Thread: DEAD GENESIS - Review, Poster, Zombie Pics, Festival of Fear Screening

Undisclosed

DEAD GENESIS - Review, Poster, Zombie Pics, Festival of Fear Screening

Hey everyone,

Little DEAD GENESIS update:

First up, if you're in the Toronto area for this years Rue Morgue Festival of Fear you can come check out an exclusive screening of the movie on August 29th at 2pm in Room 206B. We had sent off a copy to Rue Morgue on a hunch, and I guess they liked it enough to give us a screening at their festival, so Woo hoo!

Also, an indie site online got a hold of a screener of the movie and gave it a nice little review. There will be plenty more reviews for the movie coming from various websites in the fall, but for now you can check this one out at --> http://www.inmagazine.ca/dead-genesis-movie-review/

Also, as part as some of our summer viral marketing, we've released this little video on YouTube (look for some clips from the movie coming later this August) --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D90c_J7ou8

And below you'll find the new poster for the movie, as well as some cool photos of zombies that we're using as part of our marketing!

Super Moderator

UK
    Excellent news, Sir!

The poster looks very good, especially for an indie flick, and the promo shots of the zombies look kick ass - I dig how you've left their teeth alone; it's a bug-bear of mine when people make zombie teeth all skanky and wonky and such, which makes no sense, they'd just be like people teeth but un-brushed and bloody, with the odd one broken off from hitting a bone or something perhaps.

This looks kick ass!

Undisclosed
    Thanks Minion, glad you like it. I always felt the same way about the teeth as you did. Glad I was finally able to get that across in a zombie flick! Hopefully come this fall I'll have some news and information as to when you will all be able to see the movie!

Super Moderator

United States
    The effects look great!

Really well reviewed too!

And what’s more is the fact that Dead Genesis isn’t just a great zombie movie, but dare I say that it’s also well-made and thought-provoking.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    I like the modern take on DAWN of the DEAD's famous poster boy in the third headshot, a very well-done homage. Despite sporting grotesque injuries, having the dead look like otherwise normal people instead of the obvious over-the-top Hollywood make-up jobs is a refreshing, understated style to adopt. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Really well reviewed too!
    Excepting that the reviewer shot himself in the foot right off the bat with this foolishness: "there’s plenty of wiggle room in the genre for a genuinely surprising effort that manages to breakthrough the conventions and get at you on emotional and intellectual levels beyond the merely gross. For recent examples, think of last year’s Zombieland,"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Excepting that the reviewer shot himself in the foot right off the bat with this foolishness: "there’s plenty of wiggle room in the genre for a genuinely surprising effort that manages to breakthrough the conventions and get at you an emotional and intellectual levels beyond the merely gross. For recent examples, think of last year’s Zombieland,"
    ^^ What's wrong with that? I agree!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ What's wrong with that? I agree!?
    You agree that Zombieland is an example of what the genre is capable in regards to "emotional and intellectual levels beyond the merely gross"? Seriously, aren't there much better examples to cite?

And that's only in the first two paragraphs. Is it necessary to point out that the reviewer can't seem to decide whether Dead Genesis contains/doesn't contain social commentary? It's a somewhat silly and confusingly-penned article (though not a reflection on the film being reviewed).

I'm interested to see Dead Genesis because the promo shots depict a fresh, understated approach. The most interesting part of that review is the tiny blurb at the bottom which notes an August 12th screening at the same cinema that is showing both Felini's 8.5 and Survival of the Dead. Very nice! That announcement should have been promptly displayed in the review rather than regulated to where few readers will see it.

Administrator

England
    You agree that Zombieland is an example of what the genre is capable in regards to "emotional and intellectual levels beyond the merely gross"? Seriously, aren't there much better examples to cite?
    It's a recent/current example/film? It was in the mainstream, so people are familiar with it. And it clearly shows a zombie film can be about something else other than that gore? Which is what his example is trying to show?

Really don't see a problem with it!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    It's a recent/current example/film? It was in the mainstream, so people are familiar with it. And it clearly shows a zombie film can be about something else other than that gore? Which is what his example is trying to show?

You just explained it -- the reviewer went for the most popular and familiar title. Shaun of the Dead and 29 Days Later would be much better examples to illustrate that point, but clearly won't generate as many page hits. It's always about web traffic.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree that Zombieland contains any "emotional and intellectual levels" above that of a Jennifer Aniston flick but the real problem is that it's an example of lazy writing which provides little food for thought.

Super Moderator

UK

I'm with Neil on Zombieland ... even though it's more about the characters and comedy than the zombies, the zombie angle (are they truly, technically, zombies?) is just there to service the concept ... I found ZL to be surprisingly emotional at times, it did a great job of switching from daft comedy to a truly heart-felt "omg!" moment and then right back to a guffaw - more than once. That really impressed me about that flick.

Administrator

England
    You just explained it -- the reviewer went for the most popular and familiar title. Shaun of the Dead and 29 Days Later would be much better examples to illustrate that point, but clearly won't generate as many page hits. It's always about web traffic.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree that Zombieland contains any "emotional and intellectual levels" above that of a Jennifer Aniston flick but the real problem is that it's an example of lazy writing which provides little food for thought.
    I think all your three examples are fair enough, but it's just that ZombieLand isn't 5-10yrs old, so is more contemporary.
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I found ZL to be surprisingly emotional at times, it did a great job of switching from daft comedy to a truly heart-felt "omg!" moment and then right back to a guffaw - more than once. That really impressed me about that flick.
    You gotta enjoy the little things.

It makes sense that the reviewer used ZL. It was released just a year or two ago and was/still is very popular. It doesn't however make sense because ZL was a comedy that I imagine has very little to do with Reese's flick. Just because zombies are in it, that doesn't make it a zombie film.

Anyway...good to hear about the new flick, Reese!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It doesn't however make sense because ZL was a comedy that I imagine has very little to do with Reese's flick. Just because zombies are in it, that doesn't make it a zombie film.
    Now that I think about it, this probably best states what I trying to say.

Undisclosed
    This looks great! Good luck with it. How will I be able to see this when it's available?
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by PJoseph View Post
    This looks great! Good luck with it. How will I be able to see this when it's available?
    Thanks! Well like most indie films, we're currently on the hunt for a solid distributor for it. We're playing at Rue Morgue's Festival of Fear this weekend, and then we're opening at a film festival this October... so hopefully that does us some good! We'll be sending screeners of the film out to horror sites and such to get some buzz and reviews going, so hopefully it sees the light of day soon!

Here are some clips and such from the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFlTTESFXk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEb5CImXxE0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl2MqubIjGg