Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Rise of the Apes" - Planet of the Apes prequel

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^^^^

Sue me, but the acting from that era is very cheesy and unconvincing, so ya, why couldn't someone else do the role?

Now joe pilato, that would be interesting. I'd like to see him deliver the damn dirty ape line.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

How is it a slap to Heston? Heston was involved with the original and (against his will) in the first sequel, Beneath. I would shoot more for a slap in the face to Roddy McDowell seeing as how this is a remake of Conquest/Battle. McDowell and Kim Hunter are the true stars of the entire series, imo.

As much as I love Heston...I could see the original POTA working just fine with another actor. Heston deserves some high fives for taking a chance with the project, but I don't think the series owes him anything.
    I consider it the same way I considered Will Smith taking the place of Heston in "I Am Legend" as opposed to "The Omega Man". Of course, "The Omega Man" was itself a re-make of Vincent Price from "The Last Man on Earth" (and all three films based on "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson). I just don't like anyone re-doing a role that Heston did. I think he was one of the finest actors and seeing people attempting to re-do Heston just irks me...

You're right though, Roddy McDowell was fantastic. I still say that none will ever top the great Peter Vincent (Roddy McDowell), Vampire Killer, from "Fright Night". He was perfect in that role... of course, they are re-making "Fright Night" too (sigh). What's next, "Caligula"?

j.p.

EDIT: Wait, that was Malcom McDowell in "Caligula" -- but you get the point anyway... some things just shouldn't be re-made. There's no point. It's like trying to re-do Hitchcock. Why bother? You're only setting yourself up for failure.
    Last edited by JDFP; 26-May-2010 at 03:28 PM.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    What's next, "Caligula"?

j.p.
    Something sick like that or A clockwork orange would be awesome. Although, you know they're gonna make it pg-13, if at all, in order to make the most money out of it.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    The whole Heston/Apes discussion is interesting. Does Apes owe Heston for anything? I have to say my opinion is a bit torn. On the one hand, the movie has attained a remarkable cult status and it's hard to imagine it doing so without the performance of Heston as the anchor. On the other hand, Heston probably owes more to Apes than it owes him. Could it have been done by another actor and still held up as well? Maybe. Probably. But could it have been done by another actor and completely flopped? Most assuredly.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    But could it have been done by another actor and completely flopped? Most assuredly.

You meant like Beneath for the Planet of the apes did? It was essentially the same film but with a different lead.

Last edited by darth los; 26-May-2010 at 06:21 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There's one thing for sure about Heston and POTA - he was right for trying to stay away from Beneath. Good call on his part. Too bad they talked him into it. Maybe if he had stayed away completely they would have had to come up with a better storyline.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There's one thing for sure about Heston and POTA - he was right for trying to stay away from Beneath. Good call on his part. Too bad they talked him into it. Maybe if he had stayed away completely they would have had to come up with a better storyline.
    That's puzzling.

At that point in his career he was already an established star. If he turned down the role because it was "beneath" (pun intended) his standards then why stoop to a cameo in a crappy film?

One word: NOVA

Shit, if got to be around that for hours a day i might have done it too. !

If the pics aren't showing, try these links:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/n...blog2/nova.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/n...unro_color.jpg

Although, speaking of old time hotties, she doesn't hold a Candle to Marilyn Eastman.

Last edited by darth los; 26-May-2010 at 06:29 PM.

United States
    So are you guys like Home Page of the Apes forum regulars too?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

We have very eclectic tastes my friend.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Nope....just a fan of the films. That's about the extent of it. I'll watch the made-for-tv movies when they come on marathons, but I don't have any of the collectible figures or anything. I do have a shirt...that's about it.

It's just a fan-friggin-tastic series of sci fi gold. One of the best sci fi series of all time. And as everyone knows, there are also things lying beneath the surface that make it that much more important.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Nope....just a fan of the films. That's about the extent of it. I'll watch the made-for-tv movies when they come on marathons, but I don't have any of the collectible figures or anything. I do have a shirt...that's about it.

It's just a fan-friggin-tastic series of sci fi gold. One of the best sci fi series of all time. And as everyone knows, there are also things lying beneath the surface that make it that much more important.

Many films from back in the day did. Gar's films included.

Sadly it's a lost art in today's adhd world.

United States
    I'd love to have the whole series on DVD so I could watch in order without confusion and all that. Then I'd get my ape on for sure. I've seen them all but they're a blur at this point.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    in response to just about every post previous -

1: they shouldnt use cgi unless there going to be huge in scale. i didnt care for the burton remake but that apes looked great and thats probably cheaper and quicker than all the motion capture and model building and texturing you would need to do compared to "dress actors like apes".

2: charlten heston was a bad actor, the man did one thing on screen and one only: monologue angrily, and nothing else and the franchise does not need him to continue and certainly not another "actor" like him.

3: Whilst the cgi is off putting im glad this franchise isnt dead.

United States
    Hunter posted the 'Planet of the Men' sequel script written by Pierre Boulle on his website. It's second to last one under 'The Movies' category.

http://pota.goatley.com/scripts.html

Bassman to answer your earlier question, my list would be

Beneath
    Planet
    Escape
    Battle
    Conquest

Why Beneath the Planet of the Apes?

The astronaut rescue mission gone wrong. Brent and Nova witnessing General Ursus and the Gorilla war rally. Their flight and discovery of the remains of New York City and it's twisted inhabitants. And invasion of the Forbidden Zone by the Ape Army.

Yes it's cheesy to have Brent replace Taylor. Given that Heston had a very limited schedule the writers did what they could to include him in the film.

Planet would be my second favorite due to exploring an alien and hostile planet during the first half hour. Long before the shock of the cornfield scene, the movie draws the viewer in.

Escape is an interesting portal into the world of America in the early 1970's.

Battle could have been epic, had the filmmakers been given a decent budget. Alas with every ape film after the first the budget was reduced, even as they made the 20th Century Fox studio more and more money.

Of all the films find Conquest to be the most difficult to watch. Still amazed someone at the studio decided to green light such a violent controversial picture. Haven't seen the directors cut yet, supposed to be even more violent.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Beneath first and Conquest last? There's something wrong with you, man.

And yes....the extended cut is much more violent than the theatrical. Rather than the whole close up of Ceasar's "now we must put down our weapons" dialogue, you've got the original ending where they brutally kill all the humans. Real dark stuff.

Aside from a rushed/chopped up script and bad production values, I think the reason I dislike Beneath so much is the supernatural plotline. The mind reading, optical illusions, and "true self" storyline has me rolling my eyes everytime. True....this is a series about time travel and talking apes, but I can believe that more than some hokey religious cult with telekenetic powers from radiation.

1, 3, 4, and 5 are all grounded in a much more believable environment, imo.