Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Here we go again! Approved: BDXL 128 GB Blu-ray Disc Format

United States

Here we go again! Approved: BDXL 128 GB Blu-ray Disc Format

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...y-disc-format/

Ok, so it says it's for commerical and applications now, but what do you want to bet that as soon as standard definition DVD's sales start weaning that $ony comes out and says "oh, well, your 1080p dual-layer BR discs are SO last generation.. so SHUT UP, SLAVE and buy our new players since your old BR's aren't compatible"

Good lord...

Chasing Prey

Canada
    i lost interest when they said "oh ur blu ray player has to have a constant internet connection to have updated firmware.

thats not even worth the HUNDREDS you pay for the player and the movies if it needs constant updating

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Everything now days requires an update. I pods, consoles, you name it.

I can't even fire up my x box without it telling me i have to update or else i will be signed out of x box live.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Bullshit connectivity - even games have that shit now on the PC if it's got Ubisoft's wank 'constant internet connection to play, even fucking single player mode' thing on it.

The constant changes are one of several reasons I'm not upgrading to BR.

1) The difference isn't huge. It's just DVD+1, the change from VHS to DVD was huge, but from DVD to BR it isn't all-that-and-a-bag-of-coovan, you know?

2) My eyesight isn't in HD, so jacking off over pin sharp pictures when you're still supposed to be sat a distance from the telly is retarded.

3) BR's are 99% of the time more expensive than DVD, and by several quid.

4) The equipment and media - not only does it keep changing, but it's expensive if you want proper stuff - and you have to have a kick ass massive-ass telly to make it worthwhile.

5) Fuck BR taking extra features that could piss-easily be found on a DVD for major releases - that's bullshit screwing us DVD owners over, especially as BR is a mere sliver of the market and DVD continues to be the dominant species.

So all-in-all - BR is not something I'll be getting into any time soon.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    1) The difference isn't huge. It's just DVD+1, the change from VHS to DVD was huge, but from DVD to BR it isn't all-that-and-a-bag-of-coovan, you know?
    Dude....trust me. I used to say the exact same thing you're saying here, but i've since eaten those words. Dvd is still fine and well, but seeing some of your favorite films in glorious 1080p? Nothing like it.

2) My eyesight isn't in HD, so jacking off over pin sharp pictures when you're still supposed to be sat a distance from the telly is retarded.
    See number one. It's not about the pinpoint clarity, but the overall picture quality. There really is a great difference.

3) BR's are 99% of the time more expensive than DVD, and by several quid.
    Where are you guys shopping? I've been buying BR's at 10 dollars while the dvd counterpart is 15-20.

4) The equipment and media - not only does it keep changing, but it's expensive if you want proper stuff - and you have to have a kick ass massive-ass telly to make it worthwhile.
    I can't argue with the updates, but you don't need a massive-ass TV. You can get a smaller and cheaper one and still get the same quality. Besides....HD tvs are the norm now. They don't even manufacture tube TVs anymore, from my understanding.

5) Fuck BR taking extra features that could piss-easily be found on a DVD for major releases - that's bullshit screwing us DVD owners over, especially as BR is a mere sliver of the market and DVD continues to be the dominant species.
    Once again, where are you shopping? The BR sections of my local stores are three times as big as the DVD. And the special features thing is just a marketing ploy trying to get people to switch over. Same thing DVD did to VHS.

So all-in-all - BR is not something I'll be getting into any time soon.
    One of these days. One of these days...

United States
    I don't know MZ, while I agree with most of what you're saying, there's one thing I have to disagree with.

Example: Shaun of the Dead. The difference between the standard def version and the HD-DVD (I don't own it on BR, and refuse to since I already have the HD-DVD and from I understand, the PQ is better on the HD than the BR) are night and day. I mean, seriously dude, the picture clarity between the two are stunning to say the least. The same with The Thing - that HD-DVD transfer is how re-mastering for HD should be done, period.

So in that respect, HD does make a big difference. You may not "feel" like your eyes can't see in HD, but they can, and with the right tv, the right BR or HD-DVD player, the difference between picture quality can be an incredible leap - unless you have Harry Potter eyes and need coke-bottle glasses.

I completely understand your reluctance to get into the whole BR thing though - it's as if they say "this is the next standard for HD... for this year, but next year or the year after, we'll move onto something different!" so why bother? It's a tough decision to make. I think the only reason I moved to BR is because A) HD-DVD is toast, and even though it was a better format, it lost and the game is over. B) I like HD, and I really see the difference. The only caveat is, I won't buy any BR discs unless the movie I'm looking to buy has been remastered properly. IE: The Thing, or even The Wizard of Oz - that BR transfer is BEYOND WORDS. Don't care about the movie, but ho-ly shit is the transfer stellar.

Now, that being said, all this connectivity bullshit with game consoles, BR players, etc. I find to be abhorrent. The WORST offenders being idiots like Ubisoft that REQUIRE an internet connection to play some of their games. WTF?! What about the people with NO internet?! Yes, there are still some people without it. How are they supposed to play the sequel to their favorite Ubisoft game without a connection? Oh, that's right, they're not. And how are the rest of us to play if Ubisoft's servers go down? Oh, that's right, we're not.

Back to the BR and this new standard - I just see it as a new way to push yet new hardware on us and make us spend even more money - even though over the past few years most people are starting to upgrade to BR. I find it to be an epic bullshit move by $ony. Too soon in the game, but you know damn well they'll take advantage of it as soon as standard def discs sales start to wean.

Sometimes I love technology, other times I despise it totally.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 30-Jun-2010 at 12:34 PM.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Thsi is why I bought the PS3, it is 3D upgradeable and most liley will be firmware updated to use 128gb discs

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Everything now days requires an update. I pods, consoles, you name it.

I can't even fire up my x box without it telling me i have to update or else i will be signed out of x box live.

Thats because nothing is built with quality in mind from the start... it is now quality on the go
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Thsi is why I bought the PS3, it is 3D upgradeable and most liley will be firmware updated to use 128gb discs

Dj, sucking at the teat of $ony again I see.

Well, rest assured "home 3d" isn't going anywhere ANY time soon, so i don't think I'd list that as a "feature." Watching TV is a 'passive' activity (for the most part) - that and no one is going to want to wear glasses to watch TV at home. Until they can do 3D without glasses, it's doomed for "home" entertainment.

I'll believe the upgrade to use 128gb BR's in the future when I see it. Somehow, I think the hardware itself is going to need to be upgraded. This isn't something they had in the works (this new standard) when the PS3 was released. Good luck on that one.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    After having seen one of those 3D tvs in Best Buy....it's not going to catch on. Definitely just a gimmick. They're not even close to the technology to make it worthwhile. These things will sale for a year or so and then go the way of the Dodo, imo.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Dj, sucking at the teat of $ony again I see.

Well, rest assured "home 3d" isn't going anywhere ANY time soon, so i don't think I'd list that as a "feature." Watching TV is a 'passive' activity (for the most part) - that and no one is going to want to wear glasses to watch TV at home. Until they can do 3D without glasses, it's doomed for "home" entertainment.

I'll believe the upgrade to use 128gb BR's in the future when I see it. Somehow, I think the hardware itself is going to need to be upgraded. This isn't something they had in the works (this new standard) when the PS3 was released. Good luck on that one.
    Nothing to do with sucking their teat... as you are too by owning Blu-Ray

Just that when it comes to compatibility and upgrades the PS3 was the only unit built for all this BS. I wisely spent my money.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Nothing to do with sucking their teat... as you are too by owning Blu-Ray

Just that when it comes to compatibility and upgrades the PS3 was the only unit built for all this BS. I wisely spent my money.
    Yeah, but I didn't go directly to the $ony teat, I did the reach-around.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, but I didn't go directly to the $ony teat, I did the reach-around.
    Something you're very familiar with....
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Damn right, just like sucking $ony's teat is all too familar to you.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Damn right, just like sucking $ony's teat is all too familar to you.
    But at least I am sucking on a teat... not jerking the gerkin.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Who's jerkin'? I'm suckin' & doing a reach-around - what other choice do we have? $ony fucked Toshiba in the ass, so it's all relative.