Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ouija Board Experiences

Twitching

United States
    ::shrugs::
    Guess we've exhausted the subject. I'm still where I was when we started, and now we're recycling positions.

Will say this. It's a different world entirely once you get smacked in the face with the supernatural. Not one "mundane" experience in my life has ever been so real as ironically an experience few believe is what I know it was.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    On a sheer philosophical level,
    I find the idea of a universe that's even .1% understood by a species as primitive and flawed as humanity repugnant in the extreme.
    What makes you think that humans level of understanding is so small?

People often say things like this...
    "Science hasnt explained the mysteries of existence"
    or you statement in nutshell.
    "Its silly for humanity profess an understanding of the universe when we know so little"
    etc etc...

These statements resonate with people...people say them...and others nod thinking in awe of the magical reality of everything.
    "We know next to nothing the universe"
    What frustratingly hilarious about the statement is the following
    They seem to have no idea what is already known.
    They seem to have no idea what is not known.
    There presupposes their perceptive reality to generate invalid questions,statements and conclusions.

Next time someone states:
    "We know next to nothing the universe"
    Ill Respond
    "I know!! Does the Higgs particle exist?! What are the implications if it does not!?"

or If someone say:
    "Science hasnt explained the mysteries of existence"
    Ill respond
    "Yeah those bozos just can seem to figure out if a fully consistent quantum field theory would require a force mediated by a hypothetical graviton, or be a product of a discrete structure of spacetime itself (as in loop quantum gravity)."

Hmm I think I like that one.

Come on! only .1% understood in 2010,,,,
    Hell, think of Isaac Newtons.
    First Law: In the absence of a net force, the center of mass of a body either is at rest or moves at a constant velocity. This means that an object at rest tends to stay at rest, or if it is in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by a sum of physical forces
    Second Law: A body experiencing a force F experiences an acceleration a related to F by F = ma, where m is the mass of the body. This means that an object will accelerate with acceleration proportional to the force and inversely proportional to the mass. Alternatively, force is equal to the time derivative of momentum.
    Third Law: Whenever a first body exerts a force F on a second body, the second body exerts a force −F on the first body. F and −F are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This means that for every action there is a reaction equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This law is sometimes referred to as the action-reaction law.
    This may seem relatively mundane but this is the mathematical foundation for classical mechanics.
    Classical mechanics is one of the two major sub-fields of study in the science of mechanics, which is concerned with the set of physical laws governing and mathematically describing the motions of bodies and aggregates of bodies geometrically distributed within a certain boundary under the action of a system of forces.
    Classical mechanics is used for describing the motion of macroscopic objects, from projectiles to parts of machinery, as well as astronomical objects, such as spacecraft, planets, stars, and galaxies.
    He also is responsible for Newton's law of universal gravitation
    Newton's law of universal gravitation states that every massive particle in the universe attracts every other massive particle with a force which is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Represented by:
    Also he additionally he invented "Calculus"(Infinitesimal calculus).
    It consisted of differential calculus and integral calculus, used for the techniques of differentiation and integration respectively.
    Using these laws in addition to his calculus he was able to explain Kepler's laws of planetary motion
    Kepler's laws are concerned with the motion of the planets around the Sun. Newton's laws of motion in general are concerned with the motion of objects subject to impressed forces. Newton's law of universal gravitation describes how masses attract each other through the force of gravity. Using the law of gravitation to determine the impressed forces in Newton's laws of motion enables the calculation of planetary orbits
    He accomplished this the late 1600s!
    These Laws are still valid today however with new discoveries it was discovered that Newton's Laws, while true, were describing too specific of phenomenon to satisfy physicist's desire to explain the nature of "everything"

In modern physics, the laws of conservation of momentum, energy, and angular momentum since they apply to both light and matter, and to both classical and non-classical physics.
    The significance of these laws cant be overstated enough.
    The law of conservation of energy is an empirical law of physics. It states that the total amount of energy in an isolated system remains constant over time. A consequence of this law is that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be transformed from one state to another.
    We have Quantum Mechanics!
    Quantum mechanics (QM) is a branch of physics describing the behavior of energy and matter at the atomic and subatomic scales.
    We have Quantum electrodynamics
    Quantum electrodynamics (QED) is the relativistic quantum field theory of electrodynamics. QED was developed by a number of physicists, beginning in the late 1920s. It basically describes how light and matter interact. QED mathematically describes all phenomena involving electrically charged particles interacting by means of exchange of photons.
    We have Albert Einstein's theory of relativity
    Which unifies special relativity and Newton's law of universal gravitation, and describes gravity as a geometric property of space and time, or spacetime. In particular, the curvature of spacetime is directly related to the four-momentum (mass-energy and linear momentum) of whatever matter and radiation are present. The relation is specified by the Einstein field equations, a system of partial differential equations.
    Albert Einstein's theory of relativity shows that energy and mass are the same thing, and that neither one appears without the other.

And now we have the Hadron Collider.
    The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and highest-energy particle accelerator, a synchrotron intended to collide opposing particle beams of either protons at an energy of 7 trillion electronvolts per particle, or lead nuclei at an energy of 574 TeV per nucleus. The term hadron refers to particles composed of quarks. It is expected that it will address the most fundamental questions of physics, advancing our understanding of the deepest laws of nature.

I find the idea of a universe that's even .1% understood by a species as primitive and flawed as humanity repugnant in the extreme.

I mean really you think that we understand less than .1% of the Universe.

The List of unsolved problems in physics is tiny in comparison to what we know and the Large Hadron Collider seems prepped and ready to answer some of them.

I just happen to have first-hand experience that *some form* of malevolent incorporeal entity exists.

What I saw was a free-standing black "anti-light" quasi-humanoid/quasi-gaseous formed apparition for well over a minute, standing where no shadow could possibly be. I
    The description of you experience does seem striking similar to Infra sound hallucinations.

Listen to these two stories:
    Vic Tandy was working as an engineering designer at for a company that produced medical equipment at that time. The Warwick laboratory he was working at supposedly haunted.
    Then one night, while working alone, Vic Tandy saw a grey apparition appear, which moved as Vic Tandy described as "how a person is expected to move".
    On the following day, Vic Tandy was working on a fencing foil blade held in a vice when it started the free end of the blade started vibrating up and down strongly. Vic Tandy then moved the blade and found out that the blade vibrated the strongest when it was in the middle of the room, and stopped altogether when the blade reached the far end of the room.

It turned out that there was a low frequency standing wave in the “haunted” laboratory, thanks to an extraction fan. Since the wave peaked in the centre of the room, it means that there was half a complete cycle in the room. In other words, the length of the lab was just right enough for the sound wave to be reflected at each end, and thus creating a standing wave. After some calculations, Vic Tandy came to the conclusion that the wave in question had a frequency 18.93 Hz.
    Vic Tandy then continued his research on infrasound by investigating a “haunted cellar” below the Tourist Information Centre near Coventry University.
    Many anecdotes were present about paranormal experiences that happened in this cellar, including a woman who claimed that there was an apparition blocking her way into the cellar, white witches “making contact” with the spirits inside, and many more.

A sound level meter was used to measure whether the hypothesis that infrasound was the cause the experiences, and it detected high levels of 19Hz infrasound present, which fits nicely with Vic Tandy’s earlier hypothesis.
    There are varying degrees of hallucinations. They are perfectly capable of seeming completely real. A infrasound hallucination is not a trick. Its not shadows playing tricks with you.
    The vibrations from the sound are probably exciting particular neurons in your brain....Like having a dream while your still awake with your eyes open.
    Last edited by Terran; 21-May-2010 at 04:00 AM.

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Primitive compared to what? Cats? Compared to every species we know off, Humans are the most advanced there is in terms of understanding the universe. I'd say we're the best equipped and best endowed species around for just this sort of thing. Some people are stupid, for sure and sometimes we do stupid things. But we're definetly not primitive.

People don't abandon homes including all personal possessions because they refuse to even enter the house for 5-10 minutes with company in broad daylight because of tricks of the light or sound waves.
    Yes they do. You just called us primitive and flawed, remember?

Northern Ireland
    I've used a Ouija board 3 times, in 3 different places at 13/16/19 years old (roughly!) and nothing has happened.

I'm a skeptic when it comes to the supernatural; I've had some scary, unexplainable things happen, but I'm not quite willing to jump onto the "ghosts are real" bandwagon.

Twitching

United States
    Oh c'mon,
    You're honestly going to make the argument that we've grasped a significant portion of scientific principles in operation throughout the universe?

Where's the Unified Field Theory? Why can't we do more than guess at what order the Fundamental Forces separated (beyond knowing Gravity broke off first) in the time immediately after Inflation took over?

Where does the unaccounted-for mass swallowed by a black hole end up? Do wormholes exist, and if so how can we define their properties? Tachyons seem at certain junctures to exceed the speed of light. Is this in fact the case, or is spacetime being dynamically warped to create the illusion that they are?

How many dimensions are there, for certain? In what ways do they interact, and what if anything can we derive of value from those beyond the 4 we operate within?

Here's an easy one. How should we go about the development of the infrastructure, the required innovations in the practical applications of efficient energy production & storage, and the necessary social engineering to bring our civilization within striking distance of becoming a Type 1 Civilization?

In fact, I need proceed no further than the first four Civilization Types to demonstrate the gulf between what we understand/are capable of, and what remains to be discovered.

We aren't even close to utilizing 100% of our star's energy output!

For a member of a Type 0 civilization, I believe you overestimate the humble beginnings of scientific inquiry by our species.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Oh c'mon,
    You're honestly going to make the argument that we've grasped a significant portion of scientific principles in operation throughout the universe?
    Actually, I already believe we did.

We don't know everything. We don't know it all. But we know alot. We know a hell of a lot. All of the things you mentioned all have theories attached to them. Nothing conclusive, nothing scientific yet. We're aware of our own limitations and we try to expand our understanding of the universe.

If that doesn't count for something, then nothing does.

Twitching

United States
    Ned,
    By your own prior arguments, inquiry without currently tangible results are absolutely worthless.

It can't be one way for the unproven theories of scientific endeavor and another for the field of paranormal inquiry.

So for the record: That's a no then. We don't know any of the 7-8 things I chose off the top of my head.

My God man, we've surveyed less than 1% of our own ocean bottom, and only 2.8-3.1% of the visible night sky.

It's absolutely ASTOUNDING to me that anyone could claim humanity has unlocked the bulk of the universe's secrets after a mere 250-350 years.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Let's get more basic and practical,
    EvilNed has put forward that owing to humanity having theories about a variety of phenomena, we're much closer to completely understanding the workings of the universe than not.

Just a few things mankind desperately needs and hasn't figured out yet:

Clean/Abundant energy production, independent of the vagaries of weather (Ie: No wind where we have wind power, overcast skies where we have solar panels)

Multi-Strain Vaccines & Universally effective Anti-viral medication. (Let's call this the equivalent of Penicillin for the Virus)

Commercially viable potatoes (yes, potatoes) with extremely high resistance to Fungi.

This is pretty basic. We're talking about the natural progression from prehistory on into the future here. Humanity learned to control fire only several thousand years ago. We still haven't reached a point where we can easily feed our entire population, prevent tens of millions of deaths from disease annually, or learned to power our industries with anything besides limited deposits of fossil fuels and the even rarer uranium.

In fact, I can't think of ONE of the basic survival needs we can be said to have completely mastered. Shelter? Nope. 1/6th our total population is homeless. Water? Nope. Even in the "first world" groundwater supplies are being consumed far faster than rainfall can replenish. We won't go into the less developed nations on this one. Food? Again, No. Even the best efforts of the developed nations are unable to stamp out widespread famine.

In fact, the only one of the basic needs we can be said to have met on a widespread, long-term scale is Defense. Obvious problems here too, but it's where we come nearest the mark as a species.

How can we be deemed "advanced" by any but the exclusionary observation that we are the only developed, tool-using species we know exists?

Now, if someone had instead asked me what I thought of the rate of progress since the beginning of the Enlightenment, I would have had nothing but praise for Man.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Now, if someone had instead asked me what I thought of the rate of progress since the beginning of the Enlightenment, I would have had nothing but praise for Man.

So... what do you think of the rate of progress since the beginning of the Enlightenment?

Well, someone had to ask.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Ned,
    By your own prior arguments, inquiry without currently tangible results are absolutely worthless.

It can't be one way for the unproven theories of scientific endeavor and another for the field of paranormal inquiry.

So for the record: That's a no then. We don't know any of the 7-8 things I chose off the top of my head.

My God man, we've surveyed less than 1% of our own ocean bottom, and only 2.8-3.1% of the visible night sky.

It's absolutely ASTOUNDING to me that anyone could claim humanity has unlocked the bulk of the universe's secrets after a mere 250-350 years.
    You seem to assume every location in the universe is completely special and unique. When honestly you can take a square cube of space in any location and the same physical laws will apply. Your explaining your opinion and its coming off like we need to see everything literally but we dont as long as we can explain it. nobodies seen saturn well enough without machinery but we still know that its mass and density could allow the entire planet to float on water that is subject to the effects like gravity on earth. how do we know this? because everything is made of the same material, it follows the same laws. in extreme cases these laws can bend, there can be materials out there we have yet undiscovered but we are mind boggling advanced animal in terms of one species on a single planet made up of up to 100 million species and we have advanced scientifically enough that we can say this is 1, this is zero. hot and cold. action and reaction and inaction. motion and standing states.

I am incredibly simplifying this but in the news yesterday we had announcements about artificial life, being able to detect a star eating one of its planets light years away and that another star will drift towards our system in 10,000 years.
    It is incredibly nihilistic to assume we are just these stupid apes which are just figuring out how to kill ourselves in new ways or something. Every day we argue about land vs diary or some such shit on here whilst there are people constantly out there figuring out how things work and how they apply to existence, not just our little blue rock.
    Last edited by Danny; 21-May-2010 at 06:26 PM.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Science has never claimed to have unlocked more than a small fraction of the universe's secrets. And it never will, since pushing back that "known/unknown" barrier is what keeps most scientists in a job!

That is not the question here. No one can seriously deny that there is a lot out there that we, as a species, do not understand.

The question is whether, given all possible evidence and laying aside all prejudice and bias, there is anything about claims of ghostly encounters that actually cannot be explained within known science? Just because the "unknown" is there doesn't mean we should turn to it first for an explanation. Do we actually need to go into the realms of the unknown for an explanation, or is it just that most people tend to unevenly favour mystical explantions in such cases?

And if there is something genuinely unknown happening in even a tiny minority of cases, whether it be psychological or (meta)physically real, how can we be sure we don't let sentimentality and thousands of years of anthropocentric legend and wooley superstition cloud our scientific investigation of the phenomena.

United States
    Haven't tinkered with the Ouiji board since I was a youngster...nothing happened...NOTHING...the palette (or whatever it is called) didn't even move.

However, something quite strange did happen here a couple of weeks ago...

I work second shift so I'm often up until the wee hours. The family is asleep when I get home, so I usually spend a couple of hours surfing the 'net, writing, or whatever. The other night my wife came down stairs to my office in the basement and DEMANDED that I stop the pounding noises before I woke the kids up...huh?

She thought that I was working on something at my workbench (my office doubles as a shop of sorts). I was not. I was sitting quietly at my desk. She asked what the hell was it that I was hammering on...I told her 'nothing'.

She went back upstairs and had no sooner reached the livingroom, when she called me up. So, I go upstairs...and I heard it.

thumpthumpthump...thump...real gently, softly.

We have hard wood floors and it was coming from directly below...in the basement where I had just been, but in another section opposite my office.

thumpthumpthump...thump

I figured that one of our cats had gotten up between the floorboards and the drop ceiling downstairs as they often do; however, both cats were upstairs and in plain sight. Our Tom, in fact, was squatting in the middle of the livingroom with his ears flat against his head acting like he was freaked.

thumpthumpthump...thump

I then thought that maybe a squirrel, or some other critter had gotten into the basement and was up in the ceiling, so I tore ass back downstairs, grabbed my MagLite and a step stool and started popping ceiling tiles directly below the spot where we had heard the thumping...nothing was there...nada...hell, that end of the basement is basically void of anything...no water pipes (my next logical assumption)...nothing...just cross beams...

I could not find the source of the thumping...it stopped when I went back downstairs.

My wife and my kids have all told me that 'weird' things happen at times in this old house, but that was the first time I've experienced it. I'm not ready to conclude that it was anything supernatural, but I can't explain it logically either.

I've since checked the house's foundation for holes that a raccoon might have entered, but there are none. The foundation is solid. There are no pipes or utility lines in that part of the basement. It was not one of the cats. The woodwork is in place and secure.

I do not know what went 'thumpthumpthump...thump' below my feet that night, but if I catch it, I'm going to kill it.

-stray-

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Ned,
    Not if one tries to prove it with scientific means, and draws logical and analytic conclusions. Infact, if you go back, you'll see that's exactly what I've been saying. But interesting interpretation of my previous posts.

No, we don't know them. We don't know that gravity exists either. Or that evolution works. But there's strong evidence to support both. Unlike, say, ghosts.

How can we be deemed "advanced" by any but the exclusionary observation that we are the only developed, tool-using species we know exists?
    How can we not be? You say we're not advanced because we don't have the most advanced medicine possible, we can't feed everyone, we can't provide shelter for everyone. These are social problems, and really is not relevant to wether ghosts exist.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by strayrider View Post

I do not know what went 'thumpthumpthump...thump' below my feet that night, but if I catch it, I'm going to kill it.

-stray-
    And couldn't have been wood expanding/contracting and knocking?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    And couldn't have been wood expanding/contracting and knocking?
    I certainly would not rule that out as an explanation, but it didn't seem to me to be that. It was a set pattern of knocks...three...pause...then another, spaced out over a minute or so. Knock on your desktop, allowing the weight of your hand to determine the force of the knock. This approximates the sound that I heard.

Three knocks, pause for a second, then one more. The pattern repeated several times with 15 or 20 seconds between each. It was like there was an intelligence behind it (I am not saying that there was, but it did seem that way).

Just for grins I looked on a Morse code chart to see if there was something similar. According to the chart 'knockknockknock...knock' is dot dot dot dash or "V".

"V" stands for "Visitors"...they're here.

Honestly, I do not know what made the noises, but I don't think it was the house settling. It was the first time I've heard it, and I haven't heard it since.

Maybe another time I'll tell you about the spooky little girl in the nightgown that my wife claims came out of the laundry-room one night and stood there staring at her while she was working at her desk.

-stray-

Undisclosed
    The grand daddy of ouija board stories is the little boy from Maryland who played with one after his aunt introduced him to it. Thing progressed and we know his basic story today which was told in the Exorcist film (the boy was changed to a female character in the film). Events include hearing the scratchings in the wall, had words raise up on his body, became possessed, and ultimately the Catholic church came in and performed an exorcism in St. Louis. 41 people had signed a document attesting to the fact that they had witnessed paranormal phenomena in the case. It's also the one case the Catholic church says was a "genuine demonic possession."

Having known someone who knew the priest involved in the case and who was able to see the actual diary of the exorcism (which still had dried vomit/spit on it) - That's enough for me never to use a ouija board regardless of what excuses science comes up in attempts to explain it away.
    Last edited by C5NOTLD; 23-May-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: sp