Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The House Of The Devil

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Doesn't Netflix have a deal with most of the production companies that their new releases can't be rented out for a month or so after initial release? I remember reading something like that. They're trying to pursuade people into buying rather than renting.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Doesn't Netflix have a deal with most of the production companies that their new releases can't be rented out for a month or so after initial release? I remember reading something like that. They're trying to pursuade people into buying rather than renting.
    Dunno, but there are definitely exceptions, if that's the case. Then again, this sucker was listed as an '09 production according to netflix, which gels with the wiki entry I just checked for the film. So my guess is it's 'new', but not brand spanking new.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It depends on the studio. Netflix has arrangements with some studios to wait 30 days after the original release date before allowing rental on items. In return studios give Netflix more titles for instant streaming as studios believe this will give them an extra proffit for selling the film instead of people waiting another 30 days to rent it after it comes out to purchase. They do not have this agreement with all studios but only certain ones.

Doesn't make an impact with me other than waiting an extra 30 days to get the rental of it (which doesn't bother me). I've already waited 4-5 months to see it on DVD another month won't hurt me (remember the days of VHS when we had to wait about a year?). I figure I'm not spending $10 to see it in a theatre and I sure won't spend $15+ to buy it, so another month or so to see if for less than $1 won't hurt anything.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    I've also noticed several of my netflix DVDs stamped or having the netflix logo on the disc itself. Anyone else see this?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I've also noticed several of my netflix DVDs stamped or having the netflix logo on the disc itself. Anyone else see this?
    Yes, if you look at the disc when you have one like this you'll notice a barcode on there too. The reason they do that is for people that lose their envelope to put the DVD/Blu-Ray into before mailing it back in the mailer. If you lose your envelope for the DVD/Blu-Ray you can stick it into the envelope of another mailer and in theory they can just pull it out of the envelope when they receive it and scan it as coming back (this way you can put two films in the same envelope to mail back in a mailer if you lose one of hte envelopes). This probably does great things as far as them combating shrinkage/loss as well.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Yes, if you look at the disc when you have one like this you'll notice a barcode on there too. The reason they do that is for people that lose their envelope to put the DVD/Blu-Ray into before mailing it back in the mailer. If you lose your envelope for the DVD/Blu-Ray you can stick it into the envelope of another mailer and in theory they can just pull it out of the envelope when they receive it and scan it as coming back (this way you can put two films in the same envelope to mail back in a mailer if you lose one of hte envelopes). This probably does great things as far as them combating shrinkage/loss as well.

j.p.
    Gotcha. I was thinking some were exclusive to Netflix.