Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: God Bless America

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Self serving in that respect then?
    You remind me of Ed Harris in Knightriders "If you die, your ideals don't die"

Other than that I've literally no idea what you're saying....!!
    Other than the holy trilogy, "Knightriders" is my most favorite Romero film -- incredible stuff (IMO). Ed Harris was fantastic in that role too.

Basically, I'm just saying that the ideology of America is greater than just the geography of what it is. The American Principle/American Dream/etc. -- that type of jive, you dig?

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    This cat digs....lol

yeah I get ya now - that's a whole discussion right there - is idealogy more important than reality?
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    This cat digs....lol

yeah I get ya now - that's a whole discussion right there - is idealogy more important than reality?
    It's a fantastic question and maybe a good question to post to the forum just to hear other people's opinions on it. But I say yes that Ideology is more important than reality. I guess the question is whether or not Ideology should be more important than reality or not. It's a damn good question, actually.

j.p.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    It's a fantastic question and maybe a good question to post to the forum just to hear other people's opinions on it. But I say yes that Ideology is more important than reality. I guess the question is whether or not Ideology should be more important than reality or not. It's a damn good question, actually.

j.p.
    that's the killer, right there - personally I say no, idealogy can cloud rational judgment and rationality is God in my book - but then on the other hand idealogy has borne a huge part of the planet's culture and identity and without those I fear we'd be naturally like the people in Demolition Man or something....ugh.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States

Amurrica...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    that's the killer, right there - personally I say no, idealogy can cloud rational judgment and rationality is God in my book - but then on the other hand idealogy has borne a huge part of the planet's culture and identity and without those I fear we'd be naturally like the people in Demolition Man or something....ugh.
    Ideaology is one of the worst things that humans suffer from. i'll take knowledge/reality any day. knowledge does not admit belief nor ideaology. 2 plus 2 =4 no matter what the f*ck you beleive in nor what your "ideaology" is. Ideaology is why there are assholes that blow themselves up on buses full of people trying to get to work, it is what makes people plant explosive devices next to roads, fly planes into buildings, it is what causes war, murder and pain. it is what causes things like the inquisition, the institution of slavery, cults, and every single one of the disasterous forms that politics has taken in human history.

i have had nothing but ridicule for idealists my entire life and that will not change. the world is under zero mandate to order itself according to the ideaology of one group of people or another.

i hate the very f*cking word idealism.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'll agree with Mike here, but I won't go as far as "hate". But ideals and idealism are a naive state of mind that need to be cleansed. In another world, ideals may work. But in this f*cked up world we live in, they don't. If we were to do a clean reboot and just educate everybody from the get-go, then yeah. Go idealism. But in a world where white trash creationists have the same voting priviledges as educated and realistic people, ideals loose much of their meaning.

Human rights, you may cry out. Why would you be given rights? The only "right" you should have is the "right" to live. All other rights you should prove yourself worthy off. You have to take a driver's ed. test to get the "right" to drive a car, right? So why are there so many other things that you can do just because you were born?

Also, and I'm not kidding now, but all the major coorporations have to go. By simply living in today's western world you are most likely indulging in X amount of actions per day that infringe on other people's "rights". The very same "rights" that you would whine your ass off if they were ever withheld from you.

Meh, America? I pledge alliegance to the united coorporations of america. They have just as much, if not more, to say about today's politics than you. The plebs.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    The only "right" you should have is the "right" to live. All other rights you should prove yourself worthy off.
    There have been over 118 million people who were discovered under the tyrannies of the Soviet Union and Red China and the regimes of Cambodia and N. Korea to not have the "right" to live after all. I suppose they just shouldn't have existed because they weren't proving themselves worthy enough of living. Fascinating enough, the Ideology of Communism has killed more people in the last 100 years than every religious-oriented conflict in world history. And that's rather impressive!

I don't think the issue is ideology so much as dogmatic zeal in believing one ideology is ultimately superior to any other ideology in existence and that the adherents to said ideology are somehow a "Vanguard" in being wiser than all the other fools out there. This leads to oppression whether by religion or by State-sanctioned ideology - both equally as damaging and destructive when set apart as being somehow "superior" to all other thoughts on the nature of humanity and the world around us.

Live and let live - I don't care if my neighbor believes that the world is flat and my other neighbor believes aliens visits him on a regular basis. The only thing that bothers me is dogmatic zealousness in believing that all others who do not subscribe to this point of view are somehow not as educated or less civilized or, in any way, lacking from others. And this dogmatism is the downfall of people.

j.p.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Live and let live? Live and educate, that's what I say. Knowledge should be our key to a greater society, that should be our one unifying goal. To set out and educate everyone. As long as there are stupid people, we might as well take any of the ideals mentioned in this thread and wipe our asses with them. They're not worth shit, either it be in the USSR or the USA.

Super Moderator

United States
    I think some of you jabronis forgot to clock out when you left the ring and are posting in your WWE personas.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany