Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: First Look at AMC's The Walking Dead Zombies as Production Begins

Super Moderator

UK
    Thanks for the shots Skold!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

How so? I watch Fear Fest every year and it never disappoints, imo. Easily the best collection of horror films around.
    Yeah, I like Fear Fest. The problem is: they only play the typical teenager slasher films. Very rarely do they play good films. And even the good films are edited for television. I think The Walking Dead is really going to spice things up this year.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    Yeah, I like Fear Fest. The problem is: they only play the typical teenager slasher films. Very rarely do they play good films. And even the good films are edited for television. I think The Walking Dead is really going to spice things up this year.
    Are we talking about the same AMC? Night of the Living Dead, The Crazies, Alien, Aliens, The Shining, Amityville Horror, The Exorcist, The Thing, Etc. These are just a few from last year off the top of my head. As I remember the whole marathon was litered with greats...
    Last edited by bassman; 13-Jun-2010 at 07:57 PM.

United States
    Damn. I didn't catch any of those last year! I actually worked at a Halloween store last year, so I didn't really have time for t.v.. Maybe this year will be different. Though, we might have to start prep work for DL3 by Oct. if Gary still wants his spring of 2011 shooting time.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    And even the good films are edited for television.

Yeah, I absolutely refuse to watch movies of that sort regular t.v for just that reason.

Once it's that heavily edited, what's the point?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Yeah, I absolutely refuse to watch movies of that sort regular t.v for just that reason.

Once it's that heavily edited, what's the point?

AMC is a tad different, though. They're one of the few channels that doesn't edit it TOO much. Of course they'll take out the f-bombs if it's the middle of the day, but for the most part everything else makes it through. After primetime they play totally unedited, if im not mistaken.

The only thing I don't like about AMC? THE COMMERCIALS. It seems like there are commercials every five minutes and they drag a 90 minute movie out to 3 hours!

With AMC it's sometimes best to set the DVR and watch it later. That fast forward button works miracles.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I couldn't watch TV in the US. Despite having supposedly more liberal free speech laws, US TV is very anal about swearing and violence (over here, anything "adult" orientated is shown after 9PM but usually unedited, which is a good compromise between freedom and concern over kids' wellbeing) and there are ad breaks about every ten minutes. Here, things are still bad but there are rules about how often a station can drop in commercial breaks, limiting them to about once every twenty minutes for a feature-length film, which helps a little.

Also, what is it about American documentaries? My experience of them is that after every break they not only feel the need to recap everything we've already seen, but also remind us about everything we're going to see later in the show. The end result is, after factoring in ad breaks and recaps, an hour-long show has about thirty minutes of actual content.

Is that what it's really like over there, or have I just seen a bad cross section of American TV?
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 14-Jun-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You're pretty much spot on about the TV editing. The good thing is that they seem to be getting lighter with it in recent years. It's like I've always heard....here they block nudity and cursing while everywhere else it's the violence. America is ass backwards sometimes...

As for the documentaries, I think you may have caught a few bad eggs. I know i've seen a few that have the problem you mentioned, but there are also some great ones out there. I think it's usually the made for tv docs that recap everything over and over again. I guess it's for people tuning in late.
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Jun-2010 at 10:07 PM.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    You're pretty much spot on about the TV editing. The good thing is that they seem to be getting lighter with it in recent years. It's like I've always heard....here they block nudity and cursing while everywhere else it's the violence. America is ass backwards sometimes...

As for the documentaries, I think you may have caught a few bad eggs. I know i've seen a few that have the problem you mentioned, but there are also some great ones out there. I think it's usually the made for tv docs that recap everything over and over again. I guess it's for people tuning in late.
    Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I've seen a lot of fantastic cinematic documentaries from the US, but as you said, it's the made for TV ones (especially the "investigative" type) that suffers that problem.

Super Moderator

UK
    Those "what if people vanished and the world crumbled" 'documentaries' are a prime example of that bullshit Kraken was on about. I was hammering my head against my wall twenty minutes in because of the constant repeating of footage and information, and not only that, but the voice over treated you like such an idiot - CONSTANTLY pointing out that no people were on the planet anymore in this scenario.

Oh, really? Gee, I forgot in the last thirty seconds, TELL ME AGAIN why don't you!

Yeah, American advert breaks would wind me up something chronic. Watching the Oscars live from the USA you see how frequent (and occasionally brief) they can be. Same thing with Tennis live from America (not that I watch tennis, but my Mum does all the time, so I've often seen snippets and it's always off to a 20 second ad break here and there).

Seriously - wtf, America?

And yeah. Learn to grow a pair of balls over swearing, boobs and violence on telly.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Life After People is just a TV show. I wouldn't even consider that a documentary, really. But yes....it's annoying.

All the documentaries I watch are on the History, Discovery, DOC and Sundance channels. Everything else is chopped up, "you're too stupid to remember 5 minutes ago", TV garbage.

United States
    AICN put some more pics up:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45461

Now these was taken by an amateur (Non-official) photographer, so I don't know how long they'll be online...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    AICN put some more pics up:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45461

Now these was taken by an amateur (Non-official) photographer, so I don't know how long they'll be online...
    looks like some pretty fast moving shamblers....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    hrm. They do look like they're moving fast....

Maybe they're doing the Hinzman Hobble that Darabont was talking about.
    Last edited by bassman; 15-Jun-2010 at 10:21 PM.

United States
    as long as they aren't pulling any of that wall-crawling, super-jumping, track-star sprinting shit, i can stand them moving along at hinzman speed.