Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I hate Organized Profession Sports

United States
    I think it also has a lot to do with hometown pride. Everyone likes to root for the team that represents their city or state. It makes you feel good to know that your team is doing well at the national level.

Also, I think an exception to the blanket rule about owners applies somewhat to Mike Illitch, the owner of the Detroit Red Wings and Tigers. He is a Detroit native who has done a lot for not only those great franchises but the city as well. He also owns Little Ceasars so...come'on.

Go Wings!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    Ahhh....Just like in Star Trek Deep Space Nine "The Story Teller" Season 1 episode 14
    Where O'Brien has to take on the role of a Sirah....

Yea...so not rational...but socially valuable...
    *grumbles*
    Damn humans
    Yes, that is an excellent example of the principle. And leave it to DS9 to create the gayest possible support for my argument.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    To be honest, neither Pats nor Genos are all that good. They're just tourist traps. Once you see them in person you'll understand why (picture the neon lights of the Las Vegas strip).
    Ouch, that's harsh. Actually, my one visit to Philadelphia (which was earlier this year) I did try both Pat's and Geno's. So I know what you're talking about re: neon lights (at least with respect to Geno's). Both were good but not as amazing as I had been hyped up to expect. So I was wondering if there was someplace else I should try. Next time I'll see if I can go to Jim's.

On the same topic: provolone or whiz?
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    A way better spot would be Jim's Steaks, on the corner of 4th & South.
    Well, you're right. I went to both Pat's and Geno's the first time. Couple weeks ago I went to Jim's while passing through Philly again. It was better than both of the others. Next you'll have to recommend a place in Jersey for me.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Sports act as a surrogate form of tribal warfare. In our modern era there are societal prohibitions on killing and maiming your enemy. Thus the popularity of team sports, to give the masses a "healthy" outlet for their pent up aggressions.

Why are they so popular? Fans sit in the stands or watch TV in safety. Yet their view allows them to project themselves into the conflict on the court or field.

Now that ticket prices are $200 per seat for live events, cable networks are increasingly turning to pay per view to extract capital from home television fans.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Well, you're right. I went to both Pat's and Geno's the first time. Couple weeks ago I went to Jim's while passing through Philly again. It was better than both of the others. Next you'll have to recommend a place in Jersey for me.
    Definitely! It's kind of tough right now because so many of the [formerly] great South Jersey places have recently gone under new management so I'm still trying to get my bearings straight on what's gonna be my new "go-to" place for cheesesteaks. The place a block from my house WAS voted #1 Philly Cheesesteak by multiple reputable sources from 2004-2009, but recently switched over owners and has completely lost its appeal to me.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Sports act as a surrogate form of tribal warfare. In our modern era there are societal prohibitions on killing and maiming your enemy.
    I'm waiting for Death Race before I'll follow any organized sports. They said it would be out in the year 2000. I'm still waiting.

Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Sports act as a surrogate form of tribal warfare. In our modern era there are societal prohibitions on killing and maiming your enemy. Thus the popularity of team sports, to give the masses a "healthy" outlet for their pent up aggressions.
    This is the truth. Sport was invented as a replacement for war and even in modern times people go through ritualized socializing behavior just to get rid of agression. I was with my nephew on a local football event and it was huge flags, people marching, chanting and uniforms everywhere. It was quite the spectacle, it looked like a naziparade from old documentaries. So as you might understand the fact that each team changes players often and has little regional value is a good thing not bad.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    sports and even more to the point, exercise have their places in life. forget pro sports for a bit. i am a big believer in people being involved in some sort of physical activity (i know that i have joked in the past about it, but i actually exercise regularly). the fact that there are so many disgusting fat people in our country, whose number is growing daily, is one reason to encourage EVERYONE to take part in either a sport or some form of physical activity. i prefer hiking and kayaking. there are a myriad of ways to get yourself up and outside.

if there is a doom on this country it will not be wrought by politicians nor by democrats, republicans, communists, or neo-nazis. it will be the fault of fat people sitting in front of video games. don't cry just yet, video games have their place but like everything else in life, moderation is the key.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

United States
    Professional sports is a whorehouse where the revolutionary ideals of your forefathers have been corrupted and sold on the back alleys of capitalism!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Professional sports is a whorehouse where the revolutionary ideals of your forefathers have been corrupted and sold on the back alleys of capitalism!
    impressive. you might have a future as a demagogue.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    impressive. you might have a future as a demagogue.
    I only aspire to being on the right side of the barbed wire and holding a swagger stick

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    "My name is Alexei Yuri Gagarin Siege of Stalingrad Glorious Five Year Plan Sputnik Tractor Moscow Dynamo Back Four Balowski. Me Dad was a bit of a Communist, know what I mean?"

Those aren't real problems, Sam.