Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why were they looking for survivors in "DAY"?

Undisclosed

Wink

i doubt the military had an extra chopper hangin around, so it was probably john's to begin with[/QUOTE]

yeah im sure John was a hot wiring thug b4 the zombie take over!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    i doubt the military had an extra chopper hangin around, so it was probably john's to begin with
    That's the impression I got. They hired him and his chopper. I think something about it is mentioned in the film, actually. "You're only here to fly the bird" or something like that.

That brings up another point....why did nobody else in the group learn to fly?
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Aug-2010 at 10:14 PM.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAD BEAT View Post
    i doubt the military had an extra chopper hangin around, so it was probably john's to begin with
    yeah im sure John was a hot wiring thug b4 the zombie take over![/QUOTE]

RIGHT! and we're out doin traffic reports!

wake up,sucker! we're thieves and we're bad guys.

Undisclosed

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That's the impression I got. They hired him and his chopper. I think something about it is mentioned in the film, actually. "You're only here to fly the bird" or something like that.

true they had all the time in the world to learn...Rhodes could have pulled the old fake friend routine and then jacked the chopper and wouldnt have had to waste time watching Steele beat his Jungle Bunny brains out! lol

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAD BEAT View Post
    true they had all the time in the world to learn...Rhodes could have pulled the old fake friend routine and then jacked the chopper and wouldnt have had to waste time watching Steele beat his Jungle Bunny brains out! lol

most CO's arent that smart.

United States
    I think I have a decent answer for this.

Day was a great movie about showing people faced with enormous stress retreating into their own little world. They all had terrible tunnel vision. No one was looking outside their own little sphere of responsibility. No one was taking in the big picture.

And worse, no one wanted more responsibility. Why would the scientists want to learn to fly the chopper? That was someone else's job. They had enough to do conducting the research. Same for the military. Can you imagine asking Steele or Rickles to learn to fly the chopper. "I ain't doing my job and his job too."

The whole idea of someone learning to fly the chopper undermines the conflict of the movie. It would have shown empathy to another's position. It would have shown acknowledgement of another group's value.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Perhaps there wasn't time.

It's not clear how long they were there at the start of the film or how much time elapsed during the film.

However, Sarah does say that the it was all very rushed and put together in a matter of days.

Maybe it all just went to shit too quickly.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Perhaps there wasn't time.

It's not clear how long they were there at the start of the film or how much time elapsed during the film.

However, Sarah does say that the it was all very rushed and put together in a matter of days.

Maybe it all just went to shit too quickly.
    Perhaps, but I've always assumed they were down there for a while judging by the pot cultivation and amount of graves at the cave entrance. If Fran can learn as quick as she did in Dawn, i'm sure someone else could have learned during the time it took to grow that pot.

It seems like having your option of more than one pilot would be a priority. But....maybe they were just busy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Perhaps, but I've always assumed they were down there for a while judging by the pot cultivation and amount of graves at the cave entrance. If Fran can learn as quick as she did in Dawn, i'm sure someone else could have learned during the time it took to grow that pot.

It seems like having your option of more than one pilot would be a priority. But....maybe they were just busy.
    Oh, i definitely agree. But there are many things in the trilogy that are inexplicably boneheaded such as that paper mache' wall flyboy and Peter put up.

That bothers me to no end man.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

"Flyboy....We've got conceal and protect this wall in case hordes of ravenous zombies come to tear us limb for limb and ferociously eat your unborn child....

...grab the balsa wood and cardboard."

United States
    We know they were busy. They were at the end of their ropes busy. Can you imagine when Rhodes says, "What are you doing with my time?" if they respond, "Well, we were all learning to fly the chopper cause we figure this place is gonna implode, and not with my ass here it isn't."

Fran had all the time in the world by comparison.

And let's also consider Logan's statements. "Where will you go?" The basis of the situation in Day was that they had a job to do where they were, they were living in relative safety, and there was nowhere else to go anyway. They had one pilot who was in no danger, and his contribution to the end goal was minimal. Compared to Dawn where their only concern was day-to-day survival, and moving around was a fact of life. Transportation was paramount to their survival.

A better question might be why no one else was learning to do research, or finding better, safer ways to round up zombies, or build better fences/walls outside. If they were worried about transportation a better use of their time would be to scour the area for usable trucks since they had so many people and so much stuff. The military guys had tons of things they could be doing and yet they were sitting around.

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Oh, i definitely agree. But there are many things in the trilogy that are inexplicably boneheaded such as that paper mache' wall flyboy and Peter put up.

That bothers me to no end man.
    I mentioned this in another thread awhile back. My local mall has been under construction recently and they walled off a section to do it. I got to see as they did it and it looked remarkably like what Peter and Flyboy did. Very thin, little more than 2x4's and covering. Painted to match.

It looked like wall from one side but from the other looked flimsy. It made me wonder if Peter and Flyboy were using the materials they had on hand, you know, doing what would be typical inside a mall to create a temporary wall. If nothing else I felt good because what they did was EXACTLY what my actual mall did.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    It looked like wall from one side but from the other looked flimsy. It made me wonder if Peter and Flyboy were using the materials they had on hand, you know, doing what would be typical inside a mall to create a temporary wall. If nothing else I felt good because what they did was EXACTLY what my actual mall did.
    That's probably true but you would think they would put something sturdy behind it, a file cabinet! something !

United States
    One of my most favorite Rhodesisms is when he makes the comment to Steel: "Get out of there Steel, we've got more important shit to do!"

I always laugh when I hear that phrase, because I just yell out: "Like what?"

What the hell is it they did (military personnel) when they weren't rounding up ghouls for Dr. "Daddy never loved me" Logan? We know some of them smoked pot and they fought alot. Who knows? Maybe Miller was a genius and he was working on preparing for the taking the Bar exam and Johnson and Torrez were having a secret sordid affair with one another.

I think one thing they should have touched on the film that was left out was what exactly the military personnel did when they weren't smoking pot or Miller wasn't studying for the Bar.

Then again, Romero has never been one for military people who actually think -- one of his weaknesses me thinks as there are a lot of fine folks in the military.

On a side note, weren't Rickles and Steel a bit too old to just be privates? What's up with that?

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 03-Aug-2010 at 03:39 AM.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Chasing Prey

Canada
    i think it went like this "hey, u can fly right?"

then thats all it was. they all had jobs. his job was to fly da whirl lee bird

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    On a side note, weren't Rickles and Steel a bit too old to just be privates? What's up with that?

j.p.

i think the epidemic was in full swing, no time to promote

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

"Flyboy....We've got conceal and protect this wall in case hordes of ravenous zombies come to tear us limb for limb and ferociously eat your unborn child....

...grab the balsa wood and cardboard."

LOL. ud think they woulda grabbed bags of quik rete and some water

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    They were fuck ups. But then again, maybe this was after a long enough time to lower the bar as far as letting guys like these guys in.
    And in such top physical shape, no less, guys...

Maybe they thought, "Hey, joinin' up with the Army might be better than standing behind this toolshed all day buttfucking each other. Let's give 'er..."
    Maybe I've had one toke too many...
    It's a toss up, really.