Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TAURUS remaking Day... AGAIN...

United States
    I have to believe that anyone who wants to see the original Day script come to film has never read it.

And if anyone is causing zombie movies to be taken less seriously it is GAR himself. He even says so in that Times article linked in the Survival forum.

Quote Originally Posted by GAR quote from LA Times article
    Q: How do you keep zombies fresh?

A: With CG, I can do more and be sillier. In "Diary," there's a scene where they hit a guy with acid and the camera is never off him, and you see it gradually eat through his skull and get all the way through his brain. That's fun too. There are a couple of real Looney Tunes and Coyote/Roadrunner moments in this film that I could never have done without CG. I guess I'm a kid in a candy store.

I've been able to stick with this genre I've loved since I was a kid. I grew up on DC comic books and "Tales From the Crypt," which were all loaded with humor, bad jokes and puns. I can have that kind of fun and make these comic book movies, but at the same time talk about things I want to talk about — whether it's consumerism or the Bush administration or war.
    This is probably evidence that we've missed the point all along. They were never supposed to be serious. :S
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    This is probably evidence that we've missed the point all along. They were never supposed to be serious. :S
    If you missed the slapstick stuff in Dawn, you're just not watching....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I have to believe that anyone who wants to see the original Day script come to film has never read it.

And if anyone is causing zombie movies to be taken less seriously it is GAR himself. He even says so in that Times article linked in the Survival forum.

In dawn that's definitely the case.

However, that does not apply to night or day, so...

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    The pie fight. What else?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The pie fight. What else?

I also enjoyed the lighthearted moments they shared after clearing out the mall when they were in the arcade and supermarket and stuff.

Funny though, both of those examples feel very "right" in that film in a way that it could never have in night or day.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Funny though, both of those examples feel very "right" in that film in a way that it could never have in night or day.
    Yeah. As we've heard Romero say a billion times...Dawn is a comic book romp. What else is there besides the pie fight? How long do you have?

The guy giving the bunny ears in the tv station, Blades having a switch blade comb, the blood pressure monitor, santa clause, vibrant blood, blue faces, fat guy bumping into things, funny music, etc, etc. These are just a few off the top of my head.

Someone should put a video up on youtube with all the silly stuff. Cut it with some Benny Hill music or something. That way when fanboys defend Dawn as a serious film, we'll have proof of the silly.

United States
    Hmm... I see the point, but I don't see those moments as being comedic slapstick as much as I see them pointing out the humor of the situation. Zombies would be riding escalators and falling down. Zombies would be bouncing off walls. That kind of thing reinforced that the zombies were more pitiful than malicious. The TV guy making bunny ears - can't you see that happening as the authority structure breaks down? It added to the tension of the newsroom.

All the scenes of biker stupidity made sense in the context of the film. Was the pie fight scene silly? Yeah. But it also displayed the casual disdain and mockery that the bikers showed for the zombies.

I guess I never looked at that as the director making a joke. It was more the director spotlighting dark humor of the situation.

A few Survival spoilers...

I compare that against the fire extinguisher scene in Survival. It made no sense on any level. It was akin to Shaun throwing records at a zombie in the backyard. It was just farcical.

Now compare that against the zombie driving the car on the ferryboat. I thought that was well done. It worked in the context of the film. It made sense with what we saw of zombie behavior and capabilities. Yet it was kinda silly, but a plausible silly.

You might laugh, but there is one thing I really hate about the pie fight scene. Why would there be trays full of pies after all those months?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If the pies bothered you, the bread with no mold must have driven you insane. Cheese, as well...

United States
    If the pies bothered you, the bread with no mold must have driven you insane. Cheese, as well...
    Thanks. I ... hadn't noticed that before. And now I'll never be able to NOT notice it....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    How did you not see the bread, dude? There's an entire scene/joke about it!

United States
    Are you talking about the loaves of pumpernickel that Roger and Peter pick up? If so, that was.. what... maybe a month into it? I can believe that stuff was still okay at that point. The cheese should have at least a 3 month shelf life. The sausage, 8 months or more. The bread.... errr... maybe a month. Brown breads last a while.

I was only thinking of the pies because of it being 8 months into it and them having cream topping. Ick.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well the pies were just whipped creme in a pan.

United States
    That's why the bikers could waste them freely on a pie fight.

And there's a simple expanation for the bread - it was the 70's, man.

They really knew how to add preservatives back then.

Mangia! HAWHAW HAW!!
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    Ala Revenge of the Nerds. Those were some good pies.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ala Revenge of the Nerds. Those were some good pies.