knew it was bollocks when you said you'd finished DL2.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This is only the fourth time I have re-edited it since the work print. As a filmmaker I am sure you can relate in that there is always something that bugs you after you finish and you try and think of ways to fix it with the available tools you have.... well I am doing just that.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    This is only the fourth time I have re-edited it since the work print. As a filmmaker I am sure you can relate in that there is always something that bugs you after you finish and you try and think of ways to fix it with the available tools you have.... well I am doing just that.
    Although I generally just leave it be and seek to bring in the improvements learned on the next project - but then we're up to different projects. DL2 is a feature zombie film, and I'm always making shorts, educational films and arts council type things at the moment.

Hopefully I get to make a feature some day soon, but I can tell you one thing - I won't be the one editing it!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Although I generally just leave it be and seek to bring in the improvements learned on the next project - but then we're up to different projects. DL2 is a feature zombie film, and I'm always making shorts, educational films and arts council type things at the moment.

Hopefully I get to make a feature some day soon, but I can tell you one thing - I won't be the one editing it!
    Yeah I am trying to pass off editing duties for Deadlands 3. Just too much on my plate to handle editing, but then again, I am also a control freak so who knows.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    UPDATE:

Deadlands 2 re-edit is complete!
    The color correction 55% complete, should be finished tonight.
    Sound Mix on Friday night and Saturday Night
    Test Run at Home Sunday Morning, Audience Test Run 11:30pm Sunday night in Baltimore.

Deadlands 2's new official Running Time:

With Helena, Hussy of Horror Intro 87:15
    Without Helena: 84:00 (making it 2 minutes longer than the original release, and 90 seconds longer than the HD DVD release)

Never before seen footage added into the film: 75 seconds worth

Re-cuts to existing scenes (12 scenes re-cut)

Sound Mix: 2.0 Dolby Digital and 5.1 Dolby Digital (Anyone wanna fork up the $120.00 for the DTS Plug-in?... LOU... LOU... Hey LOU)

Doing a brand new interview with Jim Krut this weekend to add to the special features. Lou and I will do a new commentary in the next week.

2010 Release Date: 10/19/2010

Box Title:
    DEADLANDS 2: TRAPPED
    EXTENDED UNRATED DIRECTORS CUT
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Sound Mix: 2.0 Dolby Digital and 5.1 Dolby Digital (Anyone wanna fork up the $120.00 for the DTS Plug-in?... LOU... LOU... Hey LOU)
    $125 my ass... (oops, did I just say that out loud?! )

If I would be paying $125 for the plugin, I'd wanna do the DTS mix, so unless you think you can let go of the reigns for that one, I think we're gonna have to pass on DTS this time around.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    $125 my ass... (oops, did I just say that out loud?! )

If I would be paying $125 for the plugin, I'd wanna do the DTS mix, so unless you think you can let go of the reigns for that one, I think we're gonna have to pass on DTS this time around.
    You wanna do DTS I will let you do the mix. =)

We can call it the

LOUCIPHERR BLOW YOUR EAR DRUMS OUT - DTS 5.1 - THE EXTREME MIX

Have a picture of you or your son with their hair in the air and G force wrinkles as a marketing logo.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    I'd be like Grandpa in the Simpsons THX logos/commericals.. "TURN IT UP!"

Dude, you do not even have the time for me to attempt a DTS mix of DL2. While I would LOVE to do it, as Jack Bauer would say "THERE'S NO TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 28-May-2010 at 02:02 PM.