View Poll Results: What do you think of the film Titanic?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • I own Titanic, think it's great and have kittens named Kate and Leo!

0 0%
  • I cried during Titanic and not because it was bad.

3 17.65%
  • I own/have owned Titanic on 1 or more formats and thinks it's great!

2 11.76%
  • Titanic was/is a very good film experience.

4 23.53%
  • I thought Titanic was great at the time, but now just think it's decent.

0 0%
  • The only good part of Titanic are the visual effects.

3 17.65%
  • Titanic is an okay movie, if you're into that sort of thing...

1 5.88%
  • Titanic is not my cup of tea...not that I drink tea.

1 5.88%
  • Titanic was horrendous!

2 11.76%
  • I didn't cry during Titanic, but I punched a guy who did.

1 5.88%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Titanic: The Manly Men Sound Off

Super Moderator

United States

Question Titanic: The Manly Men Sound Off

Just out of interest what do you all think about this movie?

yes, I know...bit behind the time, but I was inspired by a few different posts that have popepd up about it recently.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    When is the boat going to sink.... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink..? oh there it goes!

Super Moderator

United States
    Just added the poll questions, Kraken. Take a look.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think it's a great film from start to finish. Proud owner of the 3-4 disc ultimate edition DVD. Still need it on BR, though.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    One of the best movies of all time. And this is besides the fact that a dude would freeze his balls off while the chick gets to live.

Ain't.

Happening.

Bro.

Leonardo is the man though.

Side note: I refuse to watch the Oscars Until he gets an Acadamy Award for best actor.

The fact that he doesn't have one and Jaime Foxx does annoys me to no end.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Awww, and you made the results private to futher preserve our manly images.

I liked Titanic. . . I'll still watch it if there is nothing else on. . . .I really like the last 30 minutes or so. And Kate Winslette's boobs. . . .there is that too!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    There's no spot for "Nevr could be bothered to sit through the damn thing"...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Just in case someone cried when they saw it

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post

I liked Titanic. . . I'll still watch it if there is nothing else on. . . .I really like the last 30 minutes or so. And Kate Winslette's boobs. . . .there is that too!!
    I'd sit through it again just for that dude.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    There's no spot for "Nevr could be bothered to sit through the damn thing"...
    Sorry, only ten options and I think I covered the bases for the people who did see it and would then have a basis for an opinion, but I know what you mean. There's movie I just can't wade into myself.

Super Moderator

UK
    When I first saw it on VHS rental back in, what, early 1998 I think I thought it was pretty good - but basically for the ship sinking.

Then as I got a bit older and became a jaded teenager, I hated the movie, and this continued throughout my film degree as well, we even discussed Titanic in one of our first classes, and I remember my response (like most) was vitriolic and pissily dismissive.

Then around the time Avatar was coming out I got all up in JC's work again, and sought out the two documentaries he made - one of which is Ghosts of the Abyss, about the Titanic. I then decided I'd get the 4-disc DVD so I could watch all the bonus features, as I wanted to explore the making of the movie as a technical marvel.

I watched it with the commentary on, so it wasn't properly watching it I guess, but I appreciated the movie in a much different way. The Kate/Leo thing is still a bit ... hmmm ... but the whole class system thing going on on the ship is quite interesting and a good backdrop for the sentimental luvvy-duvvy stuff.

Then when the ship sinks, not only is it an amazing feat of filmmaking (a combo of practical, CGI and miniatures), but it's also really quite chilling to behold. The sheer panic, the 3rd class passengers getting locked down below, the utter nonsense that went on with the life boats, the arrogance of the people who thought themselves Gods for creating Titanic etc etc.

I used to think it was kind of sick in a way as these people really did die - and there's a lot of real events placed into the sinking of the movie - JC's research is meticulous, and he explains on the commentary where he tweaked things, or combined things, and he even apologises to the family of one of the life boat men who is portrayed as, initially, being bought-off by Billy Zane's character - whereas in reality the guy was seemingly nothing but a stand-up guy.

So it's a fascinating DVD to see how it all came together, and it's good to see what got cut out - including an absolutely laughable chase through the sinking dining rooms by that guy toting the gun going after the stone around Kate's neck ... the scene is retarded in its original form, but with a simple edit it's much, much better.

So while there is a lot of sentimental, mushy luvvy-duvvy stuff in it, it's also a fascinating technical marvel with an astonishing attention to detail and true-to-life happenings that can become really quite chilling.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Okay....who voted for the "punched a guy" option? Who's the lumberjack that puts all of us girls to shame?

United States
    I said it in another thread, so I'll just quote it here:

Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr
    The only good parts to Titanic where when the ship hit the ice 'till when it finally sank. The rest is all BS that wasn't necessary. If you're going to name it "Titanic" make it about the Titanic. If you're going to make the movie about the love story, call it "Bullshit Love Story on the Titanic"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So you're the lumberjack manly man?

"Uggg. Me Lou. Me want destruction and death. No emotional connect. ugg"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    So you're the lumberjack manly man?

"Uggg. Me Lou. Me want destruction and death. No emotional connect. ugg"
    No, I was not the lumberjack manly man.

Like I said, when a movie is named "Titanic" I expect it to be about the Titanic, not 2 hours of BS love story.

When I went to see House on Haunted Hill, guess what it was about? A House that was haunted, and it was on a Hill. Guess what I saw when I went to go see A Nightmare on Elm Street? A chick who had a nightmare and she lived on Elm Street. No other bullshit surrounding it, no love story to get in the way of the meat of the story.

So, when I go to see "Titanic" I expect it to be about the boat, not 2 hours of love story surrounded by 30 minutes of awesomeness.