Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Avengers (film)

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    U.S. Premiere is May 4th.
    WHAT! For once the UK is ahead? It's out here now!

HAHAHAHA! We win!

ps: They all die at the end!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You guys have been getting lots of movies before us lately....

As for the advanced screenings in the US, I'm hearing a general opinion of "good...but nothing special". Basically what I expected from a Marvel film. Still looking forward to seeing it, though.

-- -------- Post added 01-May-2012 at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was 27-Apr-2012 at 10:42 AM ----------

Not at all a bad flick. It's still mostly action and the usual summer fair associated with Marvel's name, but probably the best of the bunch. Definitely miles ahead of Captain America.

Surprisingly Whedon did a great job juggling all the characters. They all seem to get just the right amount of screen time and their chemistry together is great. Lots of good laughs. Especially regarding the Hulk who, by the way, is the best interpretation of the character yet. Mark Ruffallo does a fantastic job as Banner.

Nothing particularly deep or meaningful and the ending is very reminiscent of Transformers and superhero flicks of the past, but still a great way to waste two hours with some solid action and comedy.
    Last edited by bassman; 01-May-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    WHAT! For once the UK is ahead? It's out here now!

HAHAHAHA! We win!

ps: They all die at the end!
    *sings*

United Kingdom - FUCK YEAH!!!

Saw it last night - LOVED IT - I loved Iron Man, really enjoyed Thor, really enjoyed Captain America, so I was bound to enjoy The Avengers (or "Marvel Avengers Assemble" as it's clunkily called in the UK because of that other movie called The Avengers from the friggin' 1990s ) - however, I didn't know I'd enjoy it as much as I actually did. I had a blast - and so did the audience - numerous moments where everyone laughed hard and loud - some pitch perfect moments of humour to pop the tension at the right moment, and stop the flick from getting to seri-arse.

As bassman said, Whedon did a FANTASTIC job of juggling the characters, even in the action scenes you knew where everyone was, and what they were doing. Michael Bay should take note - this is how you handle a ridiculously huge movie.

I've heard the 3D was post-conversion, and we saw it in 3D (because the 2D times didn't suit unfortunately), however the 3D was pretty well done if it was post-conversion. I saw Thor in 3D and it was fucking awful 3D. Thor's 3D was too dark and barely made any noticeable effect - The Avengers on the other hand was much brighter (even though I've heard some viewers complain that the opening 15 minutes were very dark - not the case in our screening) and the effect was much more evident. 3D is still a gimmick, mind, so my opinion there hasn't changed.

The screening was pretty packed, and everybody was really into the flick - so it was a good experience - however the multiplex we go to has definitely gone down in my estimation. The staff are getting dumber and slower, and they weren't smart or fast in the first place. This, and expense, and lack of staff, is why I now only go to the cinema for sure things. There hasn't been much to see recently anyway, but the last time I saw a flick at the cinema, before The Avengers, was going to see The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo at the beginning of January with my Dad (and in that screening the staff were so few they forgot to turn the lights off, so I had to bloody well get up and tell them ... I hate missing even a minute of a film I've paid to see in the cinema, even on bargain tuesday).

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What did you think of the Hulk, MZ? Ruffallo felt like the first "real" Banner/Hulk to me. Somehow it just worked much better than Norton and Bana.

If any character felt kinda out of place it was Hawkeye. He gets lots of screen time, but he just didn't feel fleshed out enough, imo. Then there's the conversations between him and....

Black Widow that hint at some sort of turbulent past, but nothing ever really becomes of it?!?
    I get what they were trying to do, but it just felt rushed and like certain sections were dropped. Perhaps they'll be replaced in a dvd version of the film.

And just for kicks(don't view if you haven't seen the movie):

Super Moderator

UK
    Bassman - I loved the Hulk in this flick. I had zero interest in seeing either previous Hulk films, so I can't really compare to them, but I thought Ruffalo did an excellent job, as did Whedon. When he first turns he's absolutely terrifying, and then he gets really awesome later on - as for your second spoiler tagged thing, haha, yeah, that was amazing - the entire cinema burst out laughing. Perhaps the biggest laugh of them all - everybody loved that moment - it was great.

I've heard that there will be an extended version on dvd/br - but that's only second-hand info, so it might not be true, but apparently some extended stuff will give more focus to Captain America adjusting to modern day life. I do also hope there's a bit more for Black Widow/Hawkeye ... perhaps we'll get more for them in The Avengers 2.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Bassman - I loved the Hulk in this flick. I had zero interest in seeing either previous Hulk films, so I can't really compare to them.
    I finally got around to seeing the 2nd one a couple weeks ago, & was surprised that I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not the greatest, but enjoyable. They handled the story & the character properly at least. It was almost enough to wash the bad taste out of my mouth from the horrendous first one.

Super Moderator

UK
    Okay, I put my thoughts together more fully here:

http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...-assembly.html

Administrator

England
    ^^ Non spoiler opinion?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Just watched it and im kinda surprised. I found it really, really dull. generic, unoriginal waste of an opportunity was what i felt as i walked out. and i was pumped. been reading the avengers for a long ass time.
    This is honestly another marvel movie in the vein of daredevil, HULK or thor. its competent enough. but it only exists as a vehicle to set up part of a franchise. The acting is good at times, particularly the dude playing banner, but on the whole the plot is just banal crap on the level of transformers 3. with all of whedons usual tropes thrown in.

I went in without reading the reviews and looking at them now i am flabbergasted. people actually consider this better than the dark knight? its not. as a cape movie, a team flick or certainly not as a work of cinema. its basically the same kind of waste of time as green lantern. its a hodge podge of bits from early comics to make an origin flick where the enemy and plot are the flimsiest strings to get the heros together. and it doesnt work.

some clarification after leaving it for a bit longer: this film is boring, utterly. but its boring in most part because its LONG AS SHIT. know the enemy from the trailer? yeah, thats all from the last 20 minutes of a 142 minute runtime. that means almost 2 solid hours of sitting on your ass watching joss whedon at his dollhouse tier worst spouting waspish witticisms through the characters as they argue. thats it. i mean its rare i just say it but this isnt even worth a pirate. its just a popcorn flick, and not a good one at that. i cannot think of any reason to watch this film. downey isnt as good as in iron man or iorn man 2, steve rogers and thor are a waste. the villain is generic when he should be the most hannibal lector level tactician of all cape flick villains and it all comes together as a complete waste of your finite lifespan.
    Last edited by Danny; 03-May-2012 at 03:12 AM. Reason: asdas

Super Moderator

UK
    Okay, I put my thoughts together more fully here:

http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...-assembly.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ Non spoiler opinion?
    Always.

Administrator

England
    Always.
    Seeing it next Tuesday. Think I'll see it 2D!?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    generic, unoriginal waste of an opportunity was what i felt as i walked out.
    Whew. I was beginning to think I was the only one that thought so. My opinion isn't as strongly negative as yours because I still enjoyed it for the summer flick it was meant to be, but the way people are praising this thing across the net is nothing short of ridiculous. They're all saying that it's the greatest superhero film of all time? It's set a standard for which every following superhero flick must meet? A perfect film?!?

The flick will no doubt explode with box office cash, but the contents of the actual film are very, very average. I think they've done a great job at handling so many characters and they've met the usual summer flick quota of explosions and action every 2.5 minutes, but the praise is just WAYYY too over the top right now. This reminds me of The Dark Knight going to number one on IMDB's top 250. I love TDK, but WTF are these people thinking?

It's a fun ride, but the best superhero film of all time, The Avengers is not. Not by a long shot.
    Last edited by bassman; 03-May-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I found it really, really dull. generic, unoriginal waste of an opportunity was what i felt as i walked out.
    So, this is just another Avatar?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    So, this is just another Avatar?
    YES. you have no idea how correct that statement is. already online this is the new avatar, people saying its meh are being flamed like mad by people yet to see it saying its 'the blockbuster that changes everything forever'.

the thing that i found telling was all my mates said "its good" if they liked it, but that was always followed by "for what it is" or "if you can switch your brain off for about 3 hours" or "compared to spiderman 3"...

United States
    In a world where terrible has become the new mediocre, mediocre becomes the new great.

I am looking forward to seeing it, but not overly excited, & have no expectations beyond seeing a bunch of guys dressed up like Iron Man & Captain America playing "superhero" for a couple hours. As long as they get that right & don't screw it up I'll probably reasonably satisfied.