Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ouija Board Experiences

Administrator

England
    I love stuff like this! I really just cannot believe in any of this supernatural stuff, but then you get clearly average/intelligent folk saying they've seemingly seen convincing stuff... So what's happening?!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    I played with one once and this guy came to live with me:

He's always appearing in a flash and upto all kinds of mischief. At least he pays rent on time and cleans up after himself.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think you have more of a chance to hear a short bald man telling you to go to jail while playing Monopoly....

Undisclosed
    *chants*
    In*Fra*Sound
    In*Fra*Sound
    In*Fra*Sound

On a slightly related note.

Do you know how many times as a young child I tried to sell my soul for various "powers"?
    The answer is lots of times. (Stopped sometime around 2nd-3rd grade)

For some reason Catholic School did not have the same effect on me as a kid as it did most other kids.
    The eternal damnation and various scare tactics used on us kids if anything had the opposite desired effect on me.

I suppose though, I responded to this perceived threat of punishment and authority in much the same way I did to real threats of punishment and authority....with spiteful or vindictive actions....the more the punishment escalated the more spiteful and/or vindictive I became.....

Hmm this makes me want to start a new unrelated thread....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    Hmm this makes me want to start a new unrelated thread....
    Yeh!!! Start one about badgers! That's pretty unrelated!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    nope, even growing up i knew there was no such thing as ghosts or spirits.
    No you didn't. You think that you know the answer, but in all honesty, you cannot be 100% certain of something like this. Can you not believe in Spirits and ghosts and devils and demons, and angels, and all of that supernatual stuff? Of course. But, can you absolutely know with 100% certainty that these things do not exist? Nope.

There is a big difference in believing in something, and knowing something as fact.

I personally believe in an afterlife of some kind, of ghosts and spirits, and angels and demons, but I really can't be 100% sure that what I believe in is completely factual, as ultimately, I can't outright prove or disprove of the existence of supernatural phenomena. As Terran pointed out, there are completely reasonable, scientific explanations that could be attributed to strange occurrences, but as he also said, he can't be 100% certain that Infrasound is the correct answer.
    Last edited by mista_mo; 19-May-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    No you didn't. N You think that you know the answer, but in all honesty, you cannot be 100% certain of something like this. Can you not believe in Spirits and ghosts and devils and demons, and angels, and all of that supernatual stuff? Of course. But, can you absolutely know with 100% certainty that these things do not exist?
    I associate it with the same certainty that monkeys won't fly out of my butt and that my hand won't spontaneously fuse with my keyboard (there is actually a remote possibility but soooooooooo remote that I am pretty damn confident it won't happen). There are things so unlikely that to entertain them is an exercise for entertainment purposes at best and life wasting at worst.

Undisclosed
    Oh....I also have a pseudo scientific explanation for ghosts that is not Infrasound related....
    It would be a usable explanation for every ghost story I have ever heard of. (Additionally if taken to further extremes it could be used to explain various life after death stories and ghosts helping people stories but this is another matter altogether)

This explanation is best suited to address "group visions" and, to coin a phrase, "Mug shot visions".
    The explanation will follow how I am defining this visions.

Group Visions examples:
    1)A bunch of people independently witness the same figure or entity and the descriptions match.
    2)A bunch of people collectively witness the figure or entity

"Mug Shot Visions"
    Visions of a particular recognizable entity.
    Example (need a hypothetical story to demonstrate): This is a story that i just made up I put in quotes because its similar to many other stories.
    You arrive at a woman acquaintance's house. As you approach the house you notice a man working on a car in the driveway. You try to greet the person, but they are either entirely unresponsive or cryptic in their responses (their responses are awkwardly if at all related to your comments/questions).
    Feeling uncomfortable about this interaction you proceed to the front door and are invited in.
    You see a picture of that same man on the mantle and ask "Oh is that your husband? I ran into him on the way in. He seemed preoccupied with his car."
    The woman's face whitens and then bursts into tears crying "My husband has been dead for 5 years....He loved that damn car!"...Que on creepy music and unsettling feelings.
    So I coined the term "Mug Shot Visions" because the vision, and the associated event/interaction was so realistic that afterthefact encounters with a picture/video generates the response "Hey, its that guy/girl. We just met a couple minutes ago". Kindof like a mugshot.

Caveats to my "rational" explanation of such visions:

1)This explanation is completely pseudo scientific.
    2)This explanation holds no true scientific value.
    3)Some of the scientific principles associated with this explanation are extrapolations of mathematical inventions created to connect certain natural phenomenon together.
    4)There is no particularly compelling evidence connecting these natural phenomenons in question(At least currently).
    5)This explanation is only rational if the pseudo scientific assumptions are true.

Simply put I just like this explanation, because it removes the supernatural explanation, while reinforcing a scientific hypothesis that I would really like to be a true representation of the Universe (or Multiverse for that matter).

Okay here is the "nitty gritty" explanation in two sentences the rest will just be explanatory fluff.
    (again remember the caveat)
    There is no such thing as "ghosts" in terms of its historic and contemporary definition/understanding. These and other associated phenomenon are actually acute disruptions in space time where our universe temporarily merges or overlaps with another universe within the multiverse.

Explanatory fluff time:
    The multiverse (or meta-universe, metaverse) is the hypothetical set of multiple possible universes (including our universe) that together comprise everything that physically exists: the entirety of space and time, all forms of matter, energy and momentum, and the physical laws and constants that govern them. The various universes within the multiverse are sometimes called parallel universes.
    Additional pseudo science explanatory stuff:

Under these assumptions there would be an infinite number of Universes. There would be an infinite number of Universes with you/I in them and an infinite number of Universes without you/I.
    Even an infinite amount of Universes that possessed or suddenly acquired* completely different physical characteristics that we attribute to our natural world.
    There could even be Universes that spontaneous come into existence at a particular moment in time with all the attributes our universe has, lifeforms and planetary bodies alike, last a few seconds and just as spontaneously unremarkablely cease to exist as it is absorbed into something else within the multiverse.
    Perhaps less interestingly to some there could be an infinite number of universes in which the subatomic molecular forces are drastically different than those in our universe. The effect would be that Matter as we know it would not exist and this universe could be composed just entirely of non-interacting sub atomic particles or these sub atomic particles would interact to form a substances with "unimaginable" characteristics.

* Generally these infinite Universes would interact with each at the Subatomic level. However various disruptions of space time could cause overlapping of universes in a fashion that is perceivable to human sensory input.

The possibilities are literally endless.

So seeing a ghost or witnessing some "supernatural" event would actually be considered a natural event in the context of the Meta-Universe and its corollary infinite universes interacting.

The best part of this idea, at least from the perspective of its legitimacy, is that if its true we should essentially be able to measure these phenomenon.
    If true it would quite literally be an explanation for EVERYTHING.
    Additionally, by definition, if one can measure something one can manipulate or harness the phenomenon being measured.

He-man and his friends are so primitive "Masters of the Universe" indeed.

As a species we will become "Masters of the Multiverse".

So impress you friends and loved ones. The next time you have a "super natural" occurrence go to them and say with great enthusiasm.

"Holy crap! I just experienced an acute disruption in space time!"

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

United States
    Wait, wait...

I'm not saying that we summoned Captain Howdy on the ouija board and he got pissed off so he broke our mirrors. If anything, it could potentially be chalked up to coincidence -- or potentially "Infrasound" as Terran pointed out for the reason the events happened as they did. It's possible that it was sheer coincidence/happenstance. It's probably likely. However, there can be no good to playing around with an object that is primarily used for attempting to contact spirits.

What happened did happen (Ned -- thanks for sticking your head out from your writings by Marx long enough to think up some uber-witty retort to the events that took place ). I don't say with 100% confidence that it was an unnatural (I hate the term 'supernatural') event, but it is a freaky event that did take place. I figured it would at least be worth a good story to share here regarding what I personally believe to be a doorway that shouldn't be touched.

As far as the whole issue of whether spirits/demons/angels really exist, I'm not getting into that pointless circular argument again. People either choose to believe or not to believe. I choose to believe just as some people choose not to believe.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Above Post
    Since you likely were typing as I posted see my response right before yours.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    not for me, I believe in it about as much as Micheal Jackson's innocence...

something about beating a dead horse.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    something about beating a dead horse.....
    I would have went with innocent until proven guilty but that works too.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    However, there can be no good to playing around with an object that is primarily used for attempting to contact spirits.
    Wait, wait, wait. How do you know that a Oujia board is mainly used for contacting spirits? For me, a Ouija board's main purpose is to bullshit people and make people believe if they want too. And while I agree that playing around with a Ouija board is bad news in the first place, I do believe it is for all the wrong reasons. It's bad because it makes people think that spirits are real, or that ghosts exist. Funny that they should only show themselves once you bring out the massproduced happy-fun-time board game...

What, are spirits deaf? Can't I just ask them out loud "Hey, dude, are you there?" and they answer "Yeah sure" or whatever. Or write it. On the wall. With blood. Or just on a post-it note and stick it in my face. The possibilites for spirits to actually hear and answer me are abundant. But, noooo. Spirits settle for nothing less than finest plastic boards from the Parker Brothers! Infact, it's a well known fact that the Parker Brothers struck a deal with ghosts, and cut them in on the revenue if they'll only answer to their board game.

Oh, come on people, it's the 21st century. Spiritualism was a hot topic 200 years ago, and even then people simply admitted to faking it.

Interesting how all this stuff always happens to friends of friends or stuff like that. Think about it, you people. Of all the stuff you heard, there's two different versions:

If it happened to you, or a close friend of yours, then it's kinda tame and somewhat reasonable. A broken mirror (or two) can be explained by infrasound, as Terran said. Still creepy, of course.

But an invisible old man (only visible to you) and the like that cannot be explained by any technology or science we know off... That's just batshit crazy. This is why this kind of stuff never ever happens to you personally. It's always a friend of a friend. Or someone else.

(Ned -- thanks for sticking your head out from your writings by Marx long enough to think up some uber-witty retort to the events that took place )
    Oh, you give me too much credit. I was paraphrasing Lenin.

Super Moderator

United States
    Everyone who leans towards any given way of thought with any sense of surety looks for dogma, teachings, belief structures and--most importantly--company along their path to back them up. That's why scientists are so pointy-headed, converts are so full of hellfire and drunks on the wagon are so apt to point out everyone else has a drinking problem "too".

"There is more religion in men's science than there is science in their religion."

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

^ See what I did there?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I've heard that before, and it's a poor man's defence. Doesn't really work that way. If you can prove it or at least theorize it in a logical sense, then it can be accepted. If you cannot, then suit yourself but I'm just gonna use my civil liberties and go ahead and doubt ghosts. Yeah, I'm so crazy, I know, but hey.