Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tim Burton/Johnny Depp love affair continues...

United States

The Tim Burton/Johnny Depp love affair continues...

just read that a remake of dark shadows is in the works, directed by tim burton and starring....wait for it.....his man-crush johnny depp. probably a safe bet that helena bonham carter will be in there too.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/seth...h-johnny-depp/

south park hit the nail on the head:

i really can't stand tim burton films (okay there's a couple i like: mars attacks and big fish), even more so when johnny depp is in them. looking ahead, he's also set to do an adams family film...wonder if his boy-toy will be in that one? maybe his wife as well?

EDIT: sorry, embedding not allowed on that video, but click the link.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 16-Jul-2010 at 11:23 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I too have grown tired of Burton's routine, but he's still had a hand in some kick-ass films. Batman was legendary for it's time, Beetlejuice and Pee Wee are still among of my favorites, Ed Wood is a good slice of fun, Edward Scissor hands is a modern day fairytale, and Big Fish is a very moving film.

Those films aside, he really doesn't seem to have an original idea left in him. That South Park clip is right, but come on....what do the creators of South Park actually like? They rip on everything as if their show is the greatest since Flying Circus. South Park should've faded away years ago. The only reason they stick with it is because they can't make a good film to save their lives. Their potty humor is wearing thin, but you don't see them calling themselves out on that one, now do you?

Anyway.....Burton needs to take a break and re-think where he's going. Especially after the awful Alice in Wonderland. That much I agree with - But the guy has more positive credits under his belt than the South Park guys. It's funny that they're making fun of Burton for becoming a single-note filmmaker while they've ALWAYS been single-note.
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Jul-2010 at 06:37 PM.

United States
    I wish these two would just f*ck and get it over with.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Love or hate Burton's films....its quite common for filmmakers to work with the same person repeatedly. Scorcese & Deniro, Coppola & Brando, Tarantino & Jackson, Welles & Cotton, Lucas & Ford, Donner & Gibson, etc.

United States
    Didn't I read somewhere where Burton is Depp's son's godfather or Depp is Burton's son's godfather or something along those lines?

Hey, I'll make an admission that I freaking loved "Sweeney Todd" -- even though it's an obvious re-do (like ALL His recent work). Helena Bonham Carter is hot in it too. I'd actually love to purchase this on blu-ray eventually.

I'm also growing tired of most of his re-makes/re-hashes/re-done's. It's just repetitive and silly. The man did some amazing films -- mostly when he still worked with my future girlfriend/wife/woman of desire Winona Ryder. Anything with Winona gets my thumbs up (and that's not the only thing ).

I'll check out about anything Burton does because I enjoy his stories that he shares (even if they are re-tellings as all are it seems now), but I'd actually love to see him work with someone other than Depp and Carter. (Like say, my darling Winona again -- which won't happen since his beloved Johnny is no longer dating her).

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ugh you know why dont you? because jhonny depp can act, and act well. Take him away from burton and he cant pedal his black and white striped quasi-goth-tweeny bopper shit in hot topic no more.

If it comes to the two i'll watch depp do another jack sparrow on screen long before i'll see burton do another of every fucking thing he does.

United States
    depp is okay outside of tim burton's work. blow, fear and loathing in las vegas, donnie brasco, & what's eating gilbert grape are examples that he can do fine without burton's finger in his ass. i just don't really care for tim burton's style of filmmaking and the fact that all he does is remakes/re-imaginings/whatever you wanna call 'em these days.

i was just scrolling through imdb looking at depp's film credits, and he's scheduled to do a movie titled "happy days" coming out in 2011.......wtf? surely they're not making a movie based on the tv series? please don't. i just can't imagine that working. at. all.

this is about as close to cool as happy days will ever get:

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Depp's new cartoon movie, Rango looks pretty good.

See if you can spot the Hunter S. Thompson reference...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    just read that a remake of dark shadows is in the works, directed by tim burton and starring....wait for it.....his man-crush johnny depp. probably a safe bet that helena bonham carter will be in there too.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/seth...h-johnny-depp/

south park hit the nail on the head:

i really can't stand tim burton films (okay there's a couple i like: mars attacks and big fish), even more so when johnny depp is in them. looking ahead, he's also set to do an adams family film...wonder if his boy-toy will be in that one too? maybe his wife as well? wonder if tim directs homemade sex tapes of his wife and johnny?

EDIT: sorry, embedding not allowed on that video, but click the link.
    What? You mean a pair of movies in the 70's and a 90's remake (with Ben Cross as Barnabas and Joanna Going(Kevin Costner's squeeze in Wyatt Earp ) as Victoria Winters ) and a rumored remake after that, which reportedly got Angel kicked off the air. This isn't enough for gothic soap fans?
    By the by, Twilighters, this is still the best Tormented Vampire Drama(Sorry Anne Rice fiends )around. Once they set loose Barnabas upon the denizens of Collinswood, that is. The Cullins clan, the Collin clan? Maybe some future writer was paying alittle homage there?

Wayne Z
    Quentin Collins: On your way to grandmothers house and low and behold who should you meet but the big bad wolf.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    why are people bitching about this? his last movie was essentially a remake and it made a BILLION dollars. get off his nuts and dont complain til his formula stops working.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Love or hate Burton's films....its quite common for filmmakers to work with the same person repeatedly. Scorcese & Deniro, Coppola & Brando, Tarantino & Jackson, Welles & Cotton, Lucas & Ford, Donner & Gibson, etc.

agreed,basscunt.....i mean bassman.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Dark Shadows? My step-mom LOVES that shit! I admit it's waaaay better than Twilight, but still not my personal bag (of course.)
    I like Burton.
    Say what you will.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Depp's new cartoon movie, Rango looks pretty good.

See if you can spot the Hunter S. Thompson reference...
    My guess is that lizard is somewhere around Barstow, Around the edge of the desert when he got hit by that car.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    ugh you know why dont you? because jhonny depp can act, and act well. Take him away from burton and he cant pedal his black and white striped quasi-goth-tweeny bopper shit in hot topic no more.
    Excuse me, but no, he can't. Johnny Depp isn't bad. He's just bland and boring, even when he's not in a Tim Burton flick. He makes a career out of taking eccentric characters and making them exceedingly dull.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Alice In...Dark Shadows? As Neil would say, Oh Dear...

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Yay!! ^^
    Haters gonna hate.