Thread: UK folks... "Misfits" sound fun/interesting...

Administrator

England

UK folks... "Misfits" sound fun/interesting...

Starts this Saturday...

When five young outsiders on community service get caught in a strange storm they quickly discover that they have developed superpowers. Kelly, who gets judged her on her chavvy appearance, gains the ability to hear peoples' thoughts; shy Simon turns invisible whenever he is ignored; Curtis, who is filled with remorse for his crime, turns back time when he feels regret, and anyone who touches the Alisha falls in lust with her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misfits_%28TV_series%29
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    well since Amy Pond got her crack filled iv been missing a bit of sci-fi on a saturday so hopefully this will keep me going for a while

United Kingdom
    I watched this, I thought it was shite, to be honest. Skins with super powers.
    Kill 'em All

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Of War View Post
    Oh
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Of War View Post
    ^This, a thousand times this.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    ^This, a thousand times this.
    More
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    looks like i will have to get my weekly sci-fi fix somewhere else then

Super Moderator

UK
    I'll have a squizz at the first episode, but the idea of "Skins with superpowers" doesn't fill me with interest. Also, being that it's a bunch of "ruffians" with ASBOs and living on a council estate, it sounds like it could be ... I don't know ... a bit throat-shovey, a bit hmmm ... like, it's as if the only young people in Britain are ASBO kids on estates according to these shows.

I'll take The Inbetweeners over Skins any day of the week.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

I'll take The Inbetweeners over Skins any day of the week.
    now thats quality....cant wait for series 3

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by fartpants View Post
    now thats quality....cant wait for series 3
    Not seen it...
    -Carl Sagan

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Not seen it...
    You're missing out, it's one of the funniest things that's been on TV in the past few years.
    Kill 'em All

Super Moderator

UK
    Agreed - Neil, you have to check out The Inbetweeners. It's ruddy good fun.

Initially I was a bit "pfft, Skins rip-off" when I saw the trailers for it around the time of Skins series 2, but then I saw clips on TV now and then and it made me laugh, so I caught up on series 1 before 2 aired, and then saw series 2 and it's ruddy good.

It's painfully realistic at times, and far better for it. The characters aren't a bunch of overly serious and self-involved emo kids who are intensely self-aware about being on a 'cool' TV show - the cast reflects, far more accurately, exactly what the vast majority of Britain's teenagers are really like, and it's both hilarious and cringe-worthy at the same time.

I have watched The Inbetweeners and sat there thinking "I've done that" or "I know someone just like that" or "that's awfully familiar" ... both in terms of fond memories, but also in terms of the stupid things you do as a teenager that you look back on and just cringe about.

So really, The Inbetweeners is the anti-Skins.

Oh yes, and *ahem*, "BUS WANKERS!"