Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead - Comic Book Series Discussion (**SPOILERS**)

Super Moderator

UK

Post The Walking Dead - Comic Book Series Discussion (**SPOILERS**)

Use this thread to discuss the Walking Dead comic series freely.

Warning - there will be spoilers about the comic book arcs in this thread.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Warning - there will be spoilers about the comic book arcs in this thread.
    Like Rick's 4-color superhero fever dream?
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

England
    My two collected hardback volumes (containing issues 1-24) have shipped from Amazon. Hopefully, I will have them by Saturday.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    YES! I've been awaiting a thread like this!

Now, I find myself unable to come up with something to discuss.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Hello folks.

It has been a few years since I have logged in, but my interest has been massively triggered by the news of The Walking Dead TV series. I am seeking advice on if I should buy TWD comic books while waiting for the DVD release (I have no cable/sky) or should I wait to enjoy the story on the screen? Also I have no comic reading history apart from Dandy and Beano when I was a nipper.

I have been looking on Amazon.co.uk and the best option seems to be the The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1 for the first 48 volumes, although im sceptical it is in stock due to the anticipated delivery time.

So the questions are

A) should I buy them or wait
    B) what version should I buy.

Thank in advance and sorry if I have posted in the wrong place.

Edit - I have just realised my last sign in would have been 2006
    Last edited by BotOZombie; 14-Aug-2010 at 08:20 PM.
    If Goonies never die are they all Zombies??!!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Like Rick's 4-color superhero fever dream?
    No way man, those aliens are real!

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BotOZombie View Post
    Hello folks.

It has been a few years since I have logged in, but my interest has been massively triggered by the news of The Walking Dead TV series. I am seeking advice on if I should buy TWD comic books while waiting for the DVD release (I have no cable/sky) or should I wait to enjoy the story on the screen? Also I have no comic reading history apart from Dandy and Beano when I was a nipper.

I have been looking on Amazon.co.uk and the best option seems to be the The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1 for the first 48 volumes, although im sceptical it is in stock due to the anticipated delivery time.

So the questions are

A) should I buy them or wait
    B) what version should I buy.

Thank in advance and sorry if I have posted in the wrong place.

Edit - I have just realised my last sign in would have been 2006
    I've been buying since issue #1 and the during the first few years, I'd tell you to wait for the trade due to lateness. However, over the last 2 years or so, Kirkman & Co has been on time (12 issues a year). It's one of the first comics I read when I receive my pull pile.

United States
    welcome back, stranger. i myself have the annual hardcover books, probably much easier go pack around than a huge compendium behemoth. and read it...while the tv series is gonna be awesome, there's a long while to go before they catch up on some of the awesome events of the comics...additionally, the tv series won't follow the comics exactly, and it's worth reading regardless.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I agree about the size of the compendium it looks huge so I think I may buy volume 1 of the paper back to see if I like it or not. Plus it is much cheaper than the Hardcover versions.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    try the first issue, first tastes always free http://www.newsarama.com/php/multime...m.php?gid=1358

England
    I agree about the size of the compendium it looks huge so I think I may buy volume 1 of the paper back to see if I like it or not. Plus it is much cheaper than the Hardcover versions.
    Actually it works out around the same if you are buying them in 2's (2 TPB's = 1 HB), which is why I went for the hardbacks (which better bloody well be here Monday...I was gutted when they didn't turn up yesterday).

I nearly went for the big-ass Compendium, but it looked a bit unwieldly.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 15-Aug-2010 at 12:18 PM.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I nearly went for the big-ass Compendium, but it looked a bit unwieldly.
    Come on, take a chance! You English folks are too used to your consise-sized newspapers...my Liverpool born wife always complains about reading the dailys here and needing two arms to look at the whole thing.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Come on, take a chance! You English folks are too used to your consise-sized newspapers...my Liverpool born wife always complains about reading the dailys here and needing two arms to look at the whole thing.
    Hey! I'll have you know that our comics are bigger than those puny little American ones!

Seriously though, the compendium is over 1000 pages, to get to the heart of that is going to mean cracking the spine a fair bit (which I hate doing to my books). Hardbacks just sort of fall open.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    try the first issue, first tastes always free http://www.newsarama.com/php/multime...m.php?gid=1358
    Thanks for that hellsing. I can see why people like the series as this story alone has a lot of charm. The zombie design is great and there are some that could potentially look great on the big screen. I think I will buy volume one and take it from there based upon reading this.

Obviously we have seen the bike woman, but also the Z at the police station and the one who took the trip down the steps with Rick could look good on screen. I hope the TV show lingers on the time spent with Morgan to fill in for Rick and the viewer what has happened while he was in the coma

Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Seriously though, the compendium is over 1000 pages, to get to the heart of that is going to mean cracking the spine a fair bit (which I hate doing to my books). Hardbacks just sort of fall open.
    That was my thought too. I suspect you would start with one big 1000 page book and end up with several books of differing sizes!!!

England
    That was my thought too. I suspect you would start with one big 1000 page book and end up with several books of differing sizes!!!
    Good call.

Undisclosed
    I love this series so much. I can't believe it has been so long since I have been reading it monthly(Since 2004.) time flies.

I am starting to dig this new arc. Anyone read 76?

That community is in trouble, either by characters from its past, or the survivors that were near Glen in this issue. "Was that a Motorcycle?". And what is with that "Next time" cover? That looked a bit like Maggie.