Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: $54,000 4 -Day weekend gross on 20 Screens

United States
    Yeah, I really don't think the whole "Let's release it in the UK on DVD so that the movie can be pirated easily, and then do a Theater release in the US. . but before that We'll do an OnDemand thing!!" was the best business plan.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    The question is does BoxOfficeMojo track VOD sales. I'm willing to bet it doesn't.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Nope.. ATM I don't know who does, if anyone.

Only time I know about VOD is when I get my quarterlies from the studio
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Sad figures - but here in Los Angeles there was little to no ad campaign, no commercials on tv, third page article which comparatively was not even a real big feature in the newspaper, no bench ads, no billboards, little to no radio promo and it screened without fanfare in only one theater for the whole city of Los Angeles on an obscure art house screen. I can only imagine that there was less in other cities. This had less than Diary in the way of promo, and far far less than Land. Admittedly, I wasn't even aware that it was screening over the weekend, and I am the target demographic.

All that being taken in account, the poor numbers are understandable.

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Yeah, I really don't think the whole "Let's release it in the UK on DVD so that the movie can be pirated easily, and then do a Theater release in the US. . but before that We'll do an OnDemand thing!!" was the best business plan.

Agreed. This too was a really bad move.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I may just wait for the DVD release.
    I suspect this is what many fans are doing - I'm sure the movie will make back the principal investment plus a good profit through dvd sales. Just a shame that they didn't configure the theater release to do all that well. Almost as if it was mean to fail
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 03-Jun-2010 at 06:38 AM.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    And this is the same company behind Diary, right? I seem to remember Diary getting a pretty good ad campaign. For a month or so I was seeing it everywhere. I wonder why they slacked off on this one...
    Last edited by bassman; 03-Jun-2010 at 12:06 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post
    Depends on what type of change in % from first to second week of release to see if it builds in box office if more theaters are added or if it drops with the current 20 theaters.

Paranormal Activity in it's early release was in 200 theaters and grossed $41,000 per screen.

God i hope it makes more than paranormal activity. i like that film from an audience standpoint but as a filmmaker that two people in a house with no decent effects for thousands of dollars schtik still pisses me off.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Yeah Survival only made about $2700 per screen.
    only? thatīs not a bad number. itīs near 3000 per screen. same as robin hood... for example. itīs far from the media per screen in the weekend. itīs gonna make what a little independent movie itīs suppose to make.I donīt Know what they expect but i suppose they didnīt expend ANYTHING in advertising.i hope it do well i would like to see how George ends this minisaga.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    And this is the same company behind Diary, right? I seem to remember Diary getting a pretty good ad campaign. For a month or so I was seeing it everywhere. I wonder why they slacked off on this one...
    Not the same company. Survival is being distributed by Magnet, the genre arm of Magnolia. Diary was handled by The Weinsteins, the former Miramax heavyweights. Diary may have had more of a theatrical presence (and even that was pretty slight) but I think Magnet has done a great job promoting Survival in alternative ways. Magnet has released several of their films on VOD before going into theatres. Increasingly, this is the new release model. Romero-bashers point to Survival's on-demand premiere as proof of its crappiness. While the film is indeed lousy, that has nothing to do with anything.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjacktorrance View Post
    I donīt Know what they expect.
    To atleast make what they put into the film.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    To atleast make what they put into the film.

with only 20 screeen is a very difficult task, not all the horror movies are paranormal activity! i think itīs gonna be pretty profitable anyway, cause they spend very little in promotion, itīs all on the net.

United States
    Surely they will make big bucks on the dvd sales - more than enough to make a decent profit.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjacktorrance View Post
    only? thatīs not a bad number. itīs near 3000 per screen. same as robin hood... for example. itīs far from the media per screen in the weekend. itīs gonna make what a little independent movie itīs suppose to make.I donīt Know what they expect but i suppose they didnīt expend ANYTHING in advertising.i hope it do well i would like to see how George ends this minisaga.
    The per screen average can be misleading because it depends on the size of the theater and location (which can bring more people out or less people). You can have two different films with $3000 per screen average - one is good (because it's a smaller seat capacity theater and less theaters - say 20) and one is bad (because it is a larger seat capacity theater with more empty seats and in many more theaters say 200). Of course the negatives can work the other way as well. Ther percentage drop or increase from the first week to the 2nd week in box office is much more telling usually.

Survival just hit the cover of the latest issue of Home Media Magazine (formerly Video Store magazine) with a full page insert inside. Talks about some of the marketing including promotional partnership with AMCs Walking Dead series.

United States
    August 24th?!?!? No wayyyyyyyy.
    Put it on near me on the bigscreen and let me be the judge whether or not it sucks...
    I liked the last two. I will probably like this one in spite of the hate for it here.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    August 24th?!?!? No wayyyyyyyy.
    Put it on near me on the bigscreen and let me be the judge whether or not it sucks...
    I liked the last two. I will probably like this one in spite of the hate for it here.
    Not according to the HPOTD poll - like with Land, most HPOTD'ers dig Survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Dallow View Post
    Ah, so the R1 has a commentary, 'Walking After Midnight' documentary, 'Sarge' - a short film, GAR introduction, "and more". So I was right not to buy the barebones after all.
    Seeing as it wasn't coming to UK cinemas I went for the DVD (Ģ7.99), which was just a bit more than a cinema ticket anyways, and I've had two viewings out of it so far. I'll get the R1 2-discer when it comes out for sure for all the extras goodness.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Survival takes an 83.1% dip in its second week. Also loses 7 screens

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...lofthedead.htm
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*