Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I'm leaving George Romero

Undisclosed

Why I'm leaving George Romero

After sitting through three unbearable films by George (Land, Diarrhea, and Survival), I have decided that if George makes one more zombie flick, it will tip the balance to mediocre films. George will have made three good zombies films, and four bad zombies films. Why is this, I wonder?

1. The writing is bad. I'm not sure why he's blowing it now, but the dialogue and premises George has been writing about are extremely boring and uninspired. John Leguizamo ransoming a machine for US dollars???? Idiot college kids running around with HD cameras filming zombies while buddies are getting attacked??? National Guard chicks rubbing one out in a truck in the first scene of Survival??? Muldooon! You baaassstaardd!

2. Zombies are cartoons. They're not your neighbors and friends anymore. They are caricatures with demon eyes that scream. They aren't creepy anymore. It's just another "gag" on how to off a dead head.

3. George is trying too hard to "send a message". Hey, he shot Night with the idea they were shooting a monster flick. Get off the Iraq war, or how the internet works, and zombies learning.

4. Poor character development. The last character that did ANY kind of growing in a Romero zombie flick was CJ form the DAWN remake -- and that wasn't even his film.

Bob Kirkman has taken what Romero started and made it what I think is the best entertainment for zombies -- The Walking Dead. It appears the TV Show on AMC will be fantastic. I hope George can look at it (I doubt he will) and maybe learning from it and start writing a decent screenplay with some character developement and an interesting plot.

BIG DADDY SAYS AAAARRRRRGGGG!!!!

(flame suit on)
    "Totally Togepi!"

England
    I haven't seen survival, so I can't comment on it...as for the other two films, you are entirely correct IMO, how people can rip Dawn 04 while watching (and accepting) the utter shite that was Diary is completely beyond me.

I watched Land again on the TV a few weeks ago, it is mediocre at best...as for Diary, I'll probably never view it again, it sucked the big one on all levels.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Though "Diary" is far superior to "Land" -- it doesn't make it a good movie.

I'd argue that I never left Romero and appreciating his once great zombie flicks -- but Romero left us (his fans).

Should he have done this? That's a completely different argument.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Sooo....you're leaving Romero? I guess this means you were in some sort of intimate relationship? There's plenty of other fish in the sea, so get to swimming.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Sooo....you're leaving Romero? I guess this means you were in some sort of intimate relationship? There's plenty of other fish in the sea, so get to swimming.
    Well, you could say we've been taking up the pooper from him for the last several years and paying for the privilage...Sort of an abusive relationship really.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    It's not like Uwe Boll is ever going to call you, no matter what he said the next morning...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Undisclosed
    I downloaded a Fanedit version of Land, and it was a huge improvement. It basically erased the whole Big Daddy thing. It also used scenes from V for Vendetta and The Truman show and the audio from NOTLD to replace the intro. I prefer the editted intro where everyone is glued to their TV screens, and then all the viewers are gone, over the dialouge of a forced hick accent person talking about taking out his wife with a curling iron.

Even if Romero's next films are terrible, I'll still always be fan of his for the first three movies.

Undisclosed
    Swimming* Oh, hello Bob Kirkman and Frank Darabont -- you two seem to know what you are doing! Awesome!!!!

George who?

Hey, I'm not discrediting Night, Dawn, or Day, even though there are some who would say DAY is crappy too. I really loved Day because of the conflict between the two parties.

Also, Zombieland: awesome.
    Dawn 04: Pretty dang good (not as good as the original, but still entertaining and scary)
    28 days later: great...not zombies, but true to the scope of what we all enjoy here
    Last edited by Mikey; 20-Jul-2010 at 09:58 PM.
    "Totally Togepi!"

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Cheerio!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i'm brokenhearted now. the love between you and george seemed to be so pure, so forever.

i guess i'll be reading the seedy details in the next issue of "people."
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Hey, I'm not discrediting Night, Dawn, or Day, even though there are some who would say DAY is crappy too.
    But they wouldn't dare show their face on this forum!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hahaha I love how you keep calling Robert Kirkman "Bob" as if you guys are friends.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    My face when this thread.

Canada
    I hope He takes it well. From the way that you worded it, you two must have been in a very deep, loving, fetish sex filled relationship. Now whom else is going to cover his ass in candle wax and poke holes in the side of his penis with red hot nails.

Whom I ask?

United States
    I got the wax...