Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Duke Nukem Forever" not dead?

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Most weird.

Out of the two though, I'd rather have Colonial Marines.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Most weird.

Have you tried Alien Swarm (free off Steam)? Played it with some friends last Friday and quite good fun!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Most weird.

Oh no doubt. Colonial Marines all day!

DNF is like a punchline already.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Have you tried Alien Swarm (free off Steam)? Played it with some friends last Friday and quite good fun!
    Have seen videos of it, but it's not really my kind of game ... plus I cannot stand Steam.

Administrator

England
    plus I cannot stand Steam.
    What's wrong with Steam? Keeps all your games upto date automatically, plus makes lpaying with friends far easier!?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    What's wrong with Steam? Keeps all your games upto date automatically, plus makes lpaying with friends far easier!?
    But it means you have to have your gaming rig online - and not everybody wants to have their gaming rig online, nevermind the fact it's not in the same room (or floor, or side) of the house as the internet (and screw wireless, I like wires). It's the same reason I despise that "always online" DRM nonsense (which all that does is succeed in inspiring me not to buy games on the PC).

It takes an age to update anything too, so I've found.

I wanted to be able to download the PC demo of Mafia 2 - but no, I wasn't allowed, because it was only on Steam, rather than the good old days of not too long ago when you could just download an .exe from a kosher site and transfer it via memory stick to wherever you want.

Administrator

England
    But it means you have to have your gaming rig online - and not everybody wants to have their gaming rig online, nevermind the fact it's not in the same room (or floor, or side) of the house as the internet (and screw wireless, I like wires). It's the same reason I despise that "always online" DRM nonsense (which all that does is succeed in inspiring me not to buy games on the PC).

It takes an age to update anything too, so I've found.

I wanted to be able to download the PC demo of Mafia 2 - but no, I wasn't allowed, because it was only on Steam, rather than the good old days of not too long ago when you could just download an .exe from a kosher site and transfer it via memory stick to wherever you want.
    Fair enough... As for taking an age to update, surely that's down to your connection speed.

Personally I like it as it's make life super easy. Click of a button and a game is installed. And I know it's always upto date etc etc...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Fair enough... As for taking an age to update, surely that's down to your connection speed.

Personally I like it as it's make life super easy. Click of a button and a game is installed. And I know it's always upto date etc etc...
    Anytime I've used Steam to download something, it's always taken longer than what it'd take if I was just downloading an .exe file from a kosher website.

England
    I dont like steam either, I dislike the fact that you buy a hard copy of a game, and still have to activate it via steam which sometimes takes forever, and I hate it when you have a spare hour for a bit of gaming, try to start a game up, and the steam servers are down, or it tries to update on boot up & takes an age to do it without giving you the option of running in offline mode it has its benefits of course, but on the whole I find it a awkward & controlling way of playing your games & would rather not have it & just be able to download demos from the devs websites.

As for Duke Nukem, I lost interest a long time ago, its been in development for so long that the last load of screenshots that were released looked completely outdated,and that was well over a year ago! Duke 3D was a good blast when it came out, but I was a kid then, as an adult it probably wouldnt float my boat anyway...
    Last edited by Tricky; 13-Aug-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, I do wonder about that fact - that I'm not 13 anymore - would Duke Nukem still interest me? Duke Nukem 3D was the tits back in the day, but DNF for me aged 26? Who knows...

As for Steam - yes, it's a fiddly, faffy, and controlling way of gaming. I also rather disliked how it decided to change my settings, so I could no longer play in offline mode - so that stuffed me for playing Half-Life 2 (at least I'd played that game through like 5 times at that point though, so I'd had my fill) ... but yes, the controlling way of it I don't like at all. Fiddly and slow too. A right old faff.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    They have released Duke Nukem': the Manhattan Project on x box live and it defnitely has a sega Genesisy, side scroller feel to it. Decent enough game if you like that sort of thing.

So it might fly with as an x box live title but a game in that mold wouldn't as a retail release, imo. Not for 60 dollars atleast.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    At this point I wish this new game and character would just die.

They seem just as confused about this game as Anne Heche is about her sexuality. "I'm gay!" "I'm straight!" Just fucking decide something already...

Undisclosed

Metroid: Other M

I am playing it now. It is a cross between Metroid and Ninja Gaiden.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    So... it kicks ass, then? I mean, from that description... yeah.
    "I'm getting one" - Peregrin Took