Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Here we go again! Approved: BDXL 128 GB Blu-ray Disc Format

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I would rather stick with BR. Not to mention, if it's anything like our HDDVD, it won't be around long.
    Quoted for truth.

That brings us back from sucking off $ony to this new format - which will end up becoming the standard, and yes Dj, you're gonna have to get new hardware for it. I know you like your P$3 (have you given it a reach-around? ), but I don't think it is pysically capable of playing this new 4 layer BR disc.

That is unless this was $ony's evil plan from day 1... Hmmm...

*puts on tinfoil hat*

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Quoted for truth.

That brings us back from sucking off $ony to this new format - which will end up becoming the standard, and yes Dj, you're gonna have to get new hardware for it. I know you like your P$3 (have you given it a reach-around? ), but I don't think it is pysically capable of playing this new 4 layer BR disc.

That is unless this was $ony's evil plan from day 1... Hmmm...

*puts on tinfoil hat*
    it is just a firmware update...
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Christ on a bike, how quickly did this thread descend (or "ascend" ... if you're horny) into sexual depravity? There's teats, and reach arounds, and sucking and all sorts going on up in here ... blimey!

Anyway. I saw HD in Currys a few months ago, and I simply don't see what the fuss is about. They had a display Blu-Ray & HD TV combo going on, and while I recognised a difference in the picture (the colours seemed to have a smidge more pop, and the sharpness of the image was sharper) ... I just didn't see that it was really all that important.

Like, you could film a piece of turd on the bottom of a shoe in HD, and master it in 1080p or i, or whatever-the-fuck, but it'd still be a bum bomb smooshed into a Nike.

Heck, rubbish quality even amplifies the experience - grindhouse flicks for example - or like when I was a teenager watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre on a 3rd generation dubbed VHS.

Irrespective of visual and audio quality though, it's what's happening on screen that counts anyway, and as Lou was saying, you only get ones on BR that are worthwhile - frankly, if they're not putting out the best on BR constantly, then what are some jokers up to?

It's bad enough that some DVDs are released in such terrible quality - for example, a copy of "Pieces" I have on R1 DVD from years ago - it's a VHS rip in 4x3 and it says "digitially remastered" on the cover ... what a piss take.

The only time I'll get into Blu-Ray is when I've got no fucking choice - and shame on the media companies for pushing future-me into that position.

As for all the nonsense and expense that goes along with HD, if they want mass-pick-up by the public, they're going to have to make it:
    1) Cheap.
    2) Simple.
    3) Reliable and long-running.

I don't know where Bassman is shopping though, BR's are always more expensive - be they online or in a shop - and a BR player, or one that's worthwhile getting for quality and longevity, is a damn sight more expensive than a good, solid, reliable DVD player (which you could get for £30). The cheapest BR player I've seen is about £100 - but it's a shit basic one with no longevity in its future, nor much in the way of tech - so it'd be 100 quid down the shitter.

Also, HD is supposed to be most worthwhile on a big ass screen - now, we've got Sky HD (for a year at least, lol) in the main room which has a 37" telly in there. I've been watching the Beverly Hills Cop movies through there these last couple of days - on the HD version of Sky Comedy - and while I see a difference, it's just a bit sharper.

What's the big fucking deal?

If a film is going to drop my jaw, it's most likely going to be because of the content.

For me quality of the picture is ultimately irrelevant - if the film's good, it's fucking good. I love me a quality DVD release, no wonder as I've got something like 450 of the fuckers weighing down my wall, but my most memorable and worthwhile viewing experiences aren't connected to the physical/digital quality of the image and sound.

For example, back in 2006 I went to the Bristol Bloodbath Film Festival (where "VHS" was shown as part of a short films portion of the days' schedule) and one of the films that day was The Pit and The Pendulum (with Vincent Price) - the print broke 2 or 3 times (one time it jammed and burned ) and it was riddled with scratches, missing frames, and buggered out reel-ends ... but it was one of my most memorable viewing experiences because of the quality of the film ... ... and, well, actually the character of the print and the screening itself, and being at the film fest - the whole package made that experience one to remember. So I guess, the bad quality made it more memorable - in the best possible way - so while it's still ultimately irrelevant, it did hold sway (through poor quality) - some sway anyway - over my decision.

But I've never thought "wow, what a memorable viewing experience cos it's so sharp".

As for 3D TV - what a fucking joke. 3D cinema is enough of a joke, let alone 3D telly. There's a purpose - a relatively minor, briefly held purpose - in a 3D movie ... but only for events. I've seen Avatar in 3D and that's it. I'll probably see Tron Legacy in 3D, and that'll be my 3D for 2010, lol ... so yeah, 3D is exceptionally wishful thinking on the part of the media corporations who want our cash from it. Gimmick alright.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    it is just a firmware update...
    You keep telling yourself that. We'll see when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Christ on a bike, how quickly did this thread descend (or "ascend" ... if you're horny) into sexual depravity? There's teats, and reach arounds, and sucking and all sorts going on up in here ... blimey!
    HE STARTED IT! *points at Dj with a crooked finger*

Anyway. I saw HD in Currys a few months ago, and I simply don't see what the fuss is about. They had a display Blu-Ray & HD TV combo going on, and while I recognised a difference in the picture (the colours seemed to have a smidge more pop, and the sharpness of the image was sharper) ... I just didn't see that it was really all that important.
    Keep in mind, MZ, that most of these stores don't have a single clue how to calibrate nor properly set up a TV/BR player combination. I've seen Best Buy here in the states where the BR player was hooked up to the TV and they were showing one of the Star Wars flicks in the wrong aspect ratio! they had it squishing it down to 4:3 letterbox instead of 16x9.. WTF?!

Heck, rubbish quality even amplifies the experience - grindhouse flicks for example - or like when I was a teenager watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre on a 3rd generation dubbed VHS.
    I can't help but laugh at people who buy Grindhouse on BR.. What's the freakin' point?!

Irrespective of visual and audio quality though, it's what's happening on screen that counts anyway, and as Lou was saying, you only get ones on BR that are worthwhile - frankly, if they're not putting out the best on BR constantly, then what are some jokers up to?
    Using the master to the original standard def DVD pressing and slapping it on a blu-gay disc. No idea why the hell anyone would bother, but they do. Sometimes they'll do edge enchancement and make it even worse, but, that's what some of these cheap-assed companies will do to make a buck. You REALLY have to search out reviews from the real audiophiles & videophiles to pick out the best of the bunch of the Blu-Rays. Like I said, the remaster of Wizard of Oz is UNBELIEVEABLE as well as a few other flicks, but many BR releases - I'm looking at you, Columbia, and you're FUCKED release of Last Action Hero on BR! - are not worthy of the DVD-to-BR upgrade.

As for all the nonsense and expense that goes along with HD, if they want mass-pick-up by the public, they're going to have to make it:
    1) Cheap.
    Players have come down VERY far in price here in the US - not sure about over there in the UK. I'm still not happy with some movies being priced at $20-25USD, but most are on the cheap when you buy them the first week of release.

2) Simple.
    At this point, I believe it is pretty simple. Aside from that online bullshit and their "BD Live" which is COMPLETELY WORTHLESS at this point.

3) Reliable and long-running.
    "long-running" will never happen - not with the new 128gb 4-layer BR discs that Dj thinks his P$3 will play with just a "firmware upgrade" But I think that's the case with most technology. We got a good run with standard def DVD's, but that was a rarity when Moore's Law is in effect.

I don't know where Bassman is shopping though, BR's are always more expensive - be they online or in a shop - and a BR player, or one that's worthwhile getting for quality and longevity, is a damn sight more expensive than a good, solid, reliable DVD player (which you could get for £30). The cheapest BR player I've seen is about £100 - but it's a shit basic one with no longevity in its future, nor much in the way of tech - so it'd be 100 quid down the shitter.
    Well, here in the states, like I said above, during the week of release, most BR's are cheap. Usually less than $15 USD. I'm not sure what's up with the area around you, but if you ever want a cheap R1 BR player, ask and ye shall recieve from an anonymous US donor.

What's the big fucking deal?
    When you see The Thing in HD on a 40"+ screen for the first time, you will immediately stop asking that question.

I used to think PQ was irrelevant to me too dude - I used to be "nothing but audio" - if a flick didn't have a DTS track on it, I was pissed - that is until I started see some of these REALLY good HD transfers. That made the difference for me because I could actually see a significant difference.

I've never thought "wow, what a memorable viewing experience cos it's so sharp".
    Mainly because we haven't been spoiled with HD content as of yet. Once you're exposed to it and see it's true capabilites, you'll never turn back.

Put it this way - I have a bunch of HD channels on Verizon FiOS - when I sit down to watch the telly for the evening, guess what channels I scan first? It isn't the 800 channels of standard def shit, it's the HD channels first, then the SD stuff. It wasn't until Dj and I were on the phone one day and I told him I did that, and he said "I do too" - then I realized, FUCK! I've been infected with the goddamn HD virus and like HIV, it's incurable! lol
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 30-Jun-2010 at 07:47 PM.

England
    Sky HD is only 1080i

Blu-Ray is the real deal, and I was one of those "upscaling is nearly as good" types until I saw the light.

Go watch Zulu or Bladerunner upscaled then watch them on Blu...night and day difference.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Best Blu-Ray Release with awesome PQ (My opinion of course)

Batman Begins (also own on HD DVD)
    The Dark Knight
    Zombieland
    Dawn of the Dead (original)
    Kill Bill Series
    Transformers (own on HD DVD as well)

Decent and makes you like twice flicks:

Shaun of the Dead (HD DVD Verison is better)
    Hot Fuzz (I prefer the HD DVD version)
    Braveheart
    Gladiator (Australian Release)
    Shawshank Redeption
    The Green Mile
    Forrest Gump
    Con Air

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

You keep telling yourself that. We'll see when the time comes.

HE STARTED IT! *points at Dj with a crooked finger*
    I will keep telling myself that, and BS, I didn't start the thread.

Oh and Lou was one of those Upscale is good enough until i gave him an HD DVD player for his b-day
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 30-Jun-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

England
    I Am Legend & Kingdom of Heaven are good show off discs.

Will have MZ goin' down on Mr Sony quicker than a $5 whore!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post

$5.00??? $2.00 whores go down faster than $5.00 whores
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    $5.00??? $2.00 whores go down faster than $5.00 whores
    Well, they have to make up that loss of income somehow don't they?

Therefore they have to work quicker. But quicker i not always better. There are sure to be some teeth scrapes in there which defeats the whole purpose doesn't it?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

England
    Competition is always good for the customer...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Well, they have to make up that loss of income somehow don't they?

Therefore they have to work quicker. But quicker i not always better. There are sure to be some teeth scrapes in there which defeats the whole purpose doesn't it?

speaking from experience?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Lou was one of those Upscale is good enough until i gave him an HD DVD player for his b-day
    Yes I was. It wasn't until I saw some stellar HD content on that sucker (The Thing in particular - sorry to keep bringing it up, but the transfer on that is just - speaking of which, Dj, have you see The Thing on BR? is the quality just as good as the HD-DVD?)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post

Yeah, I Am Legend looks great. Is it me, or was the non-theatrical ending of that flick WAY better? I personally thought so.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 30-Jun-2010 at 08:12 PM.

England
    Yes I was. It wasn't until I saw some stellar HD content on that sucker (The Thing in particular - sorry to keep bringing it up, but the transfer on that is just - speaking of which, Dj, have you see The Thing on BR? is the quality just as good as the HD-DVD?)

Yeah, I Am Legend looks great. Is it me, or was the non-theatrical ending of that flick WAY better? I thought so.
    The alternate ending made way more sense...the theatrical one sucked and made Neville out to be a bit of tool really.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    speaking from experience?
    With whores no. With teeth scrapes unfortunatley yes.

Some people just don't understand how hard it is to get a good blow job now days.

Perhaps i should give whores a try. They have alot of experience and are bound to give a better BJ. They livlihood depends on it after all.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"