Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I'm leaving George Romero

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    i hope he takes it well. From the way that you worded it, you two must have been in a very deep, loving, fetish sex filled relationship. Now whom else is going to cover his ass in candle wax and poke holes in the side of his penis with red hot nails.

Whom i ask?
    you have my sword!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i'm brokenhearted now. the love between you and george seemed to be so pure, so forever.

i guess i'll be reading the seedy details in the next issue of "people."
    I love this guy...

Anyway, you don't like his newer films? Get over it. If you feel you need to boycott his previous three...go right ahead. As if his newer films have anything to do with the originals....

"I will never watch the original star wars trilogy because Lucas raped my childhood with the prequel trilogy. waaa waaa waaa"

Your loss. Moving on....

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    And Bassman comes in with his "smack everyone back to reality approach."

I agree George's new work is disappointing, but I am one who prefers Diary over Land and Survival, and I prefer Survival over Land. I am a zombie film fan if he keeps making them I will probably keep watching them... but yes I agree he has taken the horror element completely out of the movies with LAND and SURVIVAL.

I can't hate on George... it was his films that made me want to become a filmmaker. Even though he can't recapture that horror magic... I keep trying like hell to do it with each of my flicks. Hopefully someday someone will make a great scary Zombie film again.

(Hoping its me )
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    After sitting through three unbearable films by George (Land, Diarrhea, and Survival), I have decided that if George makes one more zombie flick, it will tip the balance to mediocre films. George will have made three good zombies films, and four bad zombies films. Why is this, I wonder?

1. The writing is bad. I'm not sure why he's blowing it now, but the dialogue and premises George has been writing about are extremely boring and uninspired. John Leguizamo ransoming a machine for US dollars???? Idiot college kids running around with HD cameras filming zombies while buddies are getting attacked??? National Guard chicks rubbing one out in a truck in the first scene of Survival??? Muldooon! You baaassstaardd!

2. Zombies are cartoons. They're not your neighbors and friends anymore. They are caricatures with demon eyes that scream. They aren't creepy anymore. It's just another "gag" on how to off a dead head.

3. George is trying too hard to "send a message". Hey, he shot Night with the idea they were shooting a monster flick. Get off the Iraq war, or how the internet works, and zombies learning.

4. Poor character development. The last character that did ANY kind of growing in a Romero zombie flick was CJ form the DAWN remake -- and that wasn't even his film.

Bob Kirkman has taken what Romero started and made it what I think is the best entertainment for zombies -- The Walking Dead. It appears the TV Show on AMC will be fantastic. I hope George can look at it (I doubt he will) and maybe learning from it and start writing a decent screenplay with some character developement and an interesting plot.

BIG DADDY SAYS AAAARRRRRGGGG!!!!

(flame suit on)
    I think I'm clearly in agreement with you as I haven't bothered even watching "Survival" yet! Can you believe that! Sort of says it all

But at least there's still life in the zombie genre! You only need to think of "The Walking Dead" for some hope!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    funny thread title aside, i gotta agree with those that say mr. romero has definitely lost his touch.

while i give him credit for shocking the hell out of me as a youth with Night, kicking my imagination into hyper-drive with dawn, and delivering a great drama with day, his last three movies have been mediocre at best (diary), unbearable and silly at their worst (land), and recently, flat-out unwatchable (survival - i actually shut it off and doubt i'll ever bother finishing it...that bad).

if romero never made another zombie picture, i feel it'd probably be for the better. just move on george, the torch is about to be picked up and carried by the walking dead.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post

if romero never made another zombie picture, i feel it'd probably be for the better.
    ditto. my interest in ol' george is pretty well confined to day and creepshow. most of his other stuff either hasn't aged well or was crap from jumpstreet.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    I agree with the OP, and moreover, I agree that this kind of sentiment should be expressed. Dead movies have become low quality mass market fodder. Child labor in foreign countries can't be far behind. Someone's gotta stand up and say enough.

And, yes, the last 3 movies do diminish the first 3. Who remembers Enron as a great, well-managed, prosperous energy company? Is Mike Tyson the greatest boxer who ever lived or is he a rapist ear-biter? How you end your reign on top is just as important as how you begin it!!

Land started the decline with ridiculous plot that told a lackluster story about a lackluster group of people. But at least the setting and visuals were compelling, and there were a few strong characters reminiscent of the original trilogy. Diary turned into a platform for crazy messages, with poor characters and implausible events, pepper-sprayed with gags. Survival just got wacky, with crazy plot, theme, characters, and gags.

Personally, I don't know why it'd take one more. I specifically didn't invite my zombie fan buddies to go see Survival with me. Not after the crap I took for dragging them to Diary. Which was the "please one more chance" after dragging them to Land.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I think I'm clearly in agreement with you as I haven't bothered even watching "Survival" yet! Can you believe that! Sort of says it all

But at least there's still life in the zombie genre! You only need to think of "The Walking Dead" for some hope!
    That is pretty damning isn't it.

I've not seen it myself yet, I just can't bring myself to wate money on a Blu-Ray that I know will be crap when there are far better titles to spend my money on.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    After sitting through three unbearable films by George (Land, Diarrhea, and Survival), I have decided that if George makes one more zombie flick, it will tip the balance to mediocre films. George will have made three good zombies films, and four bad zombies films. Why is this, I wonder?

1. The writing is bad. I'm not sure why he's blowing it now, but the dialogue and premises George has been writing about are extremely boring and uninspired. John Leguizamo ransoming a machine for US dollars???? Idiot college kids running around with HD cameras filming zombies while buddies are getting attacked??? National Guard chicks rubbing one out in a truck in the first scene of Survival??? Muldooon! You baaassstaardd!

2. Zombies are cartoons. They're not your neighbors and friends anymore. They are caricatures with demon eyes that scream. They aren't creepy anymore. It's just another "gag" on how to off a dead head.

3. George is trying too hard to "send a message". Hey, he shot Night with the idea they were shooting a monster flick. Get off the Iraq war, or how the internet works, and zombies learning.

4. Poor character development. The last character that did ANY kind of growing in a Romero zombie flick was CJ form the DAWN remake -- and that wasn't even his film.

Bob Kirkman has taken what Romero started and made it what I think is the best entertainment for zombies -- The Walking Dead. It appears the TV Show on AMC will be fantastic. I hope George can look at it (I doubt he will) and maybe learning from it and start writing a decent screenplay with some character developement and an interesting plot.

BIG DADDY SAYS AAAARRRRRGGGG!!!!

(flame suit on)
    I hate when you two fight...

Will I have to pick between you now? Where will I go to school? Will I get a new daddy?

United States

Hey, I'm not discrediting Night, Dawn, or Day, even though there are some who would say DAY is crappy too. I really loved Day because of the conflict between the two parties.
    Whoever says that about "Day" is a dumbass that should have film-watching privileges revoked.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Undisclosed

Wink ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Sooo....you're leaving Romero? I guess this means you were in some sort of intimate relationship? There's plenty of other fish in the sea, so get to swimming.
    LOL that's funny dude...i guess for us zombie geeks to say your leavin' GAR probably means you finally have a girlfriend! lmao

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    And, yes, the last 3 movies do diminish the first 3.
    I'm not so sure that they do, a good film is a good film regardless of the quality of it's sequels. I mean, Jaws will always be a great movie no matter how many Jaws: The Revenges we get - gawd bless ya Michael Caine!

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    I'm not so sure that they do, a good film is a good film regardless of the quality of it's sequels. I mean, Jaws will always be a great movie no matter how many Jaws: The Revenges we get - gawd bless ya Michael Caine!
    Were the Jaws sequels by the same guy who did the original though?
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Were the Jaws sequels by the same guy who did the original though?
    Show some respek - Spielberg handled the original while the others were....someone else...

But Spielberg and I are split up right now. He has custody of the kids. Bastard.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    But Spielberg and I are split up right now. He has custody of the kids. Bastard.
    Is that lech at least supporting you in the lifestyle to which you've become accustomed, Bass?!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany