Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546

Thread: Why people hate LOTD

Super Moderator

UK
    Ugh hell yeah, this thread has run it's course at least twice already. No doubt somebody would bitch about closing it and start another one.

The Land forum is on the "to do list" still I think.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    You're not wrong. This thread needs putting out of it's misery, can't one of the mods lock it or something?

I've considered sacrificing some time here by flaming the thread into lockdown, but I don't want to get banned

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I will enjoy discussing Land today, tomorrow, and for the next 20 years, just like I enjoy discussing Night, Dawn, and Day now even though I saw them 20 years ago.

I know I'm not the most prolific member here, but I can say that these forums have forced me to think very hard about the movie and to constantly evaluate and re-evaluate my thoughts on it. A lot of people have made some great points, some of which have changed my opinions, some of which have reinforced my opinion, some of which have caused me to see whole new aspects to the movies. But for all of them I can say it's good discussion.

I wish we'd had this kind of thing when Day came out.

I say give it another 20 years and then close it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I will enjoy discussing Land today, tomorrow, and for the next 20 years, just like I enjoy discussing Night, Dawn, and Day now even though I saw them 20 years ago.

I know I'm not the most prolific member here, but I can say that these forums have forced me to think very hard about the movie and to constantly evaluate and re-evaluate my thoughts on it. A lot of people have made some great points, some of which have changed my opinions, some of which have reinforced my opinion, some of which have caused me to see whole new aspects to the movies. But for all of them I can say it's good discussion.

I wish we'd had this kind of thing when Day came out.

I say give it another 20 years and then close it.

Nobody is saying no more discussion about Land. We're just saying take out the Land forum and Land can be discussed in Dead Discussion just like the other three films. It's a few year old film and there's really no need in it's own forum.

Keep Diary's forum up for awhile, and when it starts to get some years on it, move it to Dead Discussion. Then do the same for Diary 2, etc etc....

United States
    After much thought I'm going to contradict myself and reverse my position that there's no precedent for zombies to exhibit deductive reasoning in the first 3 movies.

It all boils down to one scene that I can't get out of my head. It's when Bub puts it together that he has a gun and can use it to shoot Rhodes. Knowing how to use the gun is remembered behavior, but there's definitely a point where he has a flash of insight that the gun can be used to kill Rhodes. He wasn't just shooting the gun mindlessly, he was shooting it with purpose. That moves him beyond mimicry into reasoning.

Does that make Big Daddy plausible? Or the next obvious step in zombie evolution? Or Romero's plan all along? I'm not there yet. But the next time I watch Land I'll keep that perspective in mind.

Thanks @ griff and all for beating that point home.

Now you can close the thread.

Super Moderator

UK
    *sigh of relief*

I'm glad you're looking outside your own box (so-to-speak) Trin.

Indeed, Big Daddy is both plausible and the next step in the zombie evolution, and I would say GAR definitely had that level of progression from a long time ago, at least from when he was writing Day of the Dead at least.

But even if he didn't (which he blatantly did), GAR wrote Land and directed the darn thing, so he was obviously making the film he wanted to make ultimately (studio troubles aside, so you know what I mean ).

And Bub is super awesome. I'd say that Bub is the best zombie EVER, easily.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Indeed, Big Daddy is both plausible and the next step in the zombie evolution

Yeah...but even though we like Land and the idea of BD, you and I both know that Eugene Clark should've been fired and BD recast with a better actor. I think ALL of us here at HPotD agree with that...

How cool would it have been if it were Howard Sherman reprising his role as Bub? It could've worked into the story somehow....

Like he says on the Documentary....he could teach the zombies to eat chicken.

United States

Thumbs up

No arguments there.

United States
    Yes Bub is awesome. No Doubt. I agree with you there. And a BIG yes to the fact that BD would have been more plausible with a better actor. I think I've mentioned that before.

don't tell anyone we agreed on something.

"When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Yeah...but even though we like Land and the idea of BD, you and I both know that Eugene Clark should've been fired and BD recast with a better actor. I think ALL of us here at HPotD agree with that...

speaka fora youself,american

England

Thumbs up

Anybody who disagrees with this statement of fact should face a lifetime ban from HPotD (and the internet as well).
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Australia
    Yeah, I say we close this thread.

...and all head over to the 'Why people love LOTD' thread!
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Yeah, I say we close this thread.

...and all head over to the 'Why people love LOTD' thread!
    Hell yeah!

But indeed, I think this thread has well and truly run it's course (twice if not more ) and I think we've all agreed that it's time this thread was archived, Lost Ark style.

I also thought I'd stick the thread, so that people can mourn it's passing, and others can have a bit of a trawl through so we don't have another bloody one crop up.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 03-Nov-2007 at 10:42 AM.