Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead - Comic Book Series Discussion (**SPOILERS**)

England
    And volumes 1&2 are here in all of their hardback, look sweet on the coffee table or book case glory...

I think that is my reading material for the week all stitched up.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    And volumes 1&2 are here in all of their hardback, look sweet on the coffee table or book case glory...

I think that is my reading material for the week all stitched up.
    Those are great hardbacks. I have 1-4...every once in a while amazon has a buy one get one free sale. I'm not sure if it works in the UK but it's worth a shot. Happy reading!

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Issue 75

What did you guys think about issue #75, the dream sequence and all??? I remember reading the early letter columns, and Kirkman saying he would do that if they got to 75 issues and he had run out of ideas, so I thought it was cool.

Just read 76 this morning, not one zombie in it, but very cool info regarding the community they are in now.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Those are great hardbacks. I have 1-4...every once in a while amazon has a buy one get one free sale. I'm not sure if it works in the UK but it's worth a shot. Happy reading!
    They tend to do that more with CD's/DVD's over here, that said, I've not noticed any offers like that recently.

I've a funny feeling that once I've hammered the volumes 1&2, I will grab the other 3 that are currently available (then wait until October for Vol 6).
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprJoinT View Post
    What did you guys think about issue #75, the dream sequence and all??? I remember reading the early letter columns, and Kirkman saying he would do that if they got to 75 issues and he had run out of ideas, so I thought it was cool.

Just read 76 this morning, not one zombie in it, but very cool info regarding the community they are in now.
    76 was a goddamn excellent issue in a very reinvigorating story arc. Not a single zombie, well, maybe one in a teeny panel, but bugger me this is great dramatic writing.

You people just getting into it have a LOT to look forward too, after the slow prison arc it just keeps getting better.

Undisclosed
    I honestly thought the end of the Prison Arc was the best. After issue 49 it slowly picked up, and is finally on gear toward more epic stuff to happen'.

That is my opinion, anyway.

Canada

Tyreese and Lori, and Shanes kid all die

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post

Tyreese and Lori, and Shanes kid all die
    It doesn't help that

Patricia, Alice, Billy, Hershel, Lori, Judith, and the Govna' all die in one friggin' issue. Seems like Kirkman was doing some spring cleaning. It's a shame, as Hershel was one of my favorite characters.

Undisclosed
    Yeah, issue 50 was pretty brutal. i have a feeling that the series (if it lasts that long) will handle this kind of thing better; simply because they, as Kirkman himself said, have a roomful of writers while he just wrote it in his den.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Well my copy of Volume One (the paperback version) arrived today and I have read through from start to finish in one sitting. I have to say I was ready not to like it as im not a comic type of guy but I was gripped and couldnt put it down. Im leave in a couple of weeks and intend to order a few more volumes to keep me busy.

Ill be giving this one another ready before I do though!!
    If Goonies never die are they all Zombies??!!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by BotOZombie View Post
    Well my copy of Volume One (the paperback version) arrived today and I have read through from start to finish in one sitting. I have to say I was ready not to like it as im not a comic type of guy but I was gripped and couldnt put it down. Im leave in a couple of weeks and intend to order a few more volumes to keep me busy.

Ill be giving this one another ready before I do though!!
    Beware though, starting in the next TPB, the artist changes from Tony Moore to Charlie Aldard. I prefer the latter, but some were turned off by the change.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I noticed that and I have to say I have my fingers crossed that the replacement artist is an improvement because I think the artwork is a huge selling point of Volume One, it is just great to look at.
    If Goonies never die are they all Zombies??!!

Undisclosed
    It's nice that there is finally a twd thread... That was the one thing I noticed when I migrated that basically no one was reading this book... Also Adlard is really not even in the same ballpark as Moore... But the writing is mostly so good it makes up for it... I think there has been some misfires by Kirkman(the guv was kind of a cartoon and and became a bad plot device) and tpb readers will not be put through some of the suffering monthly readers go through... But overall those who are just jumping in have a nice ride ahead of em.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Undisclosed
    I actually am not a fan of Tony Moore's art. I can just never get into the stuff he does, I have no idea why. I'm not saying Aldard is amazing, but I just prefer his art.

And I loved the Govna'.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tongue View Post
    I actually am not a fan of Tony Moore's art. I can just never get into the stuff he does, I have no idea why. I'm not saying Aldard is amazing, but I just prefer his art.

And I loved the Govna'.
    The guv was ok until he literally turned into a b-grade bad guy who just would not die...

and for the record this:
    Sealed the deal...
    I couldn't not think of this:

When Kirkman started to try and ham fist title selling archs into his writing style is when the book started to loose something.. Up until that he mostly stuck with loose archs and writing by the seat of his pants... And the guv would have croaked from Michonne work... And if not infection would have surely finished him off...

Kirkman decided to part from his normally very realistic stlye in favor of keeping the villain around for his 6part story arch to sell books... And he returned to that traditional comic b.s. like less then ten issues later with the hunter arch with basically the same marketing tilte "How will live and who will die?" It seems doubly redundant as beside that being the catch phrase for the end of the prison/major guv arch but that has been a staple of the entire series.

As I said earlier if someone was not a monthly reader they may not have been bombarded with these adds and also would not have to wait a month (sometimes 3) between issues so without that kind of wait maybe more forgiving of some of said issues... This was a pretty heated issue over at the image forums.. Many got banned and Kirkman lost a lot of long time twd fans over the major guv arch.

I can say im personally glad the book is back to what makes it good and the book seems to be back on a monthly basis... That is another big issue I have... As a monthly reader since around issue 9 there has been WAY too many schedule delays and there is always some lame excuse and then an apology stating there is no excuse and that it wont happen again... For a while i stopped paying for the comic and just dl'd it and then every 3 or 4 months I would go in and pick up the issues for my collection.... Again not that much of an issue if your a tpb reader... But for the folks ho are the monthly readers(i.e. the people that mad twd a success that warranted the tpb's to be printed) it is kind of a slap in the face to continually fall so far behind... The should be at issue 82 not 76.
    Last edited by CooperWasRight; 20-Aug-2010 at 08:02 PM.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528